Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

47 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I know! #lifegoals

Chris is impressed! And she wants to know which was better.

Iguassu falls. Mostly because you could get up close.

Almost like Niagara without the boat .

If you could copter over Vic falls that would be super or take the Blue train thru the mist.

Edited by zqtchas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Iguassu falls. Mostly because you could get up close.

Almost like Niagara without the boat .

Oh well. We've been there already. Now I guess we need to look for someplace else... 😉 (Just kidding! They both look worthy of a visit.)

We visited both the Argentinian and Brazilian sides. They were different and complemented each other very well. From the Argentinian side there were a number of great hikes and you could walk out into the middle of Devil's Throat. It was a spectacle. The power of the falls was unreal.

From Brazil you got a better overview of the many different falls from the opposite bank. And you could get a different perspective of Devil's Throat - from below the falls level, not above.

Will have to figure out how to get as many views of Victoria Falls as possible.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Coolers - anyone been to either Namibia or Botswana?   Looking for a place to go in October. Botswana seems to have some great lodges and the Okavango Delta looks like a unique place. We've looked at some of the A&K itineraries and also the Sanctuary Lodges. Sanctuary also offers a lodge-hopping itinerary which includes a few days near Victoria Falls to start. We're looking for a mix of game viewing and "other" since we've done a few safaris in the past.   We have looked at Namibia for years but cannot get a feel for how to best visit there.

Yes, Botswana is awesome!!  As detailed in the live/blog below, we did three different Belmond camps in Botswana.  You fly between the camps and getting those "logistic" correct and seamless if vital.   Prior to Botswana, we did Victoria Falls, etc.  Amazing, too!  From friends who have been to Namibia, it is nice, but more only about the landscapes.  

In Botswana, it is all about the wonderful range of animals and that they are managing these areas well to avoid too much of the "mass tourism" with the excessive crowds, etc., that can marginalize the desired experience.  From our former Columbus Zoo director here, who has visited Africa more than twenty five times, he rates Botswana as the "Best of the Best"!  

Will share and explain more later.  Getting ready to head out to dinner now and can share more specifics and background later.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,903 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Coolers - anyone been to either Namibia or Botswana?

Looking for a place to go in October. Botswana seems to have some great lodges and the Okavango Delta looks like a unique place. We've looked at some of the A&K itineraries and also the Sanctuary Lodges. Sanctuary also offers a lodge-hopping itinerary which includes a few days near Victoria Falls to start. We're looking for a mix of game viewing and "other" since we've done a few safaris in the past.

We have looked at Namibia for years but cannot get a feel for how to best visit there. Some of the landscapes look unique, and we've actually done a series of virtual walks through Namibia on our treadmill... It looks like a place we must visit, but it seems that everything is far-flung and connecting the dots might be a challenge. Also, it seems that nobody offers an itinerary that COMBINES Victoria Falls with both Botswana and Namibia, which would be perfect for a 2-week trip.

Any advice welcome!

While you go Africa in October, I have plans to go to New Orleans for a conference in October. Any advice welcome. I may have 3 or 4 days after the conference.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lirio said:

While you go Africa in October, I have plans to go to New Orleans for a conference in October. Any advice welcome. I may have 3 or 4 days after the conference.

check out Commander's Palace in the garden district. need reservations. sometimes not at lunch.

jazz festival is better than mardi gras.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

check out Commander's Palace in the garden district. need reservations. sometimes not at lunch.

jazz festival is better than mardi gras.

Living in the city of carnaval (that I do not like), I thing Mardi Gras is not the focus.....Jazz seems much better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Living in the city of carnaval (that I do not like), I thing Mardi Gras is not the focus.....Jazz seems much better.

Living near the Big Apple of Jazz, the NOLA 'Jazz' Festival doesn't feature Jazz...  But most years it has lots of mud!

• Haha 1

@jpalbny I'm not sure this is the trip you're looking for, but we did AmaWaterways' Discover Africa river cruise in 2018 and enjoyed it tremendously.  It did include Namibia – the strange little tip that separates Botswana from Zambia and is used as a border-crossing point to get to Botswana for the river cruise.  But not the part of Namibia you want to see...

Otherwise, the cruise on the Zambezi Queen was a smooth and luxurious way to view lots of wildlife [elephants, giraffes, hippos, water buffalo – but no big cats].  The trip started in Cape Town, and included a day in Chobe National Park and ended with 2 nights in Victoria Falls with ample sightseeing included [and the helicopter ride available – we did it and recommend it!].  We were then dropped off in Jo'burg; most others continued on with one of the optional extensions [Rovos Rail or South African game areas].

More details here:  jazzbeauxafricansafari2018.wordpress.com

Another option for Namibia is Noble Caledonia, which often has cruises that stop there.  None listed at the moment – but they do have two train trips to Namibia, on Rovos and Shongololo:

https://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/general_search.php?search_term=namibia

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Actually I think it’s more like Dixieland, which I like better. I did have a chance to chat with Al Hirt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqtchas said:

Actually I think it’s more like Dixieland, which I like better. I did have a chance to chat with Al Hirt.

Exactly.  Jazz was born in NOLA, but it shacked up with the blues in Kansas City and Chicago, and then flowered into its ultimate form as Bebop in NYC.  NOLA, sadly, remained stuck back at square one.

• Thanks 1

We had one of the best excursions we have ever had today in Malaga. The guide was very knowledgeable and an expert in his area. The excursion was about Picasso. Also a very good way of presenting his knowledge. 
He is an Art Historian and lecturer a part time lecturer at the University.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Coolers - anyone been to either Namibia or Botswana?

Looking for a place to go in October. Botswana seems to have some great lodges and the Okavango Delta looks like a unique place. We've looked at some of the A&K itineraries and also the Sanctuary Lodges. Sanctuary also offers a lodge-hopping itinerary which includes a few days near Victoria Falls to start. We're looking for a mix of game viewing and "other" since we've done a few safaris in the past.

We have looked at Namibia for years but cannot get a feel for how to best visit there. Some of the landscapes look unique, and we've actually done a series of virtual walks through Namibia on our treadmill... It looks like a place we must visit, but it seems that everything is far-flung and connecting the dots might be a challenge. Also, it seems that nobody offers an itinerary that COMBINES Victoria Falls with both Botswana and Namibia, which would be perfect for a 2-week trip.

Any advice welcome!

I did a Namibia tour a few years ago. We stayed at Beach Lodge in Swakopmund, with “The Wreck” restaurant. The hotel looks like the bow of a ship. This is near Walvis Bay.

There was an excellent locally run tour of “The Small Five” in the “Living Desert” tour. Fascinating!  Side wonder snake, chameleon, etc. We climbed the massive moving sand dune. Later we stayed at a lodge for a few nights, seeing lion and the smaller animals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, zqtchas said:

Have you heard of “ When the saints go marching in”?

Plus the other songs they play marching behind the street funerals?

I only know "When the saints go marching in" that I saw in several films....

• Like 1

Dinner at the Grill tonight and I must apologise to JP. Overcooked my ribeye.

CF51D367-EAF3-438E-B90E-D746038422F6.thumb.jpeg.848501aba37b014f2ac008b0c2c583e7.jpeg

On the other hand had a great night. 6 crew served us over the meal and from 6 different countries. Philipines. Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Mexico and India. The fellow from India was reserved at first but understandably as he has only been on board for 4 weeks. 
We broke the barrier when we told him Rojaan’s grandfather was born in Mumbai which is true. By the end of the meal we were getting along famously and he thanked us for chatting.

He did work at the Hyatt Dubai for 2 years before signing up.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Will have to figure out how to get as many views of Victoria Falls as possible.

As promised for J.P. and Chris, I have more to consider for Victoria Falls and Botswana.  Below are some visuals regarding Victoria Falls and nearby.  

We stayed at the Zambezi Sun Resort that is close and very handy to the falls.  It is now called the AVANI Victoria Falls Resort.  The more "classic" and costly Royal Livingstone was next door.  Had drinks and dinner there to experience their spectacular setting/atmosphere without the bigger price tag.  It is only a ten-minute walk between those two locations. A shuttle also operates between the hotels at regular intervals during the day  We did an African Queen/Princess sunset cruise in going upstream along the Zambezi River that was super wonderful with all of the wildlife, birds, etc., that we enjoyed.  See more below as proof. 

The high season here is considered from February to June.  At certain times of the year, the water flow is much, much less and you might miss the "drama" for experiencing these falls at their peak, best water flow.  Check your timing!!!  There are helicopter flights over the falls, but on many days the mist from the falls obstructs the views from above.  Plus, on the ground, hearing those chopper above was rather irritating.  

From my notes, Victoria Falls is considered one of the most spectacular plunges and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The 1.2 mile-wide Zambezi River drops more than 328 feet into this narrow and steeply-walled gorge.  At the peak times, there are 130 million gallons of water a minute thundering over these falls into the Batoka Gorge.   Need more?  Added questions?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 102,139 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is one of my visuals from being at Victoria Falls.  Even have a rainbow bonus showing for you.  Lots of moisture in the air and it damaged my camera.  Be careful!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.65f0fad7033f04b67a518e3fc28faf38.jpeg

Here are two of many highlights from doing a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River.  Like the "big mouth" displayed by this hippo?  We saw lots of them during this sailing, plus a great sunset as shown below.  Just saying the word "Zambezi" is exotic and exciting.  It was!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.62b2162b25269b93c5e15bf5901acde6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9d030edfafec22ae1357f34ca2259f42.jpeg

Here was our friendly waiter at the Royal Livingstone Hotel where we had drinks and then dinner.  Much more affordable to visit and dine here than staying in their pricy but very nice accommodations.:

image.thumb.jpeg.94b53fee59e8a88e776eb8eb684f5d79.jpeg

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

As promised for J.P. and Chris, I have more to consider for Victoria Falls and Botswana.  Below are some visuals regarding Victoria Falls and nearby.  

We stayed at the Zambezi Sun Resort that is close and very handy to the falls.  It is now called the AVANI Victoria Falls Resort.  The more "classic" and costly Royal Livingstone was next door.  Had drinks and dinner there to experience their spectacular setting/atmosphere without the bigger price tag.  It is only a ten-minute walk between those two locations. A shuttle also operates between the hotels at regular intervals during the day  We did an African Queen/Princess sunset cruise in going upstream along the Zambezi River that was super wonderful with all of the wildlife, birds, etc., that we enjoyed.  See more below as proof. 

The high season here is considered from February to June.  At certain times of the year, the water flow is much, much less and you might miss the "drama" for experiencing these falls at their peak, best water flow.  Check your timing!!!  There are helicopter flights over the falls, but on many days the mist from the falls obstructs the views from above.  Plus, on the ground, hearing those chopper above was rather irritating.  

From my notes, Victoria Falls is considered one of the most spectacular plunges and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The 1.2 mile-wide Zambezi River drops more than 328 feet into this narrow and steeply-walled gorge.  At the peak times, there are 130 million gallons of water a minute thundering over these falls into the Batoka Gorge.   Need more?  Added questions?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 102,139 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is one of my visuals from being at Victoria Falls.  Even have a rainbow bonus showing for you.  Lots of moisture in the air and it damaged my camera.  Be careful!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.65f0fad7033f04b67a518e3fc28faf38.jpeg

Here are two of many highlights from doing a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River.  Like the "big mouth" displayed by this hippo?  We saw lots of them during this sailing, plus a great sunset as shown below.  Just saying the word "Zambezi" is exotic and exciting.  It was!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.62b2162b25269b93c5e15bf5901acde6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9d030edfafec22ae1357f34ca2259f42.jpeg

Here was our friendly waiter at the Royal Livingstone Hotel where we had drinks and then dinner.  Much more affordable to visit and dine here than staying in their pricy but very nice accommodations.:

image.thumb.jpeg.94b53fee59e8a88e776eb8eb684f5d79.jpeg

Terry that looks like one of the waiters that served us at the Grill tonight. He had worked at the Royal Livingstone hotel for several years before joing Silversea. He joined to see the world but feels better and in one word he said it was respect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Terry that looks like one of the waiters that served us at the Grill tonight. He had worked at the Royal Livingstone hotel for several years before joing Silversea. He joined to see the world but feels better and in one word he said it was respect.

WOW!!  What a small, amazing world it would be if he is the same waiter we experienced in Zambia.  You'll have to show him this picture and ask.  We were there in early 2016 at Royal Livingstone Hotel.  He was very nice and wonderful in talking with him.  Glad that he is liking Silversea.