Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning.......just wanting to wish all the Mom's, Grandma's, Step Mom's, and anyone who represents that person..........A Very Happy Mother's Day🙂

Happy Mother's Day - Messages to Moms ...

• Like 3

Good Afternoon Coolers, from a warm and sunny England.  

Today we had Keralan lamb curry with a bhindi, aloo, gobi pilaf.  But I think we were both out of salts today and was recovering from the shock of what has been a consistent regular annual seam of our lives which was our Eurovision.

It has become so extremely poor, and also so unrepresentative of the majority’s normality.  It has become a freak show of untalented performers with poorly written material derailed by angry ignorant minorities trying to ensure that the minorities control the quiet lives of the long-suffering majorities.  

One of the enriching new’ish and growing  components of Eurovision is how it became a real annual adoption and focus for the gay community.  I think they elevated and made the experience considerably more fun for those people that aren’t gay.  But yesterday, most of the London pubs were cancelling the gay Eurovision events through fear from political violent Gaza protests.  So we had already lost a Eurovision that we could make any sense of and lost the gay events that enjoyed it anyway and made up for it’s awfulness and took us along with them.  I have no idea whether this makes any sense to non-Brits let alone fellow Brits but that is where I think a quiet but large number of Europeans felt. We feel, bewildered, bereaved and marginalised by loud groups that make no sense. 

Anyway ….. here is the plate!

Jeff

IMG_5319.jpeg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I have no idea whether this makes any sense to non-Brits let alone fellow Brits but that is where I think a quiet but large number of Europeans felt

I need to understand Eurovision

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, QueSeraSera said:

I need to understand Eurovision

Believe me QSS, you really don’t want to disappear down that worm hole. It has all of the hype of the Superbowl with a budget to match. It used to be about talent, sadly no longer. It is so political now that the songs and performers are irrelevant. Many issues arose in this year that it showed it for what it is. The hostility towards Israel being the most jarring. I For one would be happy if we withdrew from the contest, and took our substantial donation with us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good Afternoon Coolers!

I think at last a penny has dropped.  We were finding that I was constantly preparing far too much eatings when our appetites have been reducing.  And often it’s sort of habitual “set pieces” so the quantity and effort was disproportionate to the appetite.  

So for a while it’s going to be less of that and more simple easier stuff we fancy for taste with back up plans for munchy yearnings later. And bigger things when we fancy it.  And there is always dozing dough in the fridge. We mustn’t fall into deep ruts. 

So today for lunch was Gala Pie with slaw and pickles and over-cold beer, and I’ve also made a couple of nights’ worth of baby sausage roll baby bites for the fridge which goes really well with some pickle and London Pride.  We can’t find really nice sausage rolls - even at Greggs - so the effort is worth it and it is plate on the lap-eating in front of the TV late at night.

IMG_5329.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5323.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

When you are bored and have a spare few minutes, have a look at the Wiki on the voting system

Well, I had a few minutes this morning and was completely bewildered by the Eurovision voting rules, felt sure it was the previous night's wine fogging up my thought processes, but a 2nd visit to Wiki this evening shed no light whatsoever.  Eurovision's voting system is far worse than our electoral college.

The UK has provided the world with so much great music, and now, this?  Perhaps Eurovision caused the dust up with the European Union?

10 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

lunch was Gala Pie

Had to look this up.  What do they mean by "medieval" recipe?  Is that before Columbus (bC)?

11 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon Coolers!

I think at last a penny has dropped.  We were finding that I was constantly preparing far too much eatings when our appetites have been reducing.  And often it’s sort of habitual “set pieces” so the quantity and effort was disproportionate to the appetite.  

So for a while it’s going to be less of that and more simple easier stuff we fancy for taste with back up plans for munchy yearnings later. And bigger things when we fancy it.  And there is always dozing dough in the fridge. We mustn’t fall into deep ruts. 

So today for lunch was Gala Pie with slaw and pickles and over-cold beer, and I’ve also made a couple of nights’ worth of baby sausage roll baby bites for the fridge which goes really well with some pickle and London Pride.  We can’t find really nice sausage rolls - even at Greggs - so the effort is worth it and it is plate on the lap-eating in front of the TV late at night.

IMG_5329.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5323.jpeg

We are so fortunate here. The local Bakeries are very good but our local butchers are even better. One of them is very famous in the area for her sausage rolls and pies. The sausage rolls are incredible but the pies are next level.  Marilyn’s Pies from Trefriw are better than anything you’d find anywhere. None of this sloping sides witchcraft and trickery and you couldn’t get any more meat in there if you tried.I Haven’t tried one as a Wigan Kebab myself but I Believe that  they lend themselves very well to that particular culinary delight. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Well, I had a few minutes this morning and was completely bewildered by the Eurovision voting rules, felt sure it was the previous night's wine fogging up my thought processes, but a 2nd visit to Wiki this evening shed no light whatsoever.  Eurovision's voting system is far worse than our electoral college.

The UK has provided the world with so much great music, and now, this?  Perhaps Eurovision caused the dust up with the European Union?

Had to look this up.  What do they mean by "medieval" recipe?  Is that before Columbus (bC)?

Medieval when applied to cookery means that it use to be pretty evil but now it’s just “so. so”.  🙂

Think of it as a Melton Mowbray Pork pie which uses a hot water crust pastry, with a pork filling and gelatine between the pie and pastry. It also has an egg in it.  We prefer it to a pork pie because simply the ratio of pie to meat is nicer. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

The local Bakeries are very good but our local butchers are even better. 

Welsh lamb is world class.  We use to order a whole lamb and have it butchered and would bring it home for the freezer. Salt Marsh Lamb is divine.

One thing we now order for delivery which you cannot seen to be able to buy from supermarkets or local butchers is lamb breast which I love to roll with Paxo stuffing in it and cook it slowly. A nice thick rich gravy and mint sauce and some colcannon.  I think butchers now mostly mince it but it’s a shame.  It is delicious peasant food and peasants eat the best of eatings.

Jeff

7 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Welsh lamb is world class.  We use to order a whole lamb and have it butchered and would bring it home for the freezer. Salt Marsh Lamb is divine.

One thing we now order for delivery which you cannot seen to be able to buy from supermarkets or local butchers is lamb breast which I love to roll with Paxo stuffing in it and cook it slowly. A nice thick rich gravy and mint sauce and some colcannon.  I think butchers now mostly mince it but it’s a shame.  It is delicious peasant food and peasants eat the best of eatings.

Jeff

Conwy Valley lamb is superb too Jeff. It’s not a salt marsh but the flood plain floods with seawater regularly and the grass in the Valley here is really rich. 

Good Afternoon Coolers ….. 🙂

Today was another log delivery day.  

So The Boss was in charge of the wheelbarrow and transportation duties and I was in charge of stacking elegantly. This is our fifth load so far this year and anyone would think these logs grown on trees.  Outrageous prices.

As she was knackered I invited her to choose what she had for lunch and she asked for one of her favourite comforting dishes - Grostl and Wurstel + eggs for dippng.  And “PEAS!” for Spins.

Anaesthetics were house white. 

Have a great day all!

Jeff

IMG_5436.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon Coolers ….. 🙂

Today was another log delivery day.  

So The Boss was in charge of the wheelbarrow and transportation duties and I was in charge of stacking elegantly. This is our fifth load so far this year and anyone would think these logs grown on trees.  Outrageous prices.

As she was knackered I invited her to choose what she had for lunch and she asked for one of her favourite comforting dishes - Grostl and Wurstel + eggs for dippng.  And “PEAS!” for Spins.

Anaesthetics were house white. 

Have a great day all!

Jeff

IMG_5436.jpeg

Please more peas!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well, just another day on the farm.  Baked up some loaves using Red Mill bread flour, a long rise, roll out, another long rise.  Crazy simple recipe, just dump stuff in Cuisinart, mix for 45 sec.  No knead.  Gonna slather a piece with the Normandy butter & honey from my wife's bees, and be glad to be walking around planet earth another day.  It could be a lot worse! 

IMG_6416.jpeg

Edited by Will Work for Tiramisu
Photo upload problem
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1