Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Anybody got a photogenic pussycat ?  Not that the dogs are not gorgeous, of course.  I am more of a cat person, supposedly therefore less gregarious and a bit more aloof, which I am.

Just for balance.

The charming tiger I met in Hongkong last year.

The biker cats were taking centre stage in May at the Harley days on Sylt.

Had cats for 26 years. The first one was a black chubby tomcat called "Fätze" (= Fatso) by the previous owner of the converted farmhouse we bought. He talked us into taking over the cat. We thought okay, one cat we can manage, kind of nice in the country. That Fätze had a harem of 4 ladies the guy somehow missed to mention... We ended up with 13 cats for a while. Not counting guest cats couchsurfing in the barn🤣

I do miss them.

IMG_4328.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Oh they’re not blue jeans Jeff, they’re a very nice mustardy gold and very nicely cut. I don’t wear after shave day to day but do when I’m going out. Tiffany, Dylan blue, Fragonard, Ferragamo, Tom Ford and Bulgari are my faves. 

I think you’ve nailed it.  That concoction of whiffs will advertise your pre-arrival way before your entrance and those strides are sleek. 

I think you will certainly attract exactly the type of attention you seek.

🙏

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

For balance reasons, they had dogs in previous years driving Harley sidecar. In full gear too!

I love this event, every year in May. 
My personal highlight last year was an old lady chatting to a huge biker, wondering how he cleaned his bike to get it so shiny. The gentleman was totally sweet with her.

IMG_1156.jpeg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

The charming tiger I met in Hongkong last year.

The biker cats were taking centre stage in May at the Harley days on Sylt.

Had cats for 26 years. The first one was a black chubby tomcat called "Fätze" (= Fatso) by the previous owner of the converted farmhouse we bought. He talked us into taking over the cat. We thought okay, one cat we can manage, kind of nice in the country. That Fätze had a harem of 4 ladies the guy somehow missed to mention... We ended up with 13 cats for a while. Not counting guest cats couchsurfing in the barn🤣

I do miss them.

IMG_4328.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

Hong Kong!

Lovely cats, but you must have eaten? 

Where were the pics?

Jeff

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate ALL of these SUPER CUTE dogs and cats.  Fun and exciting.  

Below is one recent visual of our Lizzie, a twenty-month-old Aussie Labradoodle.  

image.thumb.jpeg.8e609c32ebb17d4565d7552db1fd14b2.jpeg

Keep up the great sharing!!  Many nice cat visuals posted, but we don't want to forget about the dogs.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

My brother's Portuguese waterdog, then and now.

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

0a726cc4-88b8-48a6-a771-d509e3746785.jpeg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Hong Kong!

Lovely cats, but you must have eaten? 

Where were the pics?

Jeff

One day only pre-cruise to Singapore😍

of course I managed to sneak in a late dinner for one in the hotel, the menu was very light and very good. First time I tried and liked jellyfish.

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Terry, I followed you through Singapore and enjoyed it.  I hope you showed your passport and got your pensioner 90% discount at The Orchid Garden. We use to go two or three times a year for three weeks at a time and we miss it.  I’d love you to return to Singapore and eat with the locals. Singapore is probably the best foody destination in the word! But only if you do not eat in restaurants. And the people are sublime so you have to eat with them and share a beer.  But that needs weeks not hours. 🙂  Go  back and linger awhile.  Life is far too short to speed through it. 🙂 Jeff

Appreciate the great tips and follow-up for Singapore from Jeff.  YES, we need more time there.  In part after our India travel time and the Silver Moon cruise, plus the heat/hot weather, we used some of our Singapore time for R&R.  

We had a private guide for a full day during our initial time there.  That lessen the need for some of your tips.  Not sure when we will get back to Singapore.  It's a long, long way from the USA's Midwest and we have other priority locations to explore first.  But, the memories there are great and we were very, very impressed with what has been done to a somewhat "nothing area" with no natural resources.  Singapore is a huge and great "Success Story"!!

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

of course I managed to sneak in a late dinner for one in the hotel, the menu was very light and very good. First time I tried and liked jellyfish.

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

GD,

That is sublime platage.  I think you are eating out of my league.  I hope you have some left-overs for me.

😀

I so appreciated you indulging me with the piccies.  When we see food piccies I always learn a bit and sometimes yearn a bit.

🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

18 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

Reminds me of Black Tartan Kitchen.   🥰

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate the great tips and follow-up for Singapore from Jeff.  YES, we need more time there.  In part after our India travel time and the Silver Moon cruise, plus the heat/hot weather, we used some of our Singapore time for R&R.  

We had a private guide for a full day during our initial time there.  That lessen the need for some of your tips.  Not sure when we will get back to Singapore.  It's a long, long way from the USA's Midwest and we have other priority locations to explore first.  But, the memories there are great and we were very, very impressed with what has been done to a somewhat "nothing area" with no natural resources.  Singapore is a huge and great "Success Story"!!

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Thanks Terry,

I understand the need for short visit accelerants  and the time considerations and therefore the consequential visit imperatives.  

I just happen to believe that when one decides on the concentrated personal tours to simply succeed in ensuring you get the  ticks off the top-level list one too often misses the essence one would really like to find.  However short the visit. 

More often, in my view when I see these plans for luxury fast-limo it seems to me that when I happen to know and love a place well, that a well chosen personalised slower set of suggestions although seemingly less in number is considerable more potentially memorable than a fast skim of the surface.

It’s great you enjoyed your visit.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

27 minutes ago, MissSophia said:

The best lasagne is the Co Op special one 😃

I think it always depends on the ratio of pasta to béchamel sauce and then meat and sauce

I use to spend my time looking closely at the beef percentage which seems to hover between 25% to 30% and sometimes more.  More meat “must” be better - right - was the thinking. They then add a splurge of tomato sauce sometimes with a little TOO MUCH wine.  And to me sometimes it can be simply become too rich and too meaty and “heavy”. So I was confused.  More meaty MUST be better. 

When I was confused about why this less is more preference ie why do i prefer cheaper rather than the so called luxury option it occurred to me that the dish in origin is a peasant rustic dish made by canny grannies and mums to stretch out beef and/or pork and so perhaps they really did know what they were doing and so the meatier the dish the less tasty and  authentic and therefore “not as good” as your/my choice.  Only then did my cheaper choices make sense to me. It is what mamma  would have made! 🙂

I do overthink don’t I! 😉

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

GD,

That is sublime platage.  I think you are eating out of my league.  I hope you have some left-overs for me.

😀

I so appreciated you indulging me with the piccies.  When we see food piccies I always learn a bit and sometimes yearn a bit.

🙂

Jeff

I do like Streetfood too, especially the Asian kind. Looking forward to next January/February, will do two segments of the WC (cancelled the rest), Tokyo to Singapore. 3 days Singapore post cruise. The Saté street in Lau Pa Sat is beckoning, among other places😋

• Like 3

I have just had what I think is a delicious meal, with virtually no work.  Luckily for me I  can't do photos.  It was king prawns in garlic and herb butter, heated in the oven with a small baguette to dip, and a small salad of just sliced red pepper, red onion and baby vine tomatoes, which was a pretty colour and tasted good.  Not actual cooking, I admit.  And half a bottle of Waitrose own vinho verde, which is slightly frizzante.  All cheap and cheerful.  Now, can I be bothered to watch the football?  Probably not.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Love "brasserie" food like this too

IMG_3506.jpeg

That marrow bone looks delicious! When we were in Mexico City last weekend, a plate of those went by our table (for someone else) and I really wanted to follow.

When I was a kid I watched my grandfather eat the bone marrow out of his steak and I thought it was disgusting. Glad I finally figured that out.

31 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

I do like Streetfood too, especially the Asian kind. Looking forward to next January/February, will do two segments of the WC (cancelled the rest), Tokyo to Singapore. 3 days Singapore post cruise. The Saté street in Lau Pa Sat is beckoning, among other places😋

See you there - we're boarding in Hong Kong for the second segment! We've only got two days post-cruise in Singapore though.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

I’m envious.  Satay Street is our first night ritual.  40 sticks plus a jug of Tiger from a Tiger Aunty.  

Jeff

• Like 1

Does anyone remember when we were told to avoid bone  marrow as it was possibly likely to give us  some disease of cattle prevalent at the time?  Maybe mad cow disease?  Considered very dangerous.

• Like 2