Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

OK, totally off topic here.  Has anyone ever bought a home panini maker?

The QSS household is, typically, a decade behind the trend here.  Nevertheless, we recently had the most exquisite turkey reuben while on vacation that had been prepared on such a device.  Turkey, sliced, with cheese, sauerkraut and 1000 island dressing.  Need to know I can have again.

So, should I buy one?  Your experiences will help in the $40 decision.  

Actually, it's not just the money, but the storage space....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

The QSS household is, typically, a decade behind the trend here.  Nevertheless, we recently had the most exquisite turkey reuben while on vacation that had been prepared on such a device.  Turkey, sliced, with cheese, sauerkraut and 1000 island dressing.  Need to know I can have again.

Don’t be daft.  You know the answer to that.  I have every single kitchen gadget ever invented in my garage.

You need more than $40.

Breville/Cuisinart are the brands.

In an absolutely ideal world you’d have a flat plate that’s reversible to a ridged plate.  But then you also need a toasty plate. And a waffle plate.  And then someone will think of something else-plate to sell us gullibles.

Do yourself a favour spend more and get a bigger garage to store the stuff in.  In the long run you’ll save money because you won’t have any more space to buy cars.  

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Possibly.

But with this unit, I'll try to prove you wrong, with an open mind

Amazon.com: Breville Sear & Press Grill BGR700BSS, Brushed Stainless Steel : Everything Else

That is in my book definitely and possible The One.  It is shiny and that’s good enough for me and will leave more room in the garage for an electic car that will never move once purchased.

Seriously.  Buy it and play.  The key things are really let it get hot and play around with the breads and cheese as well as the turkey you catch and slice!

There is around in the uk quite a few panini type breads that are olive oil rich. Also a sublime panini and cheese protein is Milano, Napoli salami or Coppa.  In my view much better. 

Do post and tell and let us drill the perfect panini together.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I will warn you, Que and UKJeff, that I have a Breville toaster that is the best toaster I have ever had, but after only six years it has lost the ability to brown toast [or as Jeff might say, it has lost the will to live – since it will be joining the landfill shortly].  It seemed so well made that I expected it to work forever, as appliances used to do back in the day...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

the thing to pop the vacuum in a jam jar

It's amazing how much stronger you become if you put a rubber band around the lid – even DW can actually open them, and this doesn't distort the lid like prying it up does.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you Jeff – that was the very episode!  I'm amazed that BBC is still sponsoring it on YouTube...  I suppose they still have Jeremy Clarkson being naughty on Top Gear too!

Clarky's latest efforts are his ownership and running of his farm called Diddly Squat as he makes no money from it.  It's on UK Amazon and you may be able to get it overseas if you have Prime.

It's well worthwhile as Jeremy and his young farm manager Kaleb (who holds him in complete contempt at his farming efforts) and his other chap Gerald (who speaks his own indecipherable tongue) make amusing watching.

Jeff

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I will warn you, Que and UKJeff, that I have a Breville toaster that is the best toaster I have ever had, but after only six years it has lost the ability to brown toast [or as Jeff might say, it has lost the will to live – since it will be joining the landfill shortly].  It seemed so well made that I expected it to work forever, as appliances used to do back in the day...

They are also very good at honouring guarantees,  

Jeff

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Yes, and it was wonderful. However, cleaning it and storing it are just like owning a waffle maker. When it broke I did not replace it. I can make a panini style (without the grill marks) on my stove top by pressing a smaller lid to flatten it while it cooks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, and it was wonderful. However, cleaning it and storing it are just like owning a waffle maker. When it broke I did not replace it. I can make a panini style (without the grill marks) on my stove top by pressing a smaller lid to flatten it while it cooks.

Just like the old days when my mom would make a grilled cheese in the skillet.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, TrulyBlonde said:

I bought mine 10 years ago. It's been in the garage storage for 9 years. 😃

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Let me put it this way. I love to cook, but I do not live to cook. Cleaning up most of these gadgets takes too much time & that is part of cooking.

You have to clean them?  

I thought you just bought them, unpacked them,  Used them once,  And then use them as an ornament.

Until you buy a new ornament.  And then it goes in the garage. 

Jeff

• Haha 4