Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just finished this historical fiction, set in Georgian era England.  Met the author and her husband on a transatlantic crossing right as she was getting offers for her first book, and I have been an avid fan since because of her depth of research on the society, language, and ethics during that time (and her ease of communicating it). This is her third book, and can’t wait for her fourth. 

image.thumb.jpg.51da54d1f8ae38c704afc5c313c9a9d7.jpg

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Amazing!  Was it awesome?  Thank you!!!!

The sites described in the various books are located in many separate locations around the Eastern Townships.  We went to most of them, including the museum that contains the original painting of Fair Day from book 1 ['original' in the sense that the CBC had it painted for the TV series]

Here is a list of most of the locations that have been identified:

ThreePinesInspirationsMap(LouisePenny)EasternTownships(Quebec).thumb.jpg.1055d0d37131cc5b2179d5a38ee382ec.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.57f3294edf3f8621e02c3c9e4a04cc83.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.0803de518cddd66b60b7058a3b25fd24.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.42dcf86fd13e6f118958bc9e6b430623.jpg

and pictures of some that we visited:

5003EpicierJ.B.LeBaronNorthHatley.thumb.jpeg.917bdd12d32c760073184d333a25578b.jpeg

Epicier J.B. LeBaron, North Hatley 

5014LAbbayeSt-Benoit-du-Lac.thumb.jpeg.84d7846832f187671fb575c2b79db092.jpeg

L'Abbaye St-Benoit-du-Lac

5019AubergeKnowlton.thumb.jpeg.c090bd64891e566cbeb2c7eef1d8a49e.jpeg

Auberge Knowlton & Le Relais

5025LeRelaisAubergeKnowlton.thumb.jpeg.e16ef0c25d083fe51083d8a0cecb0841.jpeg

Ruth Zardo's pet duck with the filthy mouth...

5027BromeLakeBooksKnowlton.thumb.jpeg.0fe7292b922c65544cd219a6a77a2ca6.jpeg

Brome Lake Books, Knowlton [the librairie where Ruth thought the books were free because it says Library right over the door...]

Lots more photos and descriptions in my blog of this 2017 Canada/New England trip:

jazzbeauxcanadacruise2017.wordpress.com

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Partly because I would love to know more about life in Canada, I do intend to order (and feel sure I will not regret it) the first four of these books from my cheap and cheerful website.  Could one of you  name them in chronological order for me, as it is often confusing to work out the order from the sites. I had this problem with the Ann Cleeves books, and prefer to see how the main characters progress from the start. I know Still Life is the first, but if I order four get a good discount!  And read so quickly one doesn't last me long.

Thanks, Lola

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Partly because I would love to know more about life in Canada, I do intend to order (and feel sure I will not regret it) the first four of these books from my cheap and cheerful website.  Could one of you  name them in chronological order for me, as it is often confusing to work out the order from the sites. I had this problem with the Ann Cleeves books, and prefer to see how the main characters progress from the start. I know Still Life is the first, but if I order four get a good discount!  And read so quickly one doesn't last me long.

Thanks, Lola

https://www.goodreads.com/series/42154-chief-inspector-armand-gamache

The link above lists the books in order Lola.  I hope you enjoy the read! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The sites described in the various books are located in many separate locations around the Eastern Townships.  We went to most of them, including the museum that contains the original painting of Fair Day from book 1 ['original' in the sense that the CBC had it painted for the TV series]

Here is a list of most of the locations that have been identified:

ThreePinesInspirationsMap(LouisePenny)EasternTownships(Quebec).thumb.jpg.1055d0d37131cc5b2179d5a38ee382ec.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.57f3294edf3f8621e02c3c9e4a04cc83.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.0803de518cddd66b60b7058a3b25fd24.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.42dcf86fd13e6f118958bc9e6b430623.jpg

and pictures of some that we visited:

5003EpicierJ.B.LeBaronNorthHatley.thumb.jpeg.917bdd12d32c760073184d333a25578b.jpeg

Epicier J.B. LeBaron, North Hatley 

5014LAbbayeSt-Benoit-du-Lac.thumb.jpeg.84d7846832f187671fb575c2b79db092.jpeg

L'Abbaye St-Benoit-du-Lac

5019AubergeKnowlton.thumb.jpeg.c090bd64891e566cbeb2c7eef1d8a49e.jpeg

Auberge Knowlton & Le Relais

5025LeRelaisAubergeKnowlton.thumb.jpeg.e16ef0c25d083fe51083d8a0cecb0841.jpeg

Ruth Zardo's pet duck with the filthy mouth...

5027BromeLakeBooksKnowlton.thumb.jpeg.0fe7292b922c65544cd219a6a77a2ca6.jpeg

Brome Lake Books, Knowlton [the librairie where Ruth thought the books were free because it says Library right over the door...]

Lots more photos and descriptions in my blog of this 2017 Canada/New England trip:

jazzbeauxcanadacruise2017.wordpress.com

Very cool Jazz! 😁

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, drron29 said:

And we have actually stayed in one of those places mentioned - The Manoir Hovey. It was a good stay as well.

That's awesome!  🥰

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Today’s Elevenses on TheBalcony@Seaside!

All light eatings for the next days and weeks until we shrug and return to base.  It’s school holiday time in the Uk so we are enjoying the sartorial elegant contents of thoses cases that have been stored on top of wardrobes all over the country in  prep for beach holidays.  Every kid has a bucket and a spade and the family groups are ensconced for the day on the beaches below our house.  It’s lovely to see the joy.

Tomorrow’s shop is complete which is full of lovely light stuff … proscuito, salami, anchovies, quiche, salad, a corn fed chicken to be coked and eaten cold …. and loads of stuff to drink!

Jeff

Edited:  I’ve added a couple of posters we have at home that is at the heart if my addiction to British Travel Posters.  

To disclose, there are NOT of my wall but scraped images.  I am the proud owner of the two originals which I adore.  It captures a bygone era of Brtish life.

Tonight there is a firework display.  🙂

IMG_6638.jpeg

IMG_6639.jpeg

IMG_6641.webp

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

I love those old posters, they used to be in the carriages in the old steam trains running from my school town to my home village.  Some real works of art, you are lucky to have them.

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I love those old posters, they used to be in the carriages in the old steam trains running from my school town to my home village.  Some real works of art, you are lucky to have them.

Thanks,

In fact these are full size station platform posters rather than carriage prints.  Some are even double sized than the other large ones and are very very  large.  They take much of some of our walls.  

I was fortunate in that I became convinced several decades ago that this was an unappreciated and under valued sector original art that I might be able to afford to buy and enjoy. I couldn’t afford original 19thc French Impressionism - my first passion - so this had to do!

But they were expensive even then.  

Thankfully I wasn’t bothered about other countries or car racing stuff.  Just nostalgic British vintage travel posters of seaside holidays.  I use to try and buy the originals unmounted and the clue was this.  When they were sent to stations some station masters couldn’t be bothered to go out and paste them over their perfectly good existing posters on their platforms.   So they shoved them into the back of a drawer and forgot about them.  Most of course didn’t survive but sometimes they rarely come up for auction and the clue is that they were folded two or three times ie they are in 4 or 8 panels between folds.  Some clever forgers did catch on but when you’ve seen a few you can tell.   The other challenge is condition.  If they were kept in the drawer and out of the light and then discovered then your luck is in.  The value of perfect ones are extraordinary compared to slightly less.

I have one poster which I bought by accident, it was a railway coach holiday poster. in other words you rented a coach in a field to camp in.  No other of this poster that I have seen exists.  There is no image I have seen of it on the web.  It is now in fact my favourite of my collection.  I returned it to Sothebys thinking they’d sent me it to me by accident but they sent it back saying “thanks for your honesty - but no you bought it with the other one you won”.   I’ll take a piccy when I get home.

Sometimes the auction houses put people seeking a particular one in touch with me and they make daft offers, but it would be like giving up one of your kids.  Perhaps even worst!  🙂

Jeff

• Like 1

We have a little Wine Club group of our friends here at our apartment complex.  One of the things I enjoy doing is hosting a blind wine tasting.  I chat with the Product Consultant (who is a dear friend) at our LCBO  (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) to pick the wines.  Sometimes they are all wines from the same country.  sometimes they are all the same varietal from different countries, sometimes they are all whites from various countries or all reds from various countries.  We taste our way through and then there is a quiz.  Much fun and laughter.

Here are images from a tasting of wines from Italy....

Italywinemap.JPG.a5940b3296a827b5aa4c7e30b30d9627.JPG

Capture.JPG.22570ed9416e143f7a4c0481368de950.JPG

20211022_183702.jpg.5f3ec5740fd54a9d1188be8120050346.jpg

20211022_192115.jpg.5d4f1504aea5b476abf29c2434b3b6f4.jpg

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, mysty said:

We have a little Wine Club group of our friends here at our apartment complex.  One of the things I enjoy doing is hosting a blind wine tasting.  I chat with the Product Consultant (who is a dear friend) at our LCBO  (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) to pick the wines.  Sometimes they are all wines from the same country.  sometimes they are all the same varietal from different countries, sometimes they are all whites from various countries or all reds from various countries.  We taste our way through and then there is a quiz.  Much fun and laughter.

Here are images from a tasting of wines from Italy....

Italywinemap.JPG.a5940b3296a827b5aa4c7e30b30d9627.JPG

Capture.JPG.22570ed9416e143f7a4c0481368de950.JPG

20211022_183702.jpg.5f3ec5740fd54a9d1188be8120050346.jpg

20211022_192115.jpg.5d4f1504aea5b476abf29c2434b3b6f4.jpg

Oh a map of wines ( maybe I've had two many glasses this lunch time 🍷).. I thought it looked like a little dog jumping!!! 😂.. looks fun enjoy..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

The beaches …… from the balcony.

Jeff

IMG_6642.jpeg

Looks lovely Jeff my I be so bold as to ask where you are now?... I'm going to our little haven Sidmouth for the weekend.. 🥂

I am in my “happy place” for a few days.  I flew down yesterday and despite very bad weather was able to land only an hour late.  By the time I got to the house, the sun was already beginning to set.  It was the most magnificent sunset I have ever seen.  Alligator Point, Florida

Could someone please tell me how to turn the photo right side up.

IMG_9420.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

I am in my “happy place” for a few days.  I flew down yesterday and despite very bad weather was able to land only an hour late.  By the time I got to the house, the sun was already beginning to set.  It was the most magnificent sunset I have ever seen.  Alligator Point, Florida

IMG_9420.jpeg

Tell people to stand on their head.

Jeff

16 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

With pleasure! Beautiful shot.

Screenshot_20240801_142914_Photos.thumb.jpg.beb67b45057794d8b0cca27aae7558ac.jpg

Seems that some phones embed up/down orientation into photos. The picture viewer on your phone can display the picture properly but when you post is somewhere else, it reverts to the embedded (dis)orientation.

I've found with my Samsung Galaxy phones, for horizontal photos I have to tip the phone 90 degrees to the left (counter clockwise) amd then the picture shows up correctly. 

If I tip the phone 90 degrees left (clockwise) the picture looks normal but when I upload it, the picture turns upside down. 

How did I fix your photo? I downloaded it, rotated it, then turned my phone 90 degrees left and took a screenshot of your photo. Then I uploaded the screenshot. Just rotating the picture doesn't always work, but taking the screenshot does.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I've found with my Samsung Galaxy phones, for horizontal photos I have to tip the phone 90 degrees to the left (counter clockwise) amd then the picture shows up correctly. 

If I tip the phone 90 degrees left (clockwise) the picture looks normal but when I upload it, the picture turns upside down.

I'm glad there's someone else who has a Left and the Other Left...  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm glad there's someone else who has a Left and the Other Left...  🤣

I've always been a little dyslexic. And looking at radiographs for decades has only made it worse. Oops!

(When you look at a chest X-ray, the left side of the image is actually the right side of the patient).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

I've always been a little dyslexic. And looking at radiographs for decades has only made it worse. Oops!

(When you look at a chest X-ray, the left side of the image is actually the right side of the patient).

My excuse is I'm left-handed so when most people lead with the right, I lead with the left.  But when left is the second choice, I also think 'left.'  So I have two lefts, as DW frequently points out...

• Haha 3