Oxygen

Murphey

Yes you need to let them know and you may want to ask for an extension cord for recharging purposes. DH has a portable concentrator as well and we've cruised many times with it. We also rent a larger one for the cabin so the small one isn't always used.

Karen

Yes, you MUST notify Princess, here is a link to the form you must fill out and forward to them by email or fax. https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess-Mobility-Questionnaire.pdf

If you are flying, you must have a doctor’s signature that you can fly with the POC, and send it to their medical desk. Talk to the airline 1st.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just got put on a portable, rechargeable oxygen concentrator. No canisters. Do I need to alert Princess?? Thank you.

While I'm sure princess wishes you good health, I think you probably only need notify them

if you are planning on embarking a cruise.

Thank you all for your replies and information. I spoke with Princess this morning and they noted it in our reservation (we leave on the 19th). But it's not them who needs to know, it is only when going through security. So all we need is our order from our doctor (electronic signature is fine). Easy, peasy! Thanks all.

While I'm sure princess wishes you good health, I think you probably only need notify them

if you are planning on embarking a cruise.

Not true. Here is the FAQ from princess addressing oxygen.

Oxygen

If you will require oxygen supplementation during your sailing, please contact our Fleet Medical Department at (661)753-2680. You will be asked to send a letter or prescription from your doctor. You will also be required to let us know the type of equipment you will be using and whether you will be bringing your own supplies or if you will be having the equipment delivered to the ship.

Not true. Here is the FAQ from princess addressing oxygen.

Oxygen

If you will require oxygen supplementation during your sailing, please contact our Fleet Medical Department at (661)753-2680. You will be asked to send a letter or prescription from your doctor. You will also be required to let us know the type of equipment you will be using and whether you will be bringing your own supplies or if you will be having the equipment delivered to the ship.

This contradicts the Passage Contract which only states you must notify Fleet Medical in advance if you are bring a mobility device or service dog onboard:

8. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM CARRIER OF SPECIAL NEEDS.

Due to the risks inherent in travel by sea, as described in Section 3 of this Passage Contract, if You have any special medical, physical or other requirements, You, Your travel agent, or any person booking on Your behalf is requested to inform Carrier in writing at the time of booking of any special need or other condition for which You or any other person in Your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the Cruise, or for which the use of a wheelchair or service animal is contemplated or necessary. If any such special need or condition arises after You have booked the Cruise, You are requested to report it in writing to Carrier as soon as You become aware of it. Guests acknowledge and understand that certain international, foreign or local safety requirements, standards, and/or applicable regulations involving design, construction or operation of the vessel, docks, gangways, anchorages or other facilities on or off the vessel may restrict access to facilities or activities for persons with mobility, communication or other impairments or special needs. Guests requiring the use of a wheelchair must provide their own as Carrier's wheelchairs carried on board the vessel are for emergency medical use only. You acknowledge and agree Carrier may disembark or refuse to embark You or anyone under Your care as set forth in Section 4 above. In limited situations where You would be unable to satisfy certain specified safety and other criteria, even when provided with appropriate auxiliary aids and services, we reserve the right to refuse permission to participate in all or part of the Cruise.

I suppose they could cite the very last sentence of that section in refusing to allow someone with a portable oxygen concentrator to "participate...in the cruise". But that still is worded as a case-by-case decision of the Captain, not a rule that must be followed pre-boarding.

I did; 1) let them know what type of equipment we would be bringing; 2) will be bringing the original order from the Dr. as they requested and 3) my information was gathered in a three-way call with the Princess representative and the Fleet Medical Department.

It get's more complicated when there are mobility issues, and/or you are sending equipment to meet you on the ship.

This contradicts the Passage Contract which only states you must notify Fleet Medical in advance if you are bring a mobility device or service dog onboard:

8. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM CARRIER OF SPECIAL NEEDS.

Due to the risks inherent in travel by sea, as described in Section 3 of this Passage Contract, if You have any special medical, physical or other requirements, You, Your travel agent, or any person booking on Your behalf is requested to inform Carrier in writing at the time of booking of any special need or other condition for which You or any other person in Your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the Cruise, or for which the use of a wheelchair or service animal is contemplated or necessary. If any such special need or condition arises after You have booked the Cruise, You are requested to report it in writing to Carrier as soon as You become aware of it. Guests acknowledge and understand that certain international, foreign or local safety requirements, standards, and/or applicable regulations involving design, construction or operation of the vessel, docks, gangways, anchorages or other facilities on or off the vessel may restrict access to facilities or activities for persons with mobility, communication or other impairments or special needs. Guests requiring the use of a wheelchair must provide their own as Carrier's wheelchairs carried on board the vessel are for emergency medical use only. You acknowledge and agree Carrier may disembark or refuse to embark You or anyone under Your care as set forth in Section 4 above. In limited situations where You would be unable to satisfy certain specified safety and other criteria, even when provided with appropriate auxiliary aids and services, we reserve the right to refuse permission to participate in all or part of the Cruise.

I suppose they could cite the very last sentence of that section in refusing to allow someone with a portable oxygen concentrator to "participate...in the cruise". But that still is worded as a case-by-case decision of the Captain, not a rule that must be followed pre-boarding.

A portable oxygen concentrator (POC) is a mobility device. People who use them typically have lung disease which reduces there ability to breath. Without a POC the person can often not exercise or walk any great distance. Princess wants to know because they may have to assist the passenger in the case of an emergency.

They will not refuse you to cruise, they just need to know who you are and what your limitations are.

The original post does not indicate any cruise is involved.

The original post by the op states " Do I need to alert Princess?" That coupled with this being the Princess cruise forum board is a strong indicator that a cruise is involved.

I also have a portable concentrator that I carried on my last cruise which was on Carnival out of Charleston. If you have a problem and need oxygen, when you contact Princess and you should, you probably should also request WC and assistance. The ramps going up to the boarding are usually pretty steep. Just a suggestion. Also, when we went thru security, they sent us over to the special check in desk and I showed them my letter from cruise line acknowledging I was bringing it. For safety sake they called the dog over to sniff but then said they really no longer needed the dog, they could just inspect it themselves. I don’t know if that is how all ports operate. Also, the steward when we boarded immediately brought me an extension cord so I could use bedside. Princess may have a plug by the bed. I’m going on a Princess cruise in January and will also be taking my oxygen concentrator. Good luck and have fun. Ps, the sent me an email form to fill out and email back in.

The original post by the op states " Do I need to alert Princess?" That coupled with this being the Princess cruise forum board is a strong indicator that a cruise is involved.

It's certainly a strong indication that you don't understand hyperbole.