western Mediterranean epic

Okotoks Folk

Pisa is worth stopping for. We did a combo bus tour for about $50 each. It was over an hour to Florence stopping there for about 4 hours and we were able to see some highlights. Then about 30 minutes and an hour stay in Pisa. We were not expecting much but we enjoyed the shopping and the walk over to Pisa. Then back to the ship.

Back in 2016 we used cruisingexcursions.com. We booked the Essential Collection-Livorno – Picturesque Pisa and Famous Florence. It was an 8.5 Hour trip.

From their website it says: “This tour will take you to Pisa to see the Piazza dei Miracoli, with its famous Leaning Tower, before moving onto Florence for a walking tour that will take in the main sights - including the Santa Maria Del Fiore Cathedral, Giotto's Bell Tower and the Piazza della Repubblica. You'll then be able to enjoy some free time in the birthplace of the Renaissance before heading back to the port.”

We actually used this company for all of our Italian excursions because it was much cheaper than the ship tours. They were excellent!

can anyone recommend a good private tour in Pisa the one on the ship is much to expensive or recommend how we could get to the leaning tower on our own

We used italytours.eu last year for the group Florence and Pisa tour. Air conditioned and modern van with a knowledgeable guide who arranged our itinerary, including squeezing in the one person who wanted to climb the Tower of Pisa (without having bought an advance ticket).

To reduce the cost we worked with a few of the cruisers on our roll call, so I would suggest you join the roll call for your cruise and see if you can get a group together.

(If you are on the Epic, Barcelona/Rome embarkations, and have any questions, I might be able to help, albeit one year old experience).

Cheers!

Roehl

We used Marco Polo Tours for a private tour. He was highly recommended by our TA, who uses him when he goes to Italy, or when any of his other clients go. We had a great day with Marco, and he tailored the tour to our wants. I have a review of him up on TripAdvisor - just look up Marco Polo Tours and check the date September 8, 2017. Here is his website also: http://www.marcopoloprivatetours.com

Another vote for Tuscany bus company..I think they do a variety of tours inc Pisa.. last year we did Florence and Pisa which was a bit tiring but v good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

We did Lucca and Pisa with TuscanyBus for 28€ per person. Very economical, easy and stress free. Not worth saving 10€ to do it yourself. Just download Rick Steves podcasts for commentary.

Why are y'all all so scared to do things on your own? I am a 51 year old middle aged woman who travels solo. I just got off the Epic. You can go to Pisa on your own for 15 Euros ROUND TRIP! Here's how:

-Ship shuttle bus to Livorno (5E round trip ticket)

-There is a tobacco shop directly across the street from where the shuttle bus drops you off. Go inside and buy two local bus tickets (1.50E each) and trains tickets each way from Livorno to Pisa (2.80 E each).

-Walk one block away from the back of the bus to the next square and then left one block to the bus stop in front of H&M

-get opn any bus headed to STAZIONE

- get off at the big train station (can't miss it)

- jump on the next train for Firenze

-20 min later, off at the first stop, Pisa

-exit the train station on the noisier side (if you exit to a quiet neighborhood, go back in and exit on the other side)

- hit the tobacco shop and buy a local bus ticket (1,50E )

-look in front of the train station. There will be a mob of people waiting to catch the bus to the stop marked TORRE. Take that bus.

-10 min later the bus will drop you off at the Tower.

Enjoy yourself and then either get another bus ticket back or enjoy a very lovely walk back to the train station (downhill).

Reverse to go back to the ship.

Rick Steves Mediterraned Cruise Port guidebook and audio app walking tours are wonderful and foolproof.

Why are y'all all so scared to do things on your own? I am a 51 year old middle aged woman who travels solo. I just got off the Epic. You can go to Pisa on your own for 15 Euros ROUND TRIP! Here's how:

-Ship shuttle bus to Livorno (5E round trip ticket)

-There is a tobacco shop directly across the street from where the shuttle bus drops you off. Go inside and buy two local bus tickets (1.50E each) and trains tickets each way from Livorno to Pisa (2.80 E each).

-Walk one block away from the back of the bus to the next square and then left one block to the bus stop in front of H&M

-get opn any bus headed to STAZIONE

- get off at the big train station (can't miss it)

- jump on the next train for Firenze

-20 min later, off at the first stop, Pisa

-exit the train station on the noisier side (if you exit to a quiet neighborhood, go back in and exit on the other side)

- hit the tobacco shop and buy a local bus ticket (1,50E )

-look in front of the train station. There will be a mob of people waiting to catch the bus to the stop marked TORRE. Take that bus.

-10 min later the bus will drop you off at the Tower.

Enjoy yourself and then either get another bus ticket back or enjoy a very lovely walk back to the train station (downhill).

Reverse to go back to the ship.

Rick Steves Mediterranee Cruise Port guidebook and audio app walking tours are wonderful and foolproof.

I am beyond impressed!!! Can you give me advice about doing Barcelona on our own? We embark in Rome, making Barcelona a port we visit for one day. We have read the Rick Steves book, and we are pretty sure we can visit Sagrada Familia without paying for a tour. Can you give me advice on that?