Port or Starboard?

manlie

Hello,

We are doing the 11 day Greece/Italy cruise on the NCL Jade next summer. Does anyone have any advice on if you cruise close enough to the islands that it matters which side of the ship you were on? To me it looks like it would be a lot better to be on the port (left) side as everything seems to pass by that way. But if we are far out into the ocean then it probably won’t matter. On the map though it looks like we sail fairly close to shore?

It may look like you are close to the shore (and in fact, you might be) but you'd be surprised how fast you lose sight of land. Most of the time you won't see any.

There are a few times when you will -- for example if you sail through the straights of Messina, in view of Stromboli. Or if you sail up the Bosphorus. Or entering/departing Venice.

In these specific cases, I find it much better viewing to be out on an open deck, rather than on a balcony anyway. You get more of a panoramic view. A high deck on the bow is ideal.

We just returned from a Venice/Greek island cruise. We had a balcony on Port side but honestly it didn't really matter. The only benefit was leaving out of Venice, most scenic was Port side. It would be the opposite on the return but at 6-7am. Most of the islands were ports that were entered through inlets with scenic views on both side. Even the boarding/disembarking changed sides. Some islands that we tendered we disembarked the boat on one side of the ship and embarked on the opposite. So, as to my experience, both sides were equally beautiful.