Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

I can't speak for that specific property, but I have stayed in multiple Extended Stay locations, and the properties have always been clean and basic. As it is an extended stay property, you do get a kitchette in room. Doesn't matter for a 1 night stay, but maid service and towel service is normally only once every few nights. As for location, I can speak to this, as I have stayed at the Renaissance hotel across the street. Not the most pedestrian friendly area, but there is plenty around. I personally would recommend Southport Raw Bar for dinner. It is not fancy (everything on the menu is under $10), but has a great view of the harbor, and the staff is super friendly. The owner/manager, Buddy, really is a super nice guy. We told him that the bellman told us to pay a visit, and brought us free soup to try, and pointed out where to pick up last minute stuff for the cruise (walked us there). There are also multiple chains and nicer places nearby as well. Taxi to port is only about $10. From airport was a few dollars more, maybe $13.

We just stayed at the Sleep Inn, Dania in Feb pre cruise. It was a nice clean room with free shuttles from the airport and to Port Everglades. There is a Publix very close by and also a Walgreen. We walked to the Hollywood Beach area (about 1 mile) and had dinner on the boardwalk along the beach. This is a very nice area and safe.

Hey Wcal....Looks like you are thinking about the same hotel as us! We may be joining you there. We recently walked by the Extended Stay while in Ft Lauderdale and it is really close to catch the water bus and also the trolly. There are stores pretty close and lots of places to eat nearby. I think our little group will likely end up here for our Emerald Cruise. Hope to see you!

We stayed there last October before our cruise. Perfectly adequate, tho there are no "bells and whistles". It IS near several restaurants [the little Italian place right across the street is great for a light meal] and drugstore, grocery store, liquor store. We would stay there again.

Glad to hear your recommendations of the ESA. We are staying there on the 29th of Apr. pre-cruise. How did the transportation from the airport and to the Port work out for you and do you have any advice for us. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale. If you took taxi's did you have any problem. I know they are only short distances to travel. Taxi's here Canada are not real happy about short trips.

Terry and Beth....I am sure we are going to book it today. I am familar with the location and I know it is good. So far the replies have been positive and thaks to those that have replied. I think other couples from my little group will book it also. Actually I am not even sure if we will be going there a day early but do not want to take any chances. If my sister-in--law and her husband get relocated to Texas will will be flying in Saturday. If they stay in Orlando than we will just drive down to Flort Lauderdale Sunday morning. We always go and visit them a few weeks before cruise and they will be cruising with us also. Personally I hope they stay in Orlando but it looks like it will be Dallas or Houston. I will go anywhere down south to get out of some of the Wisconsin winter.

Hey Debbie! How the heck are you?? We're looking at staying here next year too. The rates sure beat everything else I've seen, and we weren't too thrilled with our stay at the Grande this year, so I too am anxious what everyone else thinks about the ESA.

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale next Saturday (April 14th) for one night before our cruise. We will be staying at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper (priceline selection). We'd like to go out on Saturday night for a "taste" of Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions for restaurants and bars (beach bars or otherwise)??? Thanks for any suggestions.

We will be traveling down 2 days before the cruise onboard Liberty (7/21). Can anyone recommend a hotel that offers airport pick-up and transfer to the port? Additionally, we would preferred a hotel near the beach (or has a great pool) and nearby restaurants and other attractions within walking distance.

We prefer not to spend money on rental car.

Westin Diplomat. 20 minutes from terminal and they will drop you off, and pick you up if you are staying with them after.

Some great places to eat and shopping close by. They also have a golf course that they run a shuttle to.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Air/Seaport in Ft. Lauderdale. It was 2 miles from the airport, and 2 miles from the cruise terminal. It had transportation from airport to hotel, from hotel to terminal. From terminal back to airport we hopped a cab - no problem. Across from the hotel is a shopping center with some restaurants (not fancy) liquor store, fast food, etc. Within a few blocks were some other restaurants. Hotel was clean, quiet, with small heated pool. I think continental breakfast was included. We had 4 of us in a 2 bedroom suite - for about $170 during Christmas '05. Summer prices should be lower. Good luck!:o

I have read about problems with train and airplane noise on reviews of the hotels in this area. Which hotels in the airport area would be best for one night pre-cruise stay? It doesn't have to be 4*, but I want to make sure it's clean with a good pool and away from the noise of the airplanes. I am wanting to try priceline or orbitz or hotwire to get a good rate, but not sure which hotels are far enough away, but not too far. Also, has anyone gotten better deals with priceline, orbitz or hotwire?

I just arrived home after spending four nights at the Extended Stay while in FLL for a cruise conference.

I was nervous about the no frills, but it was fine. You will have to make your own bed and change your towels at the front desk, but the hotel was clean, quiet and the staff was GREAT.

They have a car service they can call for you to take you to the airport or from the airport and to the pier - cost was $12 to the airport, I'm sure the pier is less.

Stayed at ESA last April..by default..HIexpress was over booked......it is a nice, clean place...close to resturants and the Crown liquor store .Within easy walking distance of the water taxis. However there is no cont. breakfast..but like is said it is close to resturants and a drug store. Liked so much ..we are looking into staying there in April 2008 when we sail on the Coral.

Howdy Londoncruiser!

Welcome to the Gulf Coast Departures Forum! 04.gif This is where we discuss Galveston, Gulfport, Mobile, New Orleans, & Tampa.

Per the Community Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the East Coast Departures Forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415 where it will be on topic. The new location is the best location for more of your fellow Cruise Critic members to see it and help you with the information you seek. The ports are Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, Philadelphia & Port Canaveral.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived