Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

HI,

HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THE HILTON AIRPORT HOTEL IN FT. LAUDERDALE?? I`M SICK OF PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR ONE NIGHT IN A CRAPPY HOTEL JUST BECAUSE IT`S FEB. THIS HOTEL LOOKS GOOD ONLINE AND HAS A RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE. WE STAYED AT THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST YEAR AND HAD TO CROSS A DANGEROUS HIGHWAY JUST TO EAT. :confused:

HI,

HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THE HILTON AIRPORT HOTEL IN FT. LAUDERDALE?? I`M SICK OF PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR ONE NIGHT IN A CRAPPY HOTEL JUST BECAUSE IT`S FEB. THIS HOTEL LOOKS GOOD ONLINE AND HAS A RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE. WE STAYED AT THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST YEAR AND HAD TO CROSS A DANGEROUS HIGHWAY JUST TO EAT. :confused:

I'm not familiar with this hotel but if you go to Trip Advisor you might find some information there. Seems like I remember reading about hotels that people stayed at pre-cruise. Have a great cruise and enjoy Ft. Lauderdale. It is a lot of fun. I'd love to go back there when I had more time.

I will be leaving out of Port Everglades in December. My wife and I are getting in the night before or really the morning of the cruise. We arrive at 12:30 at night. I want to get something that will be close to the airport so that we can quickly get a good nights sleep before our departure the next day.

I have heard that there are some bad neighborhoods around the airport, and wanted to make sure I didn't end up in a bad part of town. I am looking at either the Holiday Inn - Airport on Sheridan Street or possibly the Hilton Airport. The Airport Holiday Inn has seemed to get better reviews, any thoughts?

Also, how far would these hotels put us from the Port? We are not to worried about entertainment or shopping or anything else around the hotel since we will be getting in very late, and we will be leaving the next morning.

I appreciate any help.

We're cruising out of Miami in Dec. We've never been there before and we plan on booking 2 days ahead to see the area a little. Need suggestions for a hotel that is either on the beach or a block or two away (we can walk). We don't plan on getting a car so we would like something that would be well located to casual dining. Any suggestions for things to see while there? Would like to keep the hotel rates under $125 per night. Thanks in advance for your insight!:p

I appreciate the advise. I will look at the Holiday Inn on 17th. I just figured that since I am getting in so late at night, all that really matters is a nice clean hotel and a good bed. The hotels by the airport are about $70-100 less per night to what appears to be similar quality hotels by the cruise port.

What are the main reasons for not booking by the airport? Is it a bad area? Bad hotels? We will not be doing much in the area except sleeping in a bit, eating breakfast and heading to the ship.

Thanks again for any help.

For your needs I would just choose one of the better chain hotels, ie Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inn, LaQuinta, Holiday Inn Express etc. based on the best price with shuttle service included from the airport and to the cruiseport versus location. ;)

HI,

All caps means that your yelling. We're not deaf. Some would consider it rude. Now that being said, we stayed at the Days Inn Bahia Cabana on A1A. Not the fanciest hotel, actually looks kinda run down but it was clean. Across the street from the beach, with a marina in the 'backyard'. 10 minutes from the port.

All caps means that your yelling. We're not deaf. Some would consider it rude. Now that being said,........ quote]

All caps does not mean that you are yelling, it merely means you are typing with capital letters. Why do you point out that you are not deaf ? You can not possibly HEAR anything.

The use off all capital letters in recent history. has been percieved to be rude, but who knows knows by who , or why. ? Would you tell a small child you prints using all capitals . as many children do, that they are rude and shouting. ?

I think the blast you gave the OP , and the manner you presented it, and your vague " some " will consider it rude, when you meant you did, is in MY opinion much ruder. :confused:

I've created a map of the Ft Lauderdale area hotels and attractions. Hopefully it will give you an idea of the layout of the area. In the left column is the list of hotels, just click on the name and it will point it out on the map. Zooming in will make map display less cluttered. I'll post three links for the three differant views. It's a work in progress, I'll be updating it continually with restaurants and local attractions. Let me know what you think, suggestions for improvement welcome. Bequia

Street map view:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.099955,-80.132067&spn=0.007091,0.009978&z=17

Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&t=k&z=13

Street map and Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&t=h&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&z=13

Bequia you are soooooo awesome. This is such an amazing tool for us to use and makes all the threads and comments about hotels much easier for us to visualize. Thank you for all your effort with this and I am sure there will be many grateful cruisers.

Jane

I've created a map of the Ft Lauderdale area hotels and attractions. Hopefully it will give you an idea of the layout of the area. In the left column is the list of hotels, just click on the name and it will point it out on the map. Zooming in will make map display less cluttered. I'll post three links for the three differant views. It's a work in progress, I'll be updating it continually with restaurants and local attractions. Let me know what you think, suggestions for improvement welcome. Bequia

Street map view:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.099955,-80.132067&spn=0.007091,0.009978&z=17

Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&t=k&z=13

Street map and Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&t=h&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&z=13

This is great info.... thanks for putting that together for folks. How's the rain over there? We are heading out tomorrow around noon (staying at the Pier 66).....think it may rain all day tomorrow....we need the rain really bad, but I didn't order any for this weekend...:D

Is it possible to number the hotels, instead of putting just a bed for each one. No way to tell which hotel is which unless Im missing something. Maybe a bed with a number next to it?

I see 3 hotels named with beds next to them and 3 beds on the map, without being able to tell which is which.

Thanks btw. I do bow to you as the expert on Ft. Lauderdale. I was not aware there was a shuttle from floridalimo every 15 minutes from the FLL airport to the port of Miami which I saw you posted yesterday. You seem to have all the info.

I didnt cruise much when I did live there. You are the bomb, the best about this area.

You should be able to get a good rate at most hotels those dates. Pre Xmas is always lower.

Because you have plenty of time to "study", send for Miami area tourist info. You'll see there are tons of things to do. Just a matter of personal preferences.

Bequia's

This is wonderful. We are due to take 14 day btb cruise in September and have a day in Port Everglade in between. Would you be able to tell me how long it would take to travel by taxi from the port to Saw Grass Mall which looks huge? Any idea about taxi fares?

Or, any recommendations for a day's shopping?

Would appreciate your response.

Bequia's

This is wonderful. We are due to take 14 day btb cruise in September and have a day in Port Everglade in between. Would you be able to tell me how long it would take to travel by taxi from the port to Saw Grass Mall which looks huge?

It is huge, some really good bargains. It's only 20-30 minutes away.

Any idea about taxi fares?

Unfortunately from the port cab fares are going to be steep ($50+). It's an easy drive, if you can rent a car you'd save a bundle.

Is it possible to number the hotels, instead of putting just a bed for each one. No way to tell which hotel is which unless Im missing something. Maybe a bed with a number next to it?

Unfortunately the map program doesn't offer that feature. If you click on the hotel name in the left hand column it pinpoints the hotel on the map.

I see 3 hotels named with beds next to them and 3 beds on the map, without being able to tell which is which.

If you zoom in, the hotels become further spaced apart. You have to zoom in though. Also, if you put your curser on the map, leftclick and hold the button down, move the mouse around and the map moves with the mouse.

Archived