Holland America Question for Pam in California

rayandshirl

Pam, I know from your comments on Cruise Critic that you have sailed on Holland America with pleasing results.

There is a 14-day Great Alaskan Explorer cruise out of Seattle that visits ports like Kodiak that Princess doesn't and there is more time in ports like Victoria as well.

Have you ever stayed in a balcony cabin that opens out onto the promenade?

The individual you are addressing has their personal contact information in their signature. If you want said person's answers exclusively perhaps that is the way to obtain it.

...but were I that individual I would be gently correcting your characterization of the (non-Princess) cabins in question. Lanai Cabins simply have doors that open directly to the promenade deck; they do not have balconies.

What fishy said above. I have had an oceanview cabin on Promenade deck but never a lanai that opens onto Promenade deck.

Regardless of cabin type, HAL has some great itineraries in Alaska. I wouldn’t hesitate to book one.

Pam and all others, my husband and I have only sailed Princess (more than any other line) and Celebrity but when I found out that smoking was no longer allowed in cabins or balconies on Holland America, I started looking at their itineries.

I apologize for not doing more homework. The brochure page just got me too excited.

Thank you for your information.

Pam and all others, my husband and I have only sailed Princess (more than any other line) and Celebrity but when I found out that smoking was no longer allowed in cabins or balconies on Holland America, I started looking at their itineries.

We have sailed mostly on Princess (31), but have also sailed on Celebrity (11) and HAL (8). HAL ships are smaller (1,500-2,000) than Princess ships including the Grand (the smallest Princess ship, I believe, at 3,000; not counting the Pacific which is "tiny" at 700-800 pax). HAL is a different experience than Princess, more intimate, etc. Our last cruise was an EB TA on HAL's Zuiderdam and we enjoyed it very much. Being smaller there is more personal attention; for example, in the buffet one of the attendants (they'll bring you beverages, etc.) "adopted" us and would find us a table, knew what we wanted to drink, etc. Also, the cabins are larger than on Princess; they're similarly narrow, but deeper with room for a couch/sofabed so there's a comfortable place to sit aside from the bed.