How's the seaweed issue in St. Lucia?

mickeyhereicome

I am helping my sister in law plan a honeymoon for this October and she is very interested in St. Lucia. I went in 2014 and loved it. However, I was on a cruise and only spent one day there. Nonetheless, it was gorgeous. She is looking to spend 2 weeks. I have been reading a lot about the Sargassum seaweed that is taking over the Caribbean. Does anyone have first hand knowledge about the issue in St. Lucia? I read that the eastern coast is getting hit harder then the western coast. It would not be a good trip if you can not go in the ocean! I had a friend come back from PR last week and said the seaweed was so bad you couldn't make it to open ocean to swim without it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What did you do last time you were in St Lucia? We visited once as well and it was one of our least favorite stops on the cruise.... trying to see what others did as maybe we missed the better part of the island. We did an island tour with swimming at Sugar Beach... the water was not very clear and one in our party was stung by a jelly fish. Are there any better beaches?

What did you do last time you were in St Lucia? We visited once as well and it was one of our least favorite stops on the cruise.... trying to see what others did as maybe we missed the better part of the island. We did an island tour with swimming at Sugar Beach... the water was not very clear and one in our party was stung by a jelly fish. Are there any better beaches?

Sorry your experience wasn't like ours. We did something very similar. We did a tour with Spencer Ambrose Tours. It was a speed boat to drop 2 passengers off at the Pitons to hike it. Then we dropped so more off at just a beach break at, Sugar Beach, for the whole day. Then my family went with Spencer in a van for a short island tour and to the Volcano. After this we were brought back to the same beach as the rest were we snorkeled. We were served an island lunch and drinks. We found the snorkeling on this little beach amazing. We were brought back to the dock by the speed boat.

Yes, the sargassum has inundated the east coast earlier this summer. Not an issue for the vast majority of visitors ad there's very, very few resorts on that side, and very few beaches used by visitors.. Coconut Bay was hard hit, they shuttled their guests to Laborie for a couple weeks for those who wanted a beach day .

The south and west coast were mainly untouched, no problems. One day, Rodney Bay/Reduit Beach got hit hard - it was cleaned up and gone by the next day, you wouldn't even know it had been hit.

By October, most of the sargassum is gone.. It's not much of an issue anywhere in the Caribbean in fall and winter. It's more of an issue when the sea temps pick up, etc.

Your sister should have s great time in October... Enjoy.