Too good to be true? Huge price difference

bebe08

I am looking at the price for 11 night Sep 30 2019 cruise on the Edge. Celebrity website shows veranda starting from $4699 US and includes 1 free perk.

Exact same cruise on another website is showing at $3579 US with 4 perks included Premium Beverage Package, Pre Paid Gratuities, Unlimited Wifi & $300 Onboard Credit

This much better deal is with a company I have never dealt with. It seems they charge a $99 non-refundable booking fee and you need to pay for the full cost of cruise when you book as per website:

I understand that the full cost of my trip will be charged and includes a non-refundable agency deposit of $99.00 per person.

I typically use the same TA (book onboard and transfer to TA) and do check around other sites (mainly big box agencies) for price comparison and have never seen such a big price difference. This is also for the Edge which surprises me even more. I wonder if there is something I am missing?

I am looking at the price for 11 night Sep 30 2019 cruise on the Edge. Celebrity website shows veranda starting from $4699 US and includes 1 free perk.

Exact same cruise on another website is showing at $3579 US with 4 perks included Premium Beverage Package, Pre Paid Gratuities, Unlimited Wifi & $300 Onboard Credit

This much better deal is with a company I have never dealt with. It seems they charge a $99 non-refundable booking fee and you need to pay for the full cost of cruise when you book as per website:

I understand that the full cost of my trip will be charged and includes a non-refundable agency deposit of $99.00 per person.

I typically use the same TA (book onboard and transfer to TA) and do check around other sites (mainly big box agencies) for price comparison and have never seen such a big price difference. This is also for the Edge which surprises me even more. I wonder if there is something I am missing?

Wish I could find it. I looked on TA that starts with Price and can't even find the cruise. Looked at big box TA and there prices are much higher than this. Please do give some hints.

I didn't think we were allowed to post the names of agencies. However, there is a link to it in the email I received today from Cruise Critic on top 25 cruise deals. In the Europe section of the email, there is a deal for Celebrity Reflection. If you click on the link it takes you to other deals for Europe - including the Edge deal I mentioned.

My big concern is that this is a scam...you have to pay full cost of cruise now. Surprising as Celebrity doesn't ask for payment in full at time of booking. However since the link to this was thru a Cruise Critic email does that mean it is a reliable online agency?

My big concern is that this is a scam...you have to pay full cost of cruise now. Surprising as Celebrity doesn't ask for payment in full at time of booking. However since the link to this was thru a Cruise Critic email does that mean it is a reliable online agency?

I found it. Thanks. I agree that I wouldn't think it would be a scam since it was thru the Cruise Critic email but I'm just not positive. It would be nice to hear from someone that know of the TA.

Like the other person who posted, there is no 11 day cruise on the Edge departing on 09/30/19. There is an 11 day cruise on the Edge on 09/23 and the pricing on a large cruise travel agency based in NH during their Labor Day Sale is $3499 for an S-2 suite with all 4 perks, including the premium drink package.

This travel agency collects a deposit (not sure how much), but the final payment is not due until June 2019. They charge a $50.00 PP penalty for cancelling a cruise, but will waive it if you book a different cruise at the time you cancel the original cruise.

Personally, I would be reluctant to "pay in full" so far out because, as we all know, stuff happens.

Before booking, you may want to call a few well-know and frequently used online companies to get their pricing and perks - including onboard credit - and then do a comparison.

Best of luck!!

I think either price is WAY TOO HIGH for and 11 night cruise. Plus add in your air fare. It’s crazy.

I have an unrelated question. I have a 14 night cruise booked Dec 7th 2018 on Reflection. We are in Aqua class and paid just under 5K with 2 perks (beverage pkg and pre-paid gratuities) and 500 obc. Is this a good deal? I am on the fence where sometimes I think it is too much and then other times I think it's a good deal. Appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

I have an unrelated question. I have a 14 night cruise booked Dec 7th 2018 on Reflection. We are in Aqua class and paid just under 5K with 2 perks (beverage pkg and pre-paid gratuities) and 500 obc. Is this a good deal? I am on the fence where sometimes I think it is too much and then other times I think it's a good deal. Appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Looks like a good deal to me. Just received a notice from a TA that the 14 day leaving on 4 Jan, same itinerary, Cat 2D Balcony cabin is going for $3199 pp (no perks).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like the other person who posted, there is no 11 day cruise on the Edge departing on 09/30/19. There is an 11 day cruise on the Edge on 09/23 and the pricing on a large cruise travel agency based in NH during their Labor Day Sale is $3499 for an S-2 suite with all 4 perks, including the premium drink package.

This travel agency collects a deposit (not sure how much), but the final payment is not due until June 2019. They charge a $50.00 PP penalty for cancelling a cruise, but will waive it if you book a different cruise at the time you cancel the original cruise.

Personally, I would be reluctant to "pay in full" so far out because, as we all know, stuff happens.

Before booking, you may want to call a few well-know and frequently used online companies to get their pricing and perks - including onboard credit - and then do a comparison.

Best of luck!!

This is this is the travel agency we have used to book 34 cruises since 1999. They have received multiple awards from RCI and Celebrity. If this is the one the OP is referring to, I would book without hesitation.

Just made final payment today on the same cruise. In Concierge for about the same amount with a little less OBC. Think you have a good deal.

Best of luck!!

There is an 11 day cruise on Edge Sep 30 2019 according to the X website...

There is no Sep 23 2019 Edge cruise on X website...Sep 20 is the date.

Where are you getting your dates from?

This is this is the travel agency we have used to book 34 cruises since 1999. They have received multiple awards from RCI and Celebrity. If this is the one the OP is referring to, I would book without hesitation.

We're not far behind and have never had an issue.

;)

I think either price is WAY TOO HIGH for and 11 night cruise. Plus add in your air fare. It’s crazy.

Ha ha, I was thinking no way, you are crazy. But then realized that was the price for 1 person. We pay that for 2 people, not one. I'd never pay that for anything less than a suite and probably wouldn't even pay it then. I can get a lot of vacation elsewhere for $7,000

At this point booking any cabin on the Edge is buying a pig in a poke as far as I'm concerned. None of us really knows how good it will be and yet we're putting up big bucks for the privilege of finding out. We have a seven day cruise in April and that will be the basis for determining whether or not we keep the November 2019 TA. We got a good price on that considering the high prices being charged but it's still much more than we have paid in the past so the Edge is really going to have to be special. The more I read some of the posts of knowledgeable people, the more concerned I am that the Edge might not suit us

$300-400/night/pp for a "standard" balcony? Dayum, celebrity is making money on the Edge, as the cabins are getting sold at those prices also.

Yeppers, you are correct and there are many of us willing to pay it, for now...

bon voyage

At this point booking any cabin on the Edge is buying a pig in a poke as far as I'm concerned. None of us really knows how good it will be and yet we're putting up big bucks for the privilege of finding out. We have a seven day cruise in April and that will be the basis for determining whether or not we keep the November 2019 TA. We got a good price on that considering the high prices being charged but it's still much more than we have paid in the past so the Edge is really going to have to be special. The more I read some of the posts of knowledgeable people, the more concerned I am that the Edge might not suit us

What are some of the issues that concern you and where are you reading them?

bon voyage

We are on the same cruise; we are in the concierge class cabin with only 1 perk provided by Celebrity (chose drink package) but also received 425 OBC and pre paid grats from our TA, ours is 4625 total. Based on pricing I have seen since almost a week after I booked it back in March/April this was a great deal as it's increased by almost 1k per person since with the perk option, although it's about the same price per person if you do the resident rate and no perks.

Supply and demand ultimately determines all pricing.

I do not think this is the case. I see it more about an experiment: how much I can charge. Supply and demand will determines most of prices on long term, but Celebrity has many months, before to eventually correct the prices. I really hope this is just an experiment to see how much they can extort from us, and not the new definitive prices.

And we are in the edge of supply/demand price model. There is the VIP price model (on very luxury items), where higher prices give more sells (people see that as an "exclusive item"). People are not rational. Basic economics is about simple models, so rational decisions.

I do not think this is the case. I see it more about an experiment: how much I can charge. Supply and demand will determines most of prices on long term, but Celebrity has many months, before to eventually correct the prices. I really hope this is just an experiment to see how much they can extort from us, and not the new definitive prices.

And we are in the edge of supply/demand price model. There is the VIP price model (on very luxury items), where higher prices give more sells (people see that as an "exclusive item"). People are not rational. Basic economics is about simple models, so rational decisions.

Sorry but supple and demand will always determine pricing if Celebrity, or any cruiseline can get X dollars for a cabin they will. If after a predetermined period too many cabins remain unsold prices will drop or perks will rise.

The management of any operation has an obligation to their stockholders to return the hugest return they can using legal methods. That’s just business 191.

As I say, they can experiment, especially when start of the cruise is long away. They know they can fill all cabins at normal prices.

They have obligations to their stakeholders, so they need an higher profit, not an optimal demand-supply. So they must optimize the revenue: "price multiplied by the supply". See business model of "business class" (where it is way better to sell at higher prices, and have many empty seat, instead of less price and all seat full). This is basic Economics 101, from this and few assumptions one derives the supply-demand price model. And the devil is in the details of such assumptions. If it would be simple as Business 191, one would not have such long list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pricing_strategies

You have for sure seen complain on this forum about new passengers. To keep higher profitability per passenger (considering not only the fares), because of stakeholders, one strategy could be to increase the prices and keeping old client segment. Who knows? Business is experimenting, experimenting, and innovating.