Room Service not free on RCI?

When did this begin? We haven't been on RC in about a year-and-a-half and this is news to me. Irritating news, I might add.... Another example of the nickel and diming that I've witnessed over the last 17 years since our first RC cruise.

Over a year.

And many think it is not nickle and diming, but reducing the order one plate of cookies for a snack order.

From what I have seen, room service orders are fairly fast, which reports stated was NOT the case when they were free.

When did this begin? We haven't been on RC in about a year-and-a-half and this is news to me. Irritating news, I might add.... Another example of the nickel and diming that I've witnessed over the last 17 years since our first RC cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know. That term nickel & diming is ridiculous!

Who is forcing you to purchase anything extra on your cruise. Its completely voluntary.

Things change, not always for the better. You have only two options, take it or leave it... think back to your cruise of 17 years ago. What did you pay? Chances are not much less then your paying now.

Cruise lines, unlike land based operators are way behind the curve as it relates to cost to cruise vs. the inflation rate.

Sure, lots of things that were included way back, are no longer available or free. I can debate that for hours.

But I’m a realistic person. I remember on the Voyager when Johnny Rockets was free. But, they test the water’s and people were willing to pay. And so on, and so on.

And, it was usually NCL who starts a new revenue stream and everyone else seems to follow.

If people did not purchase the up charges, they wont offer them. We all wanted new bigger ships, more options. We get them, hell yeah. Now the chicken has come home to roost.

Also keep in mind the cruise line is a publicity traded company. It answers to the share holders. Guess what, they want dividends. That come from revenue. Which in turn is generated by onboard spending.

If you would like to debate this further, just let me know.

Hi. I just read through the pages and I didn’t see this question ~ I apologize if I missed it ~but can breakfast room service be ordered on port days? It seems $10 for the four of us to eat and not have to deal with the lines would be a bargain. But I can see why if it is not allowed... Many orders in a short amount of time.

Thanks!

Hi. I just read through the pages and I didn’t see this question ~ I apologize if I missed it ~but can breakfast room service be ordered on port days? It seems $10 for the four of us to eat and not have to deal with the lines would be a bargain. But I can see why if it is not allowed... Many orders in a short amount of time.

Thanks!

Yes room service is available port days.

Disembarkation day is the only day room service breakfast is not available.

You know. That term nickel & diming is ridiculous!

Who is forcing you to purchase anything extra on your cruise. Its completely voluntary.

Things change, not always for the better. You have only two options, take it or leave it... think back to your cruise of 17 years ago. What did you pay? Chances are not much less then your paying now.

Cruise lines, unlike land based operators are way behind the curve as it relates to cost to cruise vs. the inflation rate.

Sure, lots of things that were included way back, are no longer available or free. I can debate that for hours.

But I’m a realistic person. I remember on the Voyager when Johnny Rockets was free. But, they test the water’s and people were willing to pay. And so on, and so on.

And, it was usually NCL who starts a new revenue stream and everyone else seems to follow.

If people did not purchase the up charges, they wont offer them. We all wanted new bigger ships, more options. We get them, hell yeah. Now the chicken has come home to roost.

Also keep in mind the cruise line is a publicity traded company. It answers to the share holders. Guess what, they want dividends. That come from revenue. Which in turn is generated by onboard spending.

If you would like to debate this further, just let me know.

Well said, NCL did start lot of the changes at Royal including Alternate Dining at cost and MTD. I like the choices to spend or not, lowers cruise prices. Cheaper now then 30 years ago and that's $1 for $1 not even taking inflation into it... Back in 1988 7nite sailing on the Sovereign was $3800 for tiny Port Hole. And the ship didn't even have a single Balcony on her... Today you can get same type OV cabin on almost any Royal ship, 7-12nite for well under $2000... I sailed on Voyager almost 20yrs ago was like 6th sailing and Johnny Rockets like Chops had a cover charge. Johnny's was $5 and it ended in a few months. Was also discussed on Cruise Critic back then. Been on CC myself since Xmas 1997(AOL's Cruise Critic)...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Well said, NCL did start lot of the changes at Royal including Alternate Dining at cost and MTD. I like the choices to spend or not, lowers cruise prices. Cheaper now then 30 years ago and that's $1 for $1 not even taking inflation into it... Back in 1988 7nite sailing on the Sovereign was $3800 for tiny Port Hole. And the ship didn't even have a single Balcony on her... Today you can get same type OV cabin on almost any Royal ship, 7-12nite for well under $2000... I sailed on Voyager almost 20yrs ago was like 6th sailing and Johnny Rockets like Chops had a cover charge. Johnny's was $5 and it ended in a few months. Was also discussed on Cruise Critic back then. Been on CC myself since Xmas 1997(AOL's Cruise Critic)...

And if people want everything included, they can cruise the luxury lines. But they do not want to pay the price. They want everything for nothing.

I prefer to NOT pay for things I don't use.

OFF the wall question...and I hope it never happens...if I contract noro and am confined to my room, do I still have to pay for room service?

My grandson contracted Nora on the Allure. Not only was there unlimited room service...they also gave them unlimited PPV while he was quarantined.