Heads Up - Costa Maya

Krazy Kruizers

As many of you know Cozumel isn't able to handle but a couple of cruise ships since the hurricane went through there. It seems that most of the cruise lines are sending their ships to Costa Maya. Check your schedules and see how many ships will be there with you. I know when we were there in May with only 3 ships, it was mobbed. There are some dates in February when there will be 5 ships there.

Costa Maya is one of my very favorite ports.

Even though there might be alot of ships there, not everyone ventures out to Majuahual..... the little fishing village.

Fabulous beach, good shopping, cheap beer, good food! I highly recommend the old TAPAS Restaurant, now known as "El Mexicano".

Pretty decent pics on one or both of my links.

Get out of the madhouse of the Port and head to Majuahaul!;)

I am reallly FREAKING OUT about our stop at costa maya next week. 6 ships. :mad: I am a little worried. we have a private tour set too for the ruins. :(

i dont know what to do to make it easier. The only other port we ever tendered at was HMC. i am not sure what will be going on.

How do you recommend that we get there, Nanette?

Connie

Nothing to it, kiddo-

Outside of the Port Area, you'll find a little transportation stand. (Ask anybody to direct you there)

You pay $3.00 per person to hop on a van for the quick trip to Majuahaul. Return will be $2.00 per person in one of the many cabs waiting.

$2.00 beers and $20 massages outside of El Mexicano.... ask for "EDGAR". He's a doll!;)

Also might want to see if they still rent golf carts. Two years ao we rented on there and took a quick drive to the village and other places as well. Take a picnic and you will be certain to find a private spot on the beach.....

Costa Maya has a pretty long concrete pier with room for up to four ships depending on the size of the ship. If there's six, I'd imagine that the other two will have to tender. Was just there on the Zaandam about a week ago. Problem sometimes is the wind and strong current. The Zaandam, thanks to her captain, was the only ship that day that was able to succesfully dock. Two others (RCI and Princess) tried but couldn't do it and left, skipping Costa Maya. This is the same port where RCI's Grandeur tore a pretty substancial gash in her hull in April of last year attempting to dock

1136836555_CostaMayapier.jpg.56644e3e70baa2e8ad64493ad773a7b1.jpg

As many of you know Cozumel isn't able to handle but a couple of cruise ships since the hurricane went through there. It seems that most of the cruise lines are sending their ships to Costa Maya. Check your schedules and see how many ships will be there with you. I know when we were there in May with only 3 ships, it was mobbed. There are some dates in February when there will be 5 ships there.

Noticed today the Grand Princess was in Playa del Carmen instead of Cozumel. Wonder if more lines will try that option. When we were in Cozumel, we took the ferry to Playa for our Maya ruins tour. Lots of resorts and shoping on that side too. :D

Archived