Day Trip from Rome - where should I go?

Virtopia

I'm embarking on my first TA in a cople months and I'll have a spare day in Rome pre cruise. I'm looking for a nearby city to do a day trip.

So far, I've looked at Naples, Anzio and Tivoli. I don't know which one to decide on. The train fare to Naples is much more expensive than the other two but that is to be expeced. I'd like a city that allows me to explore a lot within walking distance of the train station. I'd love to go through a few musems and churches and also find a nice spot for lunch.

Also, a large group of my roll call is staying at the same pre cruise hotel near Terimi and we're trying to find a bar/restaurant to have a get together on Nov 4th. Any suggestions?

Naples is the only city among the possibilities you've listed. Orvietto is much smaller than Naples but quite easy to reach and it offers more than enough to fill a day.

Naples would require you to prioritize as there's much too much there to see and do. It is easy, however, and the excellent metro line 1 allows you to access most of the key sites quickly and easily from the train station.

a large group of my roll call is staying at the same pre cruise hotel near Terimi and we're trying to find a bar/restaurant to have a get together on Nov 4th. Any suggestions?

How about the mercato centrale right at Termini? That would allow everyone to grab what they want to eat or drink and avoid the mess of figuring out the bill. It offers a wide variety of options and it's open throughout the day until midnight: http://www.mercatocentrale.it/roma/

I'm embarking on my first TA in a couple months and I'll have a spare day in Rome pre cruise. I'm looking for a nearby city to do a day trip. . .

Have you already spent a lot of time in Rome itself? We've been there multiple times pre-cruise and on a land tour and haven't seen all there is to see although we've visited quite a few churches, parks, historic sites, etc. and walked around a lot. The city itself covers 500 sq mi. so "nearby" cities aren't all that "near" and cost time and money to get to.

Naples is the only city among the possibilities you've listed. Orvietto is much smaller than Naples but quite easy to reach and it offers more than enough to fill a day.

Naples would require you to prioritize as there's much too much there to see and do. It is easy, however, and the excellent metro line 1 allows you to access most of the key sites quickly and easily from the train station.

Thanks for your recommendations. I googled Orvieto and have decided to go there. I’m looking forward to it [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Forums