The ugly tourist (and how not to be one) by Rick Steves

Giantfan13

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/the-ugly-tourist-and-how-not-to-be-one/ar-BBMHxNl?ocid=spartanntp

Saw this on line today and thought it would be an interesting read for anyone traveling the world.

Cheers

Len

Len...I see you've tried to post this on a couple of threads...The link isn't working.

Cheers ;)

Len...I see you've tried to post this on a couple of threads...The link isn't working.

Cheers ;)

WOW, thanks for the heads up. I went back and fixed it.

Just thought it would be a good read for many who are planning on traveling to Europe and other destinations.

Cheers

Len

Enjoy doing things the European way...

By developing a knack for connecting with locals and their culture, we become temporary Europeans -- approaching Europe on its level, accepting and enjoying its unique ways of life.

I find this a little weird, since European cultures are so very different. I hear more just as many "ugly tourist" complaints about other Europeans as I do about Americans.

I assume his point is pretty much just "When in Rome..." which is valid enough. However, the actual writing here is lazy and problematic. By lumping together the cultures and people of over 40 nations, he comes off sounding a bit like the very short-sighted tourists he's deriding.

I think he was more trying to tell people to just get off of those big buses and see where you are. Myself, I have posted this many times, where I try and tell people to just STOP what you are doing, where ever you are, and 'Smell the Roses' as they say. Look around and really see where you are. Try and interact with the 'natives' and you will come away with a much better view of the place you are visiting.

I used to tell this story, when we visited Tallinn. We did the 'walking tour' that was being used on this site, maybe 5 years ago. Everyone was using it. That's fine, we also followed along, but we also love to deviate and look for things, off the beaten path. We try and stay away from the touristy shops and look for local wares in small hidden shops. We found a small lovely shop selling things that we never saw anywhere else and my DW loved some of the wares. We chatted with the owner for about 25 minutes and just loved our experience there.

IN Copenhagen, we also did a walking tour. On going back to the ship, it was a Sunday and we stopped for some ice cream in a park. There were many families enjoying the wonderful day and just by chance we started chatting with one family. well we spent close to an hour there with that family and another who came along. It just added to our experience in Copenhagen.

My point being, things like that don't happen when you are schlepped from place to place on a tour bus, only getting off for a pix or a tour.

Anyway, I just felt that was what Steves was trying to get across.

Cheers

Len

This is the same guy who insists people in Europe do not wear jeans, sneakers, tshirts etc etc. He's outdated by at least 20 years in all his advice. In fact, I really think it is he who comes off as the bumbling tourist.

People all over the world have more in common then he believes is possible. They aren't standing there judging you in your jeans and nikes because they are wearing the same things.

If you are a cruise ship passenger touring a city, you don't really have the luxury of time to see a city. You want to go and see the landmarks it is famous for. So that's why people usually do bigger tours. We don't, but we have spent enough time in Europe to be able to wander. But when going places we have never been and want to cover the major landmarks, I have no hesitation on booking a large tour. I know if I like it, I will be back.