Is it worth my asking.....

Jeffrey1950

My future trip on Queen Mary 2 is with a Sheltered Balcony. I did the same trip last year and really enjoyed having that extra space. It did not bother me that I could not see the sea unless standing but it was sure nice having all that fresh air when ever I wanted it. I am wondering if I could request that regular deck chair be placed on my balcony. Has anyone ever heard of this being done before?

I've heard that one was added on request on a spacious QM2 Queens Grill balcony. The deck chair didn't face the sea (not enough width available), but along the length of the very long balcony (told to me by a fellow passenger a couple of years back).

Although it wouldn't hurt to ask, be prepared for a negative response. As I doubt there would be room for a teak deckchair and the two standard seats on a Britannia balcony (and allowing for the outward opening door), and the steward would have to find room elsewhere... to store one chair normally provided.

There are strict rules about flammable chairs/tables etc on balconies following the 2006 Star Princess fire (one reason why Cunard changed the large/cumbersome plastic full-length sun-loungers originally provided on many QM2 balconies for the current metal chairs, and furthermore added sprinklers on all balconies), so you may find that they may decline for safety reasons.

Bon Voyage!

I did it on a different cruise line.

It's the first thing as you meet with your steward + tips.

The sheltered balconies is a great experience: the are so close to the sea.

Happy cruising.

Yes, they certainly are great although as a solo traveler tend to really boost the price of the fare up but my attitude is I am worth it. One of the best parts you can sit out even when very windy, pouring of rain and there is also the privacy. I only have the Sheltered one now could not go back to the original kind.

I've heard that one was added on request on a spacious QM2 Queens Grill balcony. The deck chair didn't face the sea (not enough width available), but along the length of the very long balcony (told to me by a fellow passenger a couple of years back).

Although it wouldn't hurt to ask, be prepared for a negative response. As I doubt there would be room for a teak deckchair and the two standard seats on a Britannia balcony (and allowing for the outward opening door), and the steward would have to find room elsewhere... to store one chair normally provided.

There are strict rules about flammable chairs/tables etc on balconies following the 2006 Star Princess fire (one reason why Cunard changed the large/cumbersome plastic full-length sun-loungers originally provided on many QM2 balconies for the current metal chairs, and furthermore added sprinklers on all balconies), so you may find that they may decline for safety reasons.

Bon Voyage!

Yes, you are right I never did think about the safety issues.