Harvest Caye

TandK0826

Since this is NCL's private island does that mean that the drinks and food are included? Sure hope so!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

No- food not free. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/ you can view a picture of the menu and pricing in my post here if it’s helpful. We used a couple loungers and enjoyed the beach, had lunch in the restaurant and then went back to the ship. Ubp not honored on the island either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are getting an early ferry over to Belize. We have a short excursion there and then ferry back to HC. This way we get a true "sample" of Belize without missing out on the great pool and pretty Beach. We love Belize and the people are wonderful. Placencia is an adorable place with some fun restaurants. Enjoy and have fun.

Another interesting tidbit is that you can’t get a free glass of water with your meal at the Landshark Bar and Grille. They make you buy a bottled water. I thought that the whole food/bar scene was underwhelming.

Harvest Caye is not a true "Private Island" like NCL's Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.

Due to negotiations with Belize, locals work for their living at HC (you would be supporting Belizeans)!

Nonetheless, you can easily enough return (walk) back to the ship for food and drink at any time throughout the day!

And, certainly the island is lovely to visit, even if for a short while.

You know, Several times I’ve heard people defend the charges for food and drink on Harvest Caye by saying, “it’s supporting Belizeans”! I find that statement really weird. To me the only people I should be worrying about supporting are those I gave birth to! If Norwegian Cruise line wishes to support Belize they are welcome to contribute as are any other individuals who feel that Belize requires their support. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not begrudging the right of Norwegian Cruise line nor the Country of Belize to make a profit. But don’t try to make it some sort of a charitable act for me to buy over priced, watered down, drinks on a man made Caribbean island and expect me to be just thrilled about it because it’s supporting Belizeans!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 5:03 PM, ilovemygirls said:

We are getting an early ferry over to Belize. We have a short excursion there and then ferry back to HC. This way we get a true "sample" of Belize without missing out on the great pool and pretty Beach. We love Belize and the people are wonderful. Placencia is an adorable place with some fun restaurants. Enjoy and have fun.

I'd like to do the same. Where can I find info on the ferry (prices, times, reservations)?

We were just on the island on June 11 with the Breakaway.  From reading posts I wasn't sure what we were walking into, but decided to try to get in a beach day.  If it was horrible our plan was to return to the ship.  The day was great.  The island was beautiful.  We walked further down the beach to get chairs.  We found two with an umbrella in the second row back from the water.  We were almost all the way to the beach cabanas.  The water was nice but not entirely clear.  That was not a problem for us.  Breakaway is a large ship but it didn't feel like the beach was crowded at all.  I would estimate that less than 1 in every 8 chairs was being used.  There were clamshells, floating pads and other things for rent.  We did get lunch at land shark.  We had the fish sandwich and it was quite tasty.  We knew it would be a cost like any other port and thought the prices, portions and quality were fine.  We realize that it is not really a true picture of Belize, but we enjoyed our beach day.  The shops were interesting.  Although we did not go to the pool, we could see it from our table at the Landshark and it was lovely.  We found nothing to complain about at all and would gladly go back there on another cruise.