Virtual CC numbers.

kroozbuddy

Now you can upload CC info when you check in online.

The virtual number has to remain active from the day you enter it to check-in until the day your cruise end. Normally, by the nature of setting up a virtual number, they have a finite life span.

Also, you have to have enough credit line to cover all of your onboard expenses times 2. The cruise line runs authorizations as you incur costs on your cruise. At the end of the cruise, they will run your total bill. Most credit card companies don't recognize this as a charge against the authorizations (your credit card company, not NCL), so you end up with 2x the authorizations. That being said, your virtual number also has to allow for these multiple authorizations (initially when you load it at check-in, then months later during the cruise).

From our uses of one so far, (Old Navy) it has given us one virtual number to use with just that company, so you better monitor fraud with a specific number/company combo.

As for the double charge aspect, we are paying out account off in cash on the final night, so there should be zero charges.

Still looking for someone that has tried this before.

Virtual account numbers were designed for use on the internet. It's highly unlikely one could be used in the manner you're talking about.

Your best bet is to speak with someone at Capital One.

I just took a quick look at my Capital One account & it looks like a virtual account number will be generated at checkout. I can't see any way to use it for any purpose other than online purchases.

If your concern is with entering your credit card information during online check-in, you can probably put any number there. NCL is not going to authorize a transaction based on those documents. They will take your card at check-in as always.

Edited by phoenix1181
additional information

They will take your card at check-in as always.

When we pre-entered our credit card during online check-in, they did NOT swipe our credit card at the port. They did a quick scan of our passports (to capture both the passport number and the photo for security purposes), got our keys, and we were on our way. No credit cards. No webcam photos. Scan of our passport and go.

When we pre-entered our credit card during online check-in, they did NOT swipe our credit card at the port. They did a quick scan of our passports (to capture both the passport number and the photo for security purposes), got our keys, and we were on our way. No credit cards. No webcam photos. Scan of our passport and go.

Wow! I'm amazed to hear they're not running credit cards at check-in. I'm sure that saves a lot of time especially with the the big ships. I wonder if it's more work for Guest Services & creates bigger lines for the first couple of days.

My online check is still showing 100% but I'll keep my eye on it. I really don't like the idea of uploading our passports so they're still going to be taking our photos unless they can take it from the passport when they scan it.