Best Piazza...

TSUmom

Looking for ideas on the best Piazza in Rome to just sit with a glass of wine, light meal and people watching. We would love to spend a few hours in the evening just soaking up the night life. Oh and of course great Gelato!

I'm very partial to the Piazza della Rotonda, the Piazza in front of the Pantheon. The Pantheon makes such a great backdrop for the evening lights, and there's also a nice fountain. Plenty of restaurants and bars ring the piazza and it's usually pretty lively but not entirely overrun (although I don't tend to visit in the highest season). Just north of this piazza are two of my favorite 'classic' gelaterias: San Crispino and Giolitti.

(On a separate note for gelato lovers, there is a new chain recently opening branches around Rome -- the Italian chocolatiers Venchi have opened a number of spots... Also, for more 'new school' gelaterie, I can also recommend Gelateria del Teatro, which has two locations.;))

Piazza Navona is just a bit TOO lively and touristy for me, although I like it more during the day than in the evening. Sitting outside you'll find there are people constantly walking by and real estate (e.g., a table and chairs) is at a premium so often very closely spaced with foot traffic.

Piazza di Pietra, a few blocks from the Pantheon, has been popular in the last few years as a good place for an aperitivo, among locals as well as tourists. When I was there in May (staying almost on the Piazza) it didn't seem to have quite the 'buzz' of the last couple of years though...

Campo dei Fiori is another popular choice, but for some reason has never become a favorite of mine.

There are many more excellent choices and some will depend on where you decide to stay... For example if you're in the Monti neighborhood, the Piazza della Madonna dei Monti would be an equally good choice.

Thank you for another option. Maybe we should try a different Piazza for each of the 3 nights we are there...:D

Absolutely! That is one of the real charms of Rome....so many piazzas so little time. Personally the Piazza Navona has a special place in our hearts (DW and me) despite it often being overrun with large tour groups. But a few hours at one of the cafes, watching the fountains and people has been a favorite activity of ours for many years.

Hank