Is 7 day inside passage adequate?

ghisl

This will be our first Alaskan cruise but not our first time cruising. We're taking my 73 year old folks who have no idea what cruising is but they've always wanted to see Alaska and my father is a nature nut. At first we thought of doing just the basic 7 day inside passage from Vancouver but now we're wondering if we should go with the extra expense and sail all the way to Anchorage. Will we see anything new and different and is it really worth it? Would the Inside Passage be more than sufficient in giving my parents a wonderful holiday and having my father see some incredible sites? Any input is greatly appreciated.

A round trip Vancouver sailing is just EXCELLENT packing plenty into 7 days. Unless you are budgeting another week I would never consider any one ways.

You can get a look at College Fjords on the one ways, but to then just leave Alaska hardly makes the longer and usually more costly flight worthwhile. IF you do want to take some time and see more of wonderful Alaska a one way cruise is just excellent. But for a cruise only, you won't be disappointed with a round trip Vancouver. :)

A round trip Vancouver sailing is just EXCELLENT packing plenty into 7 days. Unless you are budgeting another week I would never consider any one ways.

You can get a look at College Fjords on the one ways, but to then just leave Alaska hardly makes the longer and usually more costly flight worthwhile. IF you do want to take some time and see more of wonderful Alaska a one way cruise is just excellent. But for a cruise only, you won't be disappointed with a round trip Vancouver. :)

Do a one way north bound inside passage for seven days, it is plenty of time, If you need more spend some days extra days driving or the train to anchorage. The north bound leg gets better and better and better and better as you head north. Do Holland or Princess.

Enjoy

I'll agree with BQ on this one. All Alaska cruises are somewhat of a personal negotiation in what is important to you. But for my money, if you don't have the time to do a land package either before or after your cruise, the rt inside passage cruise is great. And saves $ in that you won't need to find airfare to the Anchorage area.

You may want to see if you can book one with Glacier Bay but even if you get Hubbard or Sawyer, you'll find them breath taking.

jmo

-Monte

Do a one way north bound inside passage for seven days, it is plenty of time, If you need more spend some days extra days driving or the train to anchorage. The north bound leg gets better and better and better and better as you head north. Do Holland or Princess.

Enjoy

I disagree, that the Northbound get "better and better". They most certainly did when ships did all coastal sailing and included Valdez and College Fjords. No longer. But MANY now just make a straight shot across the open ocean gulf with NO scenery into Whittier or Seward which is arrived at very early morning. I don't know what you sailed, but College Fjords is the only sure thing for the scenic sailing on the one ways now.

I disagree, that the Northbound get "better and better". They most certainly did when ships did all coastal sailing and included Valdez and College Fjords. No longer. But MANY now just make a straight shot across the open ocean gulf with NO scenery into Whittier or Seward which is arrived at very early morning. I don't know what you sailed, but College Fjords is the only sure thing for the scenic sailing on the one ways now.

2 years ago I did the following on HAL and this is still available. Each day got better and Better! And of course, I maybe exaggerating!

Left Vancouver, B.C. 5:00 pm

Day 1 At Sea inside passage water was flat as a mirror.

Day 2 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm no be deal, nice town, did fishing from bridge. Shopping

Day 3 Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 10:30 pm Helicopter of Mendenhall Glacier, Unbelievable!!!

Day 4 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 9:00 pm Train and bike down, Great tour!

Day 5 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising 1 7:00 am 4:00 pm, did the glacier, watched caving for more than an hour. Incredible!

Day 6 College Fjord Cruising, United 1 5:00 pm 8:00 pm cruised Prince William Sound and College Fjord Unbelievable scenery, Night time, stay up and say the Northern lights.

Day 7 Anchorage (Seward), Alaska 7:00 am All the fishermen did a charter, caught salmon, halibut and cod, ladies did the Kenai Fjords, whales , eagles bear.

If I were do another trip, it would be the same, NB one way. South bound would be starting with the climax and scenery demising. Round trip would be having one leg of the trip in open ocean. Then again it’s probably the most economical.

This of course is only my opinion.

ZSO

We have done both. We did a NB out of Vancouver on the Carnival Spirit in 2001 and a RT out of Seattle on the NCL Star this past June. If I had to make a choice I would do the one-way because we really enjoyed Sitka and Kenai Fjords. However the shorter and cheaper flight home from Seattle this past sumer was very much appreciated. There is no way you will be disappointed either way, but if it's going to save you hundreds or a couple of thousand dollars on the flight, don't sweat it; RT out of Seattle or Vancouver would be fine.

We have cruised Alaska three times.

The inside passage cruise is very nice. Just like cruising to other areas, it does not give you an indepth view of everything but a nice flavor of how pretty Alaska is.

Now, if you want to spend more time up there, you can do say the Northbound cruise and then extend a land package with that. Some of the criuse lines have land package add-ons. Three to consider for that are Celebrity, Princess and Holland.

Either way is nice. A land package would provide some additional days for sightseeing and for seeing more nature that is not just at or near a port. But, either way will probably be wonderful.

Keith

We have done round trips - out of San Francisco years ago - cruise lines don't offer this any more - ours was a 12 day cruise - really got to see a lot of scenery.

We have done the land tours.

We have done back-to-back cruises going north and then returning back to Vancuver - will be doing it again this June.

If you are thinking about doing a land tour and have the time, I would suggest that you do that first and then cruise south bound. The bus trip days can be long and with 73 year old parents, they might tire easily. This way they can rest on the cruise south.

If I were do another trip, it would be the same, NB one way. South bound would be starting with the climax and scenery demising. Round trip would be having one leg of the trip in open ocean. Then again it’s probably the most economical.

This of course is only my opinion.

ZSO

This is not true, round trips do not have "one leg open ocean". I take round trip Vancouvers every year, and all go inside Vancouver island which is extremely scenic, all northbound sailings do so at night. Actually most of the round trips I have been on had more scenic sailing than my one ways- 12 cruises. My example for the least scenery are those that do no do College fjords and as you must know, plenty of people never see Kenai fjords- a must do if in Seward- I'll assume you agree? :)

We have done both. We did a NB out of Vancouver on the Carnival Spirit in 2001 and a RT out of Seattle on the NCL Star this past June. If I had to make a choice I would do the one-way because we really enjoyed Sitka and Kenai Fjords. However the shorter and cheaper flight home from Seattle this past sumer was very much appreciated. There is no way you will be disappointed either way, but if it's going to save you hundreds or a couple of thousand dollars on the flight, don't sweat it; RT out of Seattle or Vancouver would be fine.

Our thoughts for our first Alaska Cruise is to fly into Anchorage. Rent a car, drive up to Denali for 2 days, then return and set sale from Wittier to Vancouver on a 7 day Princess Cruise,

Thoughts? best place for the Car rental ( drop off in Whittier.. pick up im Anchorage) Places to stay in Denail?

Thanks

Jim

Our thoughts for our first Alaska Cruise is to fly into Anchorage. Rent a car, drive up to Denali for 2 days, then return and set sale from Wittier to Vancouver on a 7 day Princess Cruise,

Thoughts? best place for the Car rental ( drop off in Whittier.. pick up im Anchorage) Places to stay in Denail?

Thanks

Jim

You need 4 days ideally to do this. Since your arrival day won't be until afternoon at the ealiest, best is an overnight in Anchorage. I also suggest an overnight in Talkeetna too since it is a great funky Alaska town, 2 nights at Denali Park. Only Avis and the independent Harley's Auto have one way Anchorage Whittier car rentals.

What are you looking for in lodging, runs the gamet- I like B&B's with Touch of Wilderness my top pick, but Denali Park Hotel a great bargain. If at all possible- allow more time, Kenai Fjords is the other top location to consider and don't miss. With the one way car rental you could do it in 5 days.

You will get sticker shock on the drop fees perhaps. Other suggestion would be a cheaper round trip Anchorage rental car, all the majors there plus, Alamo, Payless, Thrifty, Dollar, expect about 30% taxes. then the regular run of the Alaska RR leaving at 10am to Whittier. The rental car option with Whittier drop off does give you more touring time and recommended if you can not add more days.

You need 4 days ideally to do this. Since your arrival day won't be until afternoon at the ealiest, best is an overnight in Anchorage. I also suggest an overnight in Talkeetna too since it is a great funky Alaska town, 2 nights at Denali Park. Only Avis and the independent Harley's Auto have one way Anchorage Whittier car rentals.

What are you looking for in lodging, runs the gamet- I like B&B's with Touch of Wilderness my top pick, but Denali Park Hotel a great bargain. If at all possible- allow more time, Kenai Fjords is the other top location to consider and don't miss. With the one way car rental you could do it in 5 days.

You will get sticker shock on the drop fees perhaps. Other suggestion would be a cheaper round trip Anchorage rental car, all the majors there plus, Alamo, Payless, Thrifty, Dollar, expect about 30% taxes. then the regular run of the Alaska RR leaving at 10am to Whittier. The rental car option with Whittier drop off does give you more touring time and recommended if you can not add more days.

Ok with one of your posts mentioning that some of or most of denali does not open until the 1st of June? Would we still be able to see enough of it? We could perhaps arrive on Sunday as well.

B&B's would be nice.. are there websites for them off hand?

Does one catch the train in Anchorage for Seward? How would one get there with all the luggage if they drop off the car before hand? taxi? shuttles? then would one rent a car in Seward? or shuttle?

Then from Seward which is the best mode of transportation to Whittier?

Thanks bunches

Jim

Ok with one of your posts mentioning that some of or most of denali does not open until the 1st of June? Would we still be able to see enough of it? We could perhaps arrive on Sunday as well.

B&B's would be nice.. are there websites for them off hand?

Does one catch the train in Anchorage for Seward? How would one get there with all the luggage if they drop off the car before hand? taxi? shuttles? then would one rent a car in Seward? or shuttle?

Then from Seward which is the best mode of transportation to Whittier?

Thanks bunches

Jim

At the end of May you can get 53 miles in to Toklat of the total 90 miles of the Park Road. Yes worthwhile in my opinion. Yes plenty of B&B websites, listings http://www.anchorage.net http://www.sewardak.org http://www.denalichamber.com/directory/accommodations/index.html

Yes the Anchorage depot is downtown, you would take a cab there, arrive at least 30 min. before departure. You could rent a Hertz car in Seward but taking a cab will get you around fine, especially if you are going to be out all day on a boat, won't need to get too far. :)

Shuttle, and taxi services Seward to Whittier, no best probably. Choose who can fit your schedule.

At the end of May you can get 53 miles in to Toklat of the total 90 miles of the Park Road. Yes worthwhile in my opinion. Yes plenty of B&B websites, listings www.anchorage.net www.sewardak.org http://www.denalichamber.com/directory/accommodations/index.html

Yes the Anchorage depot is downtown, you would take a cab there, arrive at least 30 min. before departure. You could rent a Hertz car in Seward but taking a cab will get you around fine, especially if you are going to be out all day on a boat, won't need to get too far. :)

Shuttle, and taxi services Seward to Whittier, no best probably. Choose who can fit your schedule.

I see that leaves early in the morning it seems for seward.. like 6 45 am? Would driving down with the one way rental still afford us some of the nice scenery?

I see that leaves early in the morning it seems for seward.. like 6 45 am? Would driving down with the one way rental still afford us some of the nice scenery?

Alaska is not a sleep in town, if you are short on time. :) Yes the drive is very nice and definately worthwhile, but if a Kenai Fjords boat tour is on your agenda- you need to get there in time for the departures. :) Highly recommended. The scenery from the train is superior to the Seward Highway. Reserve your one way car now, I would suggest and cancel it if you end up on the train. They are in short supply.

The Kenai Fjords.. is that like a full 8 hour tour? That is all I seem to of found on the net so far.

WHat have you heard about Lolitas rockinn? b and b in healy?

thanks

The Kenai Fjords.. is that like a full 8 hour tour? That is all I seem to of found on the net so far.

WHat have you heard about Lolitas rockinn? b and b in healy?

thanks

You need at least 6 hours on the water. Some of the 8 hour tours have 2 hours on Fox Island.

Archived