Has anyone here heard IF Carnival will jump on the 'Ban the plastic straw' bandwagon

SmoothFlying

It certainly is a paradox, maybe why they take stands on smaller items....who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because it's relatively painless to give up a straw or plastic bag....but don't take my cruise or jet vacation away from me. That WOULD hurt!

My questions is this: Does Carnival, or any other cruise line, throw garbage of any kind in the seas? How do the straws end up there if the cruise lines are not throwing them overboard?

Some straws end up blowing overboard. How many? I dunno. Enough to have a measurable impact compare to the other sources of plastic in the ocean? Probably not.

But stuff like this has to start somewhere, I guess, and use of plastic straws is something everyone can be conscious of.

Unfortunately, even if we all properly recycled our plastics at home, it is unclear how much of that actually gets turned back into something plastic again vs being tossed into a dump somewhere (possibly China, which is a huge importer of plastic waste, from what I have read).

“Typically, 50% of what you put in your recycling bin is never recycled. It's sorted and thrown out,” said Tom Szaky, CEO of TerraCycle, a recycling company. This is partly due to user error, a common problem which occurs when people place unrecyclable materials into recycling bins.

and

In the United States, there are few facilities that recycle used plastic bottles. Just a few years ago, a used plastic bottle was almost always guaranteed a free trip to China. In 2011, the United States sold 2 million tons of discarded plastic, worth a billion dollars, to China alone. Now those bottles are likely to end up in Riverside, California, at CarbonLite. Intended to create a closed-loop, bottle-to-bottle system here in the U.S., CarbonLite is one of the country’s largest facilities. Opened in 2012, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by Governor Jerry Brown, the 220,000-square-foot space recycles more than 2 billion bottles a year.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/12/what-actually-happens-to-a-recycled-plastic-bottle/418326/