New Cruiser on Ecstasy - Upgrade from JS to GS or not

Cruisin' Firerunner

This will be the first cruise that My wife & I have ever taken & I want it to be special since it's also our 25th anniversary AND her birthday.

I booked a Junior Suite but have started second guessing the location (V1), so I called and inquired about getting a Grand Suite. They said it would cost another $350.00 (total) to upgrade to the GS..... The question I'm left asking now... is a GS worth the extra cost?

In my humble opinion, if I’m going to splurge on a suite on Carnival, I’d start looking at other cruise lines. I personally would take a standard balcony on a newer, more modern ship on a more upscale cruise line than a Grand suite on a fantasy class ship on Carnival. I know that at least my wife would be more impressed, specially if it were a special occasion.

But to answer your question about JS vs GS, I’d probably go for the GS simply because the JS on these older ships are glorified balcony staterooms. Not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my humble opinion, if I’m going to splurge on a suite on Carnival, I’d start looking at other cruise lines. I personally would take a standard balcony on a newer, more modern ship on a more upscale cruise line than a Grand suite on a fantasy class ship on Carnival. I know that at least my wife would be more impressed, specially if it were a special occasion.

But to answer your question about JS vs GS, I’d probably go for the GS simply because the JS on these older ships are glorified balcony staterooms. Not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do appreaciate your opinion. This ship was chosen due to its proximity to us, and being able to cruise on those two special dates were a welcomed bonus.

Neither my wife or I could complain since this cruise is a gift from my parents, so essentially if I decide to move the GS only cost me $350.00 plus gratuity & excursions.:D

We had a junior suite on the Ecstasy in August. This was our first cruise, so I have nothing to compare it too. We had a great cabin steward, Roy, on deck 11. We were in V17. For my husband and I, the room was very adequate. I turned 50 in August and we celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary. If you have any questions about the ship, please feel free to ask.

We had a junior suite on the Ecstasy in August. This was our first cruise, so I have nothing to compare it too. We had a great cabin steward, Roy, on deck 11. We were in V17. For my husband and I, the room was very adequate. I turned 50 in August and we celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary. If you have any questions about the ship, please feel free to ask.

Thanks, Two things that stick out...I've read a lot of reviews about lack of balcony privacy because of the promenade deck. In your experience was this an issue? My balcony is right at the stairway for the "secret" deck, but I've read other than leaving port people never go there....

The second is the aforementioned seasickness - could you feel more movement in your suite than other places on the ship?

Thanks' date=' Two things that stick out...I've read a lot of reviews about lack of balcony privacy because of the promenade deck. In your experience was this an issue? My balcony is right at the stairway for the "secret" deck, but I've read other than leaving port people never go there....

The second is the aforementioned seasickness - could you feel more movement in your suite than other places on the ship?[/quote']

Lack of privacy for us wasn't an issue (below our balcony). Occasionally someone walked by, but very seldom. I might have noticed someone maybe 4 times on our cruise. One day, workers were down there working but for a short time. We were on deck 11 which is the Verandah. Deck 10 is the Lido, not the Promenade. https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-ecstasy.aspx

Fortunately, we never got seasick anywhere on the ship. We did feel movement in our cabin but we also felt movement in the comedy club which is at the back of the ship. We would feel movement at various times, but nothing to amount to anything for us. I do remember once feeling movement when leaving a show and going up the stairs. I laughed and told my husband, someone might accuse me of drinking, because I swayed slightly. lol

We loved the secret deck and only a handful of people were there at a time. It was so nice to go out there a look out at the ocean. We didn't know about it when leaving Charleston, but we were out there when leaving Nassau.

Please feel free to ask anything else, especially if I didn't answer your questions.