How does NCL handle cabs at pier in NYC?

Jewelrymom

I don't know if you have made your hotel reservations already but someone on our March cruise is staying at a hotel where they can park their car for the 11 days and get a transfer to and from the pier. I think she said it was $174 which would be less than parking at the pier.

So the Dawn and the Spirit are leaving the same day... Which pier is it?

Thanks!

When we looked at our options, we decided that taking the Greyhound from Toronto would probably be our best option. We're going to take the overnight that leaves at 9:30pm from Bay St. and will arrive at the bus station, that is about 5 minutes away from the port. It's going to cost us $180 each. ($360 for both of us) cheaper than paying for gas and parking. Would anyone know if it's possible to just walk into the port or is it quite a distance from the road? The bus station is at 8th Ave. between 40th & 41st Street. Mapquest says this is about 5 minutes from the port. Think we can just walk it?

thanks for your help... may be I should just park in the pier ...

When we looked at our options, we decided that taking the Greyhound from Toronto would probably be our best option. We're going to take the overnight that leaves at 9:30pm from Bay St. and will arrive at the bus station, that is about 5 minutes away from the port. It's going to cost us $180 each. ($360 for both of us) cheaper than paying for gas and parking. Would anyone know if it's possible to just walk into the port or is it quite a distance from the road? The bus station is at 8th Ave. between 40th & 41st Street. Mapquest says this is about 5 minutes from the port. Think we can just walk it?

You are brave! We are driving down from Buffalo... I can't decide whether to go down the day before or just arrive the day of... any thoughts?

Port Authority is at 8th Ave. and 40th, Pier is at 12 Ave. and 47th, so that's about a half mile to three quarters of a mile. It all depends on how much luggage you have and how hardy those carriers are;) . Why not just take a cab over?

You are brave! We are driving down from Buffalo... I can't decide whether to go down the day before or just arrive the day of... any thoughts?

It all depends on how you want to feel when you get to NYC. Buffalo is probably a good seven hour drive, so you're looking at leaving around 6:00 am and arriving in NYC around 1 or 2. Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error and unless you've got everything planned for parking, etc. it's likely you'll be pretty frazzled. On the other hand, there's nothing like boarding a cruise ship to dispell that frazzled feeling. Have a great cruise.:D

We got off the Dawn in September to be greeted with taxi chaos,

waited for a good ninety minutes but turned it into a positive by talking to fellow passengers. Chaos and arguements this is part of NYC we came to experience. We were now observing the natives in there own habitat. :)

Not a bad idea but we'll have some time to kill. The bus arrives at 7:30am! Would there be lockers at the port where we could lock up our bags for a few hours? If not, are there any other lockers in the city somewhere? (We have lockers in bus stations and in the malls in Toronto.) We want to be able to have a bit of a nice morning in NYC before boarding.

Port Authority is at 8th Ave. and 40th, Pier is at 12 Ave. and 47th, so that's about a half mile to three quarters of a mile. It all depends on how much luggage you have and how hardy those carriers are;) . Why not just take a cab over?

Not a bad idea but we'll have some time to kill. The bus arrives at 7:30am! Would there be lockers at the port where we could lock up our bags for a few hours? If not, are there any other lockers in the city somewhere? (We have lockers in bus stations and in the malls in Toronto.) We want to be able to have a bit of a nice morning in NYC before boarding.

Since 9/11 I believe any such lockers have long since disappeared, and rightfully so. :o Perhaps someone who's had experience with an early arrival can advise you on ways to enjoy the city in the morning while you've got all that luggage with you.

;)

It is a LONG walk from Port Authority to the dock, probably 98?? meaning- 4 long blocks to 12th then 6 short blocks, about 1/2 mile. Why not just take the 42 bus- you will want the Circle line, NOT Javits which will bring you to 12th, then the short walk north to the ship. Key is one lightweight rolling bag, pack light, there is self service laundry on the Dawn.

As a suggestion for the Buffalo and Toronto passengers, $380 is a BIG sum to pay in my opinion. I always drive to Poughkeepsi, exit 18 at New Paltz on the thruway. Parking is $4/day, free weekends. Then take Metro North train to Grand Central web tickets $24pp off peak round trip. Then either a cab or the 42 bus. It is the most beautiful train ride which I enjoy every trip 1 hour 40 minutes. Runs about every hour.

Generally there are no lockers any more in NYC. I suggest you go drop your bags with porters, they accept them early am. Tip. then do your touring. I am never in a rush to get on the ship.

As a suggestion for the Buffalo and Toronto passengers, $380 is a BIG sum to pay in my opinion. I always drive to Poughkeepsi, exit 18 at New Paltz on the thruway. Parking is $4/day, free weekends. Then take Metro North train to Grand Central web tickets $24pp off peak round trip. Then either a cab or the 42 bus. It is the most beautiful train ride which I enjoy every trip 1 hour 40 minutes. Runs about every hour.

What an awesome idea! I don't take the thruway, though... I have to look at a map and see how far off of Route 17 I have to go to get to New Paltz. I also wonder hopw secure my car will be for a week???

What an awesome idea! I don't take the thruway, though... I have to look at a map and see how far off of Route 17 I have to go to get to New Paltz. I also wonder hopw secure my car will be for a week???

From route 17, you would leave out of Beacon. Even though an extra hour drive from going stright through Jersey, their trains do not run convenient times for me. I have a sister in Binghamton which is how we go to NYC. I've had No problems with the car. I leave mine all the time, generally 4 trips/year. You are best to arrive early as the lots do fill up sometimes. I always get a spot by snagging one from someone leaving on the previous train. You can call the lots and inquire, sometimes they have plenty of space- did so on my recent trip last month. :)

Thank you so much for the great information! I agree that $380 is a lot of money, but we wanted the least stress possible. We've already booked the bus so that will be our route, but your tips were so helpful. Thanks so much! :)

It is a LONG walk from Port Authority to the dock, probably 98?? meaning- 4 long blocks to 12th then 6 short blocks, about 1/2 mile. Why not just take the 42 bus- you will want the Circle line, NOT Javits which will bring you to 12th, then the short walk north to the ship. Key is one lightweight rolling bag, pack light, there is self service laundry on the Dawn.

Generally there are no lockers any more in NYC. I suggest you go drop your bags with porters, they accept them early am. Tip. then do your touring. I am never in a rush to get on the ship.

We are going to park at the pier. I just can't see us with the luggage and kids trying to maneuver very easily. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Jewelrymom

That's a good plan. :)

February . . . :( I hate to sound like the voice of gloom, but you might be in for a snowy drive, with you and the storm heading towards NYC. Do you have a Plan B for extra travel time should the forcasts be for bad weather?

We do have extra days before and after the cruise just in case we need to leaver earlier. Since we are quite used to the snow, it will probably be fine. We live in Northwest Indiana right off of Lake Michigan so we are in a lake effect snow belt. :eek: Not that I like to drive in snow or storms, but the 4 wheel drive helps and we usually take the cautious side and leave earlier or later depending on what is going on. With our luck, we will be right in the midlle of a noreaster! I hope not. We leave on Feb. 26th on the Spirit. Thanks for your concern!! :)

Archived