Reliable family transfers with carseat/booster

idreamofvacations

Hello,

We are a family of 4 including two carseat kids (one forward facing carseat and one booster seat).

What is the most efficient way to get from FLL to miami cruise port (msc seaside) while keeping our kids safe? Is there a coach bus shuttle option? I see uber offers one carseat for $10 but that leaves out booster kid (6) without a proper seat.

We will also likely be travelling with a second family with 2 forward carseat kids and one rear facing kid.

Thanks for your help.

The last time we did this we booked a private shuttle for 4 adults and 3 kids with 3 carseats and they showed up with only one seat! Then our return trip they didnt even show up.

It's been my experience that when we book transportation and tell them we need a carseat they somehow forget it. I just check our car seat when we fly (has always been free) and bring my own. That way I have, it if we need it, at one of the ports.

Agree with bringing your own seats, it’s not easy to know whether a seat is installed properly unless you are familiar with it. I was a volunteer car seat tech for 5 years and I always travelled with our own car seats and boosters.

If you are in the US you have different options than what we have in Canada. There are some folding boosters that are convenient for travel, my preference was for car seats with built in lock offs when travelling so they can be installed anywhere.

Remember, if you don’t own the seat, you don’t know the history. Car seats are (in general) one accident use, so if the seat has been dropped or in a fender-bender, you may not know because it won’t have damage visible to the eye. There are risks associated with checking a car seat, but the car seat forums have good advice for packing them safely. Or install the car seat on the plane, it’s the safest way for kids to travel by air too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In your situation I would pay for the cruise line transfer bus - no car seats required.

For Uber, Lyft, taxi and shared shuttles you'd need two car seats - as suggested above, bringing your own is a good idea and the airline will check them for free if you choose not to use them on the flight. UberXL or a minivan/SUV taxi from FLL area to POM will run about $70-75. Shared shuttles (SAS, QLS, Go Airport, etc.) start at about $15 per person each way.

Your call! ;)

It's not the car seat that is the issue (IMHO) is properly installing the seat because if you don't and there is an accident, there is no protection.

If you want safety -- I vote for one of those large buses.

Otherwise, you hope that the UBER/LYFT/Taxi will give you the time to install the seat properly.