Guaranty cabins

porrah

15 hours ago, genie54 said:

Like others on this thread, when we booked on the Star several months ago, we were encouraged by Viking to get the guaranty, and purchased the V2. Although no promises were made at that time, we were told the V1 category was sold out and so the probability of an upgrade was good.  We are on the Nov 15 Star sailing which apparently is not selling well.  Now, I am a little squeamish because the Viking rep told me today that we are not likely to get an upgrade because there is lots of availability on this cruise.  I guess I thought it was the other way around--that the possibility of an upgrade is greater if there is lots of availability.  Also, some of the DV categories have been discounted on their website, so I thought about just purchasing an upgrade when we get to the port, but am being told by Viking, that upgrading at the port would actually be more expensive because all the categories are sold at the original price at the port.  This is different than every other line we've been on.  Anyone know anything about how the guaranty works based on availability? and if it's true that prices are actually higher at the port?  The reason I started looking in to this is that we also got Viking Air which puts us into an extremely long travel day--having to leave home at 3 a.m. to make their flight, but not being able to get into our cabin until 3 pm with the V2 guaranty.   This is our first Viking cruise, and so far I'm not impressed. 

We booked a V2 guarantee for our TA last March and were encouraged like you were that it was likely we would get upgraded. Thankfully I didn’t put any stock in that as about 4 months prior to sailing we were assigned a V2.  

At that time DVs were selling for less than we paid and Penthouses for only $200 more. After a number of phone calls and a threat to cancel and rebook the same room at a savings to us of about $300 after paying the cancellation fee, Viking offered and we accepted a $400 which paid for the Silver Spirits package.  

While I still don’t understand why they didn’t want to move us up rather than give us obc, we didn’t let it ruin our cruise...it was great and we are trying to cruise them again. 

With only a few days before sailing  our cabin assignment appeared on My Viking Journey. we booked a DV2 (3rd floor stern and have a 3 cabin upgrade to DV5 which is the same area one floor up. Happy enough but with the late allocation despite the ship being full for nearly two months we miss out on using the perks to be able to prebook a speciality restaurant as it closed for last week. We'll take our chances on-board and previously been able to visit on multiple occasions. 

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We booked a V2 guarantee for our TA last March and were encouraged like you were that it was likely we would get upgraded. Thankfully I didn’t put any stock in that as about 4 months prior to sailing we were assigned a V2.  

At that time DVs were selling for less than we paid and Penthouses for only $200 more. After a number of phone calls and a threat to cancel and rebook the same room at a savings to us of about $300 after paying the cancellation fee, Viking offered and we accepted a $400 which paid for the Silver Spirits package.  

While I still don’t understand why they didn’t want to move us up rather than give us obc, we didn’t let it ruin our cruise...it was great and we are trying to cruise them again. 

I followed your blog on the trip.  We stayed in 3010 on our first cruise which is close to where your cabin was, if not the exact one.  That is a V1 cabin actually.  So though the cabin is the same, you were upgraded from V2.  Had a V2 on MO cruise this spring and they are in the aft part of the ship.  It is a crap shoot if you play the odds and I'm glad you came out a winner.

Please be careful when booking booking a guarantee DV6....deck 3....IMO cabins 3057,55,53 and mabe 51. should NOT be used for passengers (let the entertainers use them)....these are over Torshavn and noisy until usually midnight!!!  We also have been in 3003 near the anchor and over the Theatre and 3055 was definitley worse!!!  3003 was fine, barely heard the theatre/practice/performance and just used the occasional anchor (tender ports) as an alarm clock!!!  A little more rocky in 3003!

We certainly are Viking cheerleaders and think the v2/v1 are great bargains....but be careful with what is below deck 3!!!  Next cruise is in 3075...will let you know!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dauntless said:

I followed your blog on the trip.  We stayed in 3010 on our first cruise which is close to where your cabin was, if not the exact one.  That is a V1 cabin actually.  So though the cabin is the same, you were upgraded from V2.  Had a V2 on MO cruise this spring and they are in the aft part of the ship.  It is a crap shoot if you play the odds and I'm glad you came out a winner.

Thanks for the correction, but your comment reminded me we bought a V1 since V2s were "waitlist" at our purchase time.  So agree with your crapshoot comment but unfortunately we just got what we paid for.  So my regret is that we didn't wait to purchase until closer to cruise time....also a crapshoot I know.  LOL

8 minutes ago, genie54 said:

Well, I agree that it is a crapshoot, but we are 26 days to go from the Nov 15 Star Cuba cruise and were just notified of the assignment of a DV1 upgrade from the V2 guaranty.  Doing the cruise happy dance now, LOL.

Where does that put you on the ship?  I know where the V2 cabins are.