B2B Cruises - Why do you do it?

Grommet

We did a b2b on Allure. It was our first time on a Oasis class. So there was plenty to do.

Plus we had our two teenage kids with us and they knew nothing about the b2b.

So the morning of the end of our first leg, while eating breakfast. We surprised our kids with the info, that were not getting off that morning. That we were staying a second week. The look on their face was the greatest.

Plus you’re the first people back on the ship. So for a little while you have the ship to your self.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why I like B2B's.

As a retired guy who lives where it gets cold in the winter I prefer to cruise in the Caribbean for the warm weather.

Normally I cruise for 10 weeks from Oct. - Dec., come home the first week of Jan. to pay the yearly bills, then head down to San Juan to cruise the southern Caribbean from Jan. thru May.

A side benefit of cruising the southern Caribbean is that you're in Aruba (a Dutch island) every other week, which means you can get your prescriptions filled at a vastly lower price. For example, a 3 month prescription that would cost me $470 in the States only costs $50 in Aruba. Saves $1680 annually.

My retirement plan initially was to buy a home in Florida and live there 6 months a year and in Virginia for the other 6.

However, you can only be in one place at a time and having 2 places means you need 2 of everything. So, from a cost perspective it is much cheaper cruising than being a double home owner.

But, the big difference is this. You are sailing every week with about 4,000 different folks who have paid good money to have a good time.

To me that is the best recipe for having a good time while you're away from home.

Plus, you don't have to grocery shop, cook or clean, especially the bathrooms.

For me it all adds up to a nice, simple, enjoyable lifestyle.

My hero!

My retirement plan initially was to buy a home in Florida and live there 6 months a year and in Virginia for the other 6.

However, you can only be in one place at a time and having 2 places means you need 2 of everything. So, from a cost perspective it is much cheaper cruising than being a double home owner.

Not really, there are other options. We have a small home in Florida (downsizing from the large home on the water we had in Florida before we retired). We spend the summers in Maine, driving the "land yacht" up there to stay at a favorite small campground for 4 months. Winter is cruise season for us...with 90% being "drive to" cruises. ;)

Edited by island lady

Our first B2B was on Indy of the Seas. We flew to England and took the 5 day portion first to France, Belgium and Holland. We stayed on board for the 15 day TA back to the US. Why? To see a bit Europe and then a sunny cruise to the Caribbean. We also just plain love cruising and the longer, the better! We never want to disembark. :cool: We are taking another B2B in a couple of weeks. Same ship yes, but, different ports.

For many of the reasons already stated, one flight, longer cruise. having had to cancel our two Oasis Class cruises, the Oasis then Allure due to family emergencies, and redeployment. I will do a b2b on the Allure. More time to see and enjoy such a large ship will be the main reason, Pots less. All our cruises have been 11 + days and prefer the longer cruises. A flight from So Calf to an East Coast city is expensive so would rather do it once and get two cruises on a b2b.