Joe Banana

Breakfast_at_Taylors

We’re looking into booking some sort of Amalfi Coast tour with Joe Banana (preferably by boat...) during our stop in Naples and have heard great things. But can someone clarify for me—are the tours (especially by boat) “private” as they say, or are you lumped into a group? Any other info on this company and their Sorrento/Positano/etc. excursions from Naples would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

I have used Joe Banana several times and they do a great job.

Our tour with them of the Amalfi Coast was by private vehicle.

My suggestion is to e-mail them with your question about the boat. They usually respond within 24 hours.

Keith

I was looking at their boat tours also. I only saw 2 options, both were under Private Tours; 4 pax on the 28ft boat or 12 pax on the 38 ft boat. I assume that if you choose the large boat you would need to use your roll call to find additional pax OR pay the full cost. But as Ketih suggested .... email the vendor for verification. Please let us know what you learn.

https://www.joebananalimos.net/Boat-Tours/Boat-tours-from-Naples/naples-boat-tour

I'm now looking at a different option. I like the idea of seeing the Amalfi coast by sea (I did so in Cinque Terra) but I also want to see Pompeii. So I've contacted a couple of vendors about a custom itinerary ......a driver would take us from Naples port to Positano, where we would take the ferry to Amalfi (1/2 hr, 8E ). We would have lunch then the driver would take us to Pompeii for 2 hrs, then back to Naples.

I was looking at their boat tours also. I only saw 2 options, both were under Private Tours; 4 pax on the 28ft boat or 12 pax on the 38 ft boat. I assume that if you choose the large boat you would need to use your roll call to find additional pax OR pay the full cost. But as Ketih suggested .... email the vendor for verification. Please let us know what you learn.

https://www.joebananalimos.net/Boat-Tours/Boat-tours-from-Naples/naples-boat-tour

I'm now looking at a different option. I like the idea of seeing the Amalfi coast by sea (I did so in Cinque Terra) but I also want to see Pompeii. So I've contacted a couple of vendors about a custom itinerary ......a driver would take us from Naples port to Positano, where we would take the ferry to Amalfi (1/2 hr, 8E ). We would have lunch then the driver would take us to Pompeii for 2 hrs, then back to Naples.

Mapleleaves - can I ask what vendors you have contacted and how long of a day this would be? This sounds like a great compromise. We too were considering this.

Mapleleaves - can I ask what vendors you have contacted and how long of a day this would be? This sounds like a great compromise. We too were considering this.

When I hear back, I'll share the information with you! I'm assuming the usual 8-9 hr tour.

In looking at maps I wonder if it would be easier if we took the ferry to Salerno instead. Going to Pompeii from Salerno looks like a straight shot on the hwy whereas Amalfi to Pompeii might require some backtracking on that slow winding road. I'll leave those details to them to figure out!

I just know that I want some time on the water to enjoy the views. For me, seeing Cinque Terre from the sea was much more dramatic than walking thru the towns so I think the Amalfi Coast would be a similar experience.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, eurodl said:

I've heard back from 3 vendors.  ItalyToursEU will NOT customize, but Aldo Limo and Joe Banana WILL..  Basically you're hiring a driver with a 6 pax minivan for 8/9 hrs at 400/450E.  They'll go where you want, but they're extremely mindful of the ship's departure time.  They shaved some time off my plans , but  I  understand and appreciate their need for wiggle room in case of accidents or any delay.  That's why I put Pompeii at the end .... if anything goes wrong, it's better to be 1/2 hr from the ship than 1 1/2 hrs  away in Amalfi.  

This was my proposed itinerary:  8am pick up at Naples port   9:30am drop us in Positiano,   11am ferry to Amalfi,    at 12:30 we meet the driver and drive to Pompeii, 2-4 Pompeii, then back to the ship.  

Hope this helps. Good luck with your plans!

44 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I've heard back from 3 vendors.  ItalyToursEU will NOT customize, but Aldo Limo and Joe Banana WILL..  Basically you're hiring a driver with a 6 pax minivan for 8/9 hrs at 400/450E.  They'll go where you want, but they're extremely mindful of the ship's departure time.  They shaved some time off my plans , but  I  understand and appreciate their need for wiggle room in case of accidents or any delay.  That's why I put Pompeii at the end .... if anything goes wrong, it's better to be 1/2 hr from the ship than 1 1/2 hrs  away in Amalfi.  

This was my proposed itinerary:  8am pick up at Naples port   9:30am drop us in Positiano,   11am ferry to Amalfi,    at 12:30 we meet the driver and drive to Pompeii, 2-4 Pompeii, then back to the ship.  

Hope this helps. Good luck with your plans!

This is great!  Thank you so much for this mapleleaves, this is VERY helpful.  Sounds like a great compromise.  I'd love to know which one you decide to go with and how it works out.  When do you sail?  I've turned off signatures since the update as some of them were very long and took too much time to scroll.

Our trip isn't until next Sept 15 !! You'll probably get there first !  The Epic out of Barcelona. 

I'll do a detailed trip report when I get back.   It surprises me how so many people post questions on these boards but never report back on how things worked out with their cruise or hotels or vendors. 

We actually don't sail until October 2019 so you will beat us to the punch.  Can't wait to hear your review.  We will be on Emerald Princess.  We are looking at doing Celebrity Infinity TA from Rome to Miami after our Mediterranean cruise.  This would be our first on Celebrity.

Agree with people not reporting back.  Sure would like to hear how things worked out.

We just returned from our Sicilian Splendors cruise aboard the Wind Surf. We were suppose to tender into Sorrento but due to rough seas we were diverted to Salerno. We had booked a private car and driver through Aldo Limos to take us to Positano and Ravello (we have been to Pompeii). As soon as I learned about the change I contacted them in the hopes they would still meet us in Salerno and we could still do our tour with them. Unfortunately, due to fires above Positano, they said they would be unable to meet us in Salerno. It would take too long to drive for them and for us to do our intended itinerary in the amount of time we had. They were so very gracious and we were so very sad to miss them. 

Instead, we found a driver in Salerno who took 6 of us to Ravello for the day. The drive was a bit crazy on those roads! The following day our cruise called in Amalfi. We took the ferry from Amalfi to Positano right away in the morning and got there before all the other tourists. We ferried back to Amalfi with about an hour to spare to walk around there before our 1 pm all aboard. 

Taking the ferry was certainly breathtaking. We had also taken the ferry from Portofino to the Cinque Terra so I understand your wanting to see the Amalfi coast from that perspective. I’m not sure Aldo Limos does boat tours but it’s worth an email to them.even though we were unable to use them this trio, I highly recommend them. Such nice and caring folks who put our needs above their profit that day. 

Here is a picture from the ferry as we arrived in Positano. 

0598977F-6950-4497-A25B-5C56160A0BAA.jpeg

Edited by Ski Mom 2
Added photo

yes, thx for posting your photo.  This is exactly why I wanted to include the ferry. Really looking forward to it.

I'm leaning towards Aldo Limo because of their detailed responses and inquiries about my plan.  Glad to hear you thought well of them.