Financing?

3 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

We have a fund specifically for trips and just extra things we may want to do. Each month we each put a specific amount in the account and there ya go. Paid for, no interest paid, actually earning a bit of interest until then. 

The wife was a financial planner in her earlier life so I have that going for me. 

We have a vacation savings account, and I add to it monthly. 

19 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

We have a fund specifically for trips and just extra things we may want to do. Each month we each put a specific amount in the account and there ya go. Paid for, no interest paid, actually earning a bit of interest until then. 

I take it a step further - I have it broken out of each direct deposit automatically. Money hits account, money moves to our vacation account which is an 'out of sight, out of mind' account 🤗

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crookedhalo said:

I take it a step further - I have it broken out of each direct deposit automatically. Money hits account, money moves to our vacation account which is an 'out of sight, out of mind' account 🤗

This is what we do too. No discipline required. IIRC, I can specify when I want to access it (like November/December for a holiday club), and I can’t do an on-line transfer to checking before then just in case I’d be tempted to use it for other things. 

What is is the benefit of making payments to RCI over time before final payment?  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NewSalt said:

This is what we do too. No discipline required. IIRC, I can specify when I want to access it (like November/December for a holiday club), and I can’t do an on-line transfer to checking before then just in case I’d be tempted to use it for other things. 

What is is the benefit of making payments to RCI over time before final payment?  

I don't have to put it into an account and then make a payment, it's all done directly each month. I doubt I'm losing that much interest on the money and it's convenient for me.

I prefer to hold it until final payment - not for the interest, but because if something should come up and I end up having to cancel for some reason, I'm not waiting for them to credit my money back (which always seems to take much longer than when they take it). Also, it makes it easier to keep track of price drops for me (which don't happen as often anymore:classic_sad:).

52 minutes ago, crookedhalo said:

I prefer to hold it until final payment - not for the interest, but because if something should come up and I end up having to cancel for some reason, I'm not waiting for them to credit my money back (which always seems to take much longer than when they take it). Also, it makes it easier to keep track of price drops for me (which don't happen as often anymore:classic_sad:).

Your way works for you and mine for me. I'm not overly concerned about getting my money back in a hurry and if I have to cancel it would be well inside final payment date anyway so I'd still have to wait. I hear you on the price drops, since we booked the cruise has just gone up.

Edited by sparks1093

On 10/20/2018 at 8:01 PM, dmw1952 said:

15% is only a suggested interest rate & is based on person's credit profile.  Per the financer's website it can range as high as 36%...OUCH

Poor people will continue to do what makes them poor....wealthy people will continue to do what makes them wealthy.