Where to back up photos/videos dai

ceejilly

On 10/21/2018 at 5:51 AM, ceejilly said:

Hi

In all the years I have cruised I have never backed up my memory cards and have got away with it:classic_smile: but this coming January we are sailing around New Zealand and I reckon I ought to sort this dilemma out.  So experts can you advise me please what is the best way ahead, I haven't and really do not want to purchase a laptop to backup but would an iPad do the job? I am a Apple user so a iPad seems to be the best answer but I would like your advice.  My idea would be to download photos/videos from my Nikon and GoPro daily onto the iPad and then transfer them onto a Scandisk IXpand 64GB flash drive for iPhone & iPad, once home transfer them all onto my iMac.

Would this be the best option I have without purchasing a laptop?  Your collective thoughts would be appreciated

Craig

If your camera has NFC or WiFi , you can transfer photo or video from camera  to your smart phone. 

From your smart phone you can:

a) If your smart phone accepts micro SD memory card, you move/copy files from your phone onto micro SD memory. 

b) upload photo/video from smart phone to cloud when Wifi is available in port. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2018 at 9:33 AM, pierces said:

Chances of a card failure are slim, but not zero. I have used my Amazon Fire to back up images while traveling by using a compatible card reader. I simply copy from the card to the 128GB micro-SD card in the Fire with no real effort to organize since it is just for backup use and the original cards are not re-used. Copying to your iPad and then re-copying to external storage should provide the same function with the one additional step.

Dave

This seems like a good solution, but sorry I do not understand how it works.  What kind of card reader would be compatible with the Amazon Fire and how does that card reader connect to the Fire?  The only ports my Fire has are the one for the micro-SD card and the one used for charging.  Thanks!

15 hours ago, Ben2travel said:

This seems like a good solution, but sorry I do not understand how it works.  What kind of card reader would be compatible with the Amazon Fire and how does that card reader connect to the Fire?  The only ports my Fire has are the one for the micro-SD card and the one used for charging.  Thanks!

You need a small normal reader and an OTG USB cable. The cable has a normal-sized female connector on one end for the reader and a male micro-USB on the other. It plugs into the charging port and you use the built-in file manager or a third party one to copy images from the SD card to the Fire's internal storage or micro-SD.

Dave

2 hours ago, pierces said:

You need a small normal reader and an OTG USB cable. The cable has a normal-sized female connector on one end for the reader and a male micro-USB on the other. It plugs into the charging port and you use the built-in file manager or a third party one to copy images from the SD card to the Fire's internal storage or micro-SD.

Dave

Thanks, so much, Dave.  I did not realize that the charging port could be used in that fashion.  I will definitely give this a try.  Happy travels!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, truel1111 said:

Get a  Western Digital  "MY PASSPORT WIRELESS PRO"    

https://www.wd.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html#WDBVPL0010BBK-NESN 

it read SD card for backup .

Perfect for backup memory cards when travelling.

Thanks for that suggestion. Exactly what I was looking for. Got it last week and it's a breeze to do what I need - back up a near full 64gig memory card. It does a wealth of other tasks which I'll not need but will work great for securing our vacation pix. I have no idea how many I'll use on our 16 day trip to Alaska this Spring. Got two camera bodies, shooting RAW & jpeg, and a GoPro7Black. Thinking 5 for GP, 10-12 for 2 Nikons.