Rome to Barcelona

Desert_ Dweller

Possibly someone can help us with some help finding an airline  FCO to BCN that will take our cruise luggage.  Or maybe you can tell us what to expect.

We will  disembark in Civitavecchia  and want to make our way to Barcelona where we will board NCL Epic. We would like to see Barcelona  for 2 days before boarding the Epic.

But not sure  what airlines to avoid  and which one to  use that will also take our cruise luggage at a reasonable price.  (I don't even know what a reasonable price might be).

I look forward to your suggestions.

Ryanair fly FCO to BCN.  They are low cost and the extras can add up, just go through the website slowly.  At least, you can do a dummy booking without having to add your personal information.

I recommend that you book the 'Plus' fare, as this includes a carry on (specific size and weight) and 1 x 20 kg suitcase.  You can each  add up to 2 additional bags of 20kg each. Adding additional bags at the booking stage is good value compared to adding them later (normally eur 25 per bag at booking and around eur 40 per bag is you add them later).

Weights and sizes are strictly enforced, but if you follow their rules, they are ok.

p.s. seats don't recline at all.

I found a few airlines that do that route a couple of times a day. They are not outrageously priced so who you choose will depend on your comfort zone. The train is a similar price but takes 23 hours with multiple stops so not a viable option.

Ryan Air 

looks the cheapest but Charges for carry on and a 20kg suitcase instead of 23kg like everyone else. They charge 12£ for each kg over the limit. Too many fees for my liking. I would only choose them if price was the most important consideration.

Veuling

Mock bookings are about $125€ and not the easiest site to navigate. A possible choice if you have dates for price comparison with Alitalia.

Alitalia  air

mock April bookings are $95-$150 with a 23kg suitcase 

mock July bookings are $150-$175 with luggage 

you can book through their USA website that’s easy to navigate 

Edited by lamchops

Have you considered taking the ferry right from Civitavecchia to Barcelona?  It eats up more time (20 hours for the crossing) but part of that is overnight (it departs around 10-11 PM) and has the convenience of avoiding two airports and the transit to and from them.

https://www.grimaldi-lines.com/it/tariffe/civitavecchia-barcellona

Edited by euro cruiser