Miami transport with kids...

firsttimecruiser1986

I found a hotel that is 4 minutes (driving) from the Port. It's only a 24 minute walk and we will have time to waste, is this doable?

My biggest question is I am trying to avoid bringing car seats with. I've heard a lot of people do this, but what transport do you use from the Port back to the airport? I was going to use the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I don't think an Uber would work because we would need car seats, right? Help! 

Thank you!

Where is your hotel located in the Downtown/Brickell area.  That will make a huge difference in walking as some areas are not that great to walk through.  I do walk all the time in the area to where the road to the port starts.

I will also caution you that how nice the walk is also depends on what time of year it is.  Summer is extremely hot and humid and the walk would be miserable!

I'm not quite sure that walking with young kids that need to be in a  car sit plus dragging luggage would be ideal.  The road into the port itself and a small sidewalk along a busy road.  I personally wouldn't walk that with young kids.

If you let us know where you are staying, we can give you some alternatives to walking.  There is a free trolley service around here, there is also the free metromover which depending on where you are would bring you closer.  

Uber is required to have the car seat but shuttles are not I believe.  Some local hotels here do have a pay shuttle that they offer. 

Thank you for responding! 

I didn't even think of areas not safe to walk in, duh! Also, glad to know about the sidewalk to the port, that's what I was afraid of. Our trip is in February. Ideally, I'd like to stay downtown so we can shop and sight see or possibly stay by the beach, either way we need to find transport with our 2 boys. What would our options be without car seats? I'm having a hard time finding information by googling it.

What is the name of the trolley? Does it go to the port? Do you know which hotels offer a pay shuttle to take us to the port? 

Although, we still have to get from the port to the airport, so I need ideas there, unless the airport itself has a pay shuttle? 

What hotel were you looking at?  Miami is so large that it would be easier if you gave a price range.  The Brickell area is a great area to look with the kids.  Hampton Inn Brickell is one that is always mentioned on here.  Lots of places to walk, shop and eat out.  Plus there is the trolley and free metromover to get around. People that are visiting also love going over to Bayside, which is in downtown. Lot's of things to do and see there.

If it's a beach you are looking for, then either stay over on Miami/South Beach.  

None of the hotels in the downtown or Brickell area will have shuttle from the airport.  However if you aren't afraid of lugging your luggage, you can take the train during the day time from MIA to the downtown/Brickell area.  

There are companies that do airport transfers that will have car seats available.  I don't personally know of any but I'm sure someone who has done this will chime in soon with some references. 

Here is the MIA website which will discuss some transportation options including a shuttle company.

http://www8.miamidade.gov/mia/taxicabs-shuttles.asp

If you stay in the Brickell area, the Coral Way Trolley actually stops here and does go into the port area. 

Here is the website of the trolley and just go to the Coral Way page.

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/

Here is the website for the Metromover here in the Brickell/downtown area.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover.asp

I would do some research on the Family Cruise board to see what others cruising with young children figured out for transportation.  I think Super Shuttle can provide transport with seats from MIA to downtown hotels.

How old and how big?  There are travel booster seats available from Target and Amazon - some are even inflatable.  The airline will check your car seats for free if you choose not to use them on the plane.

You could choose a hotel near MIA with an airport shuttle.  The morning of your cruise shuttle back to MIA and take the cruise line transfer bus to the port - more expensive but no car seats required.

Edited by JohninDC

When we have needed car seats provided we have used South Florida Shuttles.

www.southfloridashuttles.com

(954) 227-0311

We had wonderful service from this private shuttle company....just request the type of seat you need with them...toddler or infant ones.