Dining Dress Code & Other questions - American Queen

Banya

Hi!

I'll be going for the first time - on the American Queen - this November, for my mom's 70th birthday. 

I was curious about the dress code for dinner?  Are Jeans and a Polo ok?

Also, I noticed there was a "cinema" on board...which after looking at a picture just looked like a room with a big tv...    Do they just show old dvds or what?  Are there a DVD players in the rooms?

Also...will there be anyone else there that aren't senior citizens? :)

One more: Alcohol - is it open bar or is that just during dinner?

Edited by Banya

People generally dress in the "country club casual" mode at dinner.  You might feel slightly underdressed in jeans and polo, but no-one will say anything.

Wine and beer are free at dinner only.

We have taken several trips on the AQ and frankly most passengers (including us) ARE senior citizens.  Most are interesting and well-traveled folks so don't let that deter you!

Not sure about the cinema...don't recall that.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers, LDVinNC!  

One more: How does the hop on/hop off excursions work?  Do you get a map at the beginning of each port?  Do you have some sort of ID to get into the designated places for free?

We sailed on AQ in August. Dress was casual but we understand on some trips they have a Captains party which requires a little fancier dress. I took a long sleeve shirt and tie just in case but did not need it. We agree with earlier post, ages seemed to range from 50's to 80's. We met some fascinating well traveled passengers. As far as the hop on/hop off buss are concerned they are fantastic. We rode the entire circuit at first then picked our place of interest the next time around. We were never asked of ID at any time. Pickup spots are clearly marked.  Happy to answer any questions you may have.

• Like 1

They do give you a map showing the stops in each port.  It is a great system, and easy to use.  You go to the purser's office the night before (or morning of the day) and get tickets for your party, selecting the timeframe you want to get on the bus.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 9:44 AM, Banya said:

Thanks for your answers, LDVinNC!  

One more: How does the hop on/hop off excursions work?  Do you get a map at the beginning of each port?  Do you have some sort of ID to get into the designated places for free?

The hop on/ hop off excursions were well organized and very interesting. We were given a map ( We were on the New Orleans to Memphis trip) at each port that highlighted the designated stops where the bus left us off and, more importantly, where we had to go to get back to the ship. There were bright, easy to locate sandwich boards at each stop on the itinerary. There was also a guide on each bus who provided some background information and assisted with any questions. We never needed to show anything to identify ourselves as passengers for free entry. The people at the sites seemed to know when the bus was scheduled to arrive and were ready to welcome us. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 3:38 PM, Banya said:

Hi!

I'll be going for the first time - on the American Queen - this November, for my mom's 70th birthday. 

I was curious about the dress code for dinner?  Are Jeans and a Polo ok?

Also, I noticed there was a "cinema" on board...which after looking at a picture just looked like a room with a big tv...    Do they just show old dvds or what?  Are there a DVD players in the rooms?

Also...will there be anyone else there that aren't senior citizens? 🙂

One more: Alcohol - is it open bar or is that just during dinner?

FWIW, you can add a drinks package for non-meal-times.  It came out to a little more than $20 per day per person for us - $699 for the 2 of us for a 16 day cruise.  I only say this because I had a little trouble funding this out.

Also, if you don't already have it, the printed booklet has quite a bit of info on the free excursions available at each stop and the hoho bus as well as the premium (extra cost) excursions.  I recommend getting the booklet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be on the American Duchess in April and have questions about the hop-on/hop-off. How frequently do the buses run? Are they every hour or half hour, for example? Are there are other stops you can visit besides the ones listed under "Included Excursions" on the website? Also, do they run the entire time we're in port?

The "cinema" on the AMERICAN QUEEN is a rather small public space well hidden and really is nothing more than a flat screen TV mounted on the aft bulkhead. The deck is flat and the chairs can be rearranged to serve the room's needs.

The small TVs in most staterooms do not play DVDs. Perhaps in the suites they do, but I can't say for sure. 

On 11/24/2018 at 6:47 PM, tiller said:

I'll be on the American Duchess in April and have questions about the hop-on/hop-off. How frequently do the buses run? Are they every hour or half hour, for example? Are there are other stops you can visit besides the ones listed under "Included Excursions" on the website? Also, do they run the entire time we're in port?

So I just got back - the buses run every fifteen minutes. (Give or take.)  If you're fit enough, most of the locations are within walking distance of each other (with some exceptions).  They also have a map of where everything is so I made a plan the day before each stop.  For a few of them, I took the bus to the furthest spot and then walked back, checking things off on our way back to the trip.

5pm the day before, you'll go to the Purser's desk.  There is a kiosk there where you click what time you want to leave, plus the number of tickets.  Print those out and you're golden.  They let you know when the last bus runs each day and what time you absolutely need to be back on board.

There are paid excursions as well. I think you can find a list of those either through their website or through your travel agent.