almost a bait and switch experience

puli

I too would appreciate a straight forward website that showed all the options.   On at least three occasions the price changed higher when I went to book.  I called and got varying degrees of help.  Then later after being told I couldn’t have the lower price I saw, it showed up again on the website.  So there is some bait and switch happening!  

They need to get their act together! 

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you.  To the best of my fading memories, I've never seen that kind of fare on the website.  I knew that one could ask for pricing that didn't include the current perks but I've always had to ask for that.

When you limit yourself to the HAL website and booking direct with HAL you only see and get what HAL wants you to see and get :).  If you use some decent cruise agencies an entirely different world opens up including different pricing options and generous OBCs.  For example, I just did a faux booking on one of my favorite cruise agency web sites for a spring Koningsdam cruise.  It immediately brought up 4 different pricing options for each category of cabin plus a $400 OBC (not offered by HAL).  But if I look at that same cruise on HAL's web site it only brings up one pricing option!  

Hank

Yes, I'm well aware of the advantages of using other agencies besides HAL.  I only visit the HAL website to find out what the going rate is.  I then check with a certain Big Box membership store that also sell cruises.  Armed with this information, I contact my favorite Travel Agent who always gives about a 10% discount.  I prefer to use her for the discount as opposed to a large Ship Board Credit or Big Box redemption card.  She always at least matches the BBox store.  Another factor is she is a very experienced cruiser and can provide far more advice than others.

When I go to the BBStore I also see various booking options.  When I book with my favorite TA, I just ask for the difference in the cruise w and w/o the perks.  Sometimes the perks are worth it.  Usually not.

Edited by RocketMan275

I think Holland America is missing a sales opportunity by no longer displaying the Advantage rate.  My guess is that the new software they are using only allows for two fare options to be displayed and they have chosen non-refundable over advantage.  Since I am not inclined to entertain a non-refundable fare (unless it is within the final payment period) they immediately lose my interest because I do not want Explore 4.  The end result is that I am compelled to look at other sites, which is probably not the outcome they were hoping for.

11 hours ago, kazu said:

It is the basic fare (refundable) without any of the bells and whistles.  So, for example, right now, the refundable fare without Explore4

When you look for a cruise on the website do you see pricing called "advantage fare?"  Right now I only see Explore 4 or restricted fare.

Helen

9 minutes ago, HELENPSL said:

When you look for a cruise on the website do you see pricing called "advantage fare?"  Right now I only see Explore 4 or restricted fare.

Helen

yes, that is the crux of the problem!