Armonia, Cuba and Visa's

champagne123

I did a search and have come up with a million different answers.  Spotted an Armonia/Cuba cruise we are interested in.  How does a Visa work?  Do you need to purchase excursions via the ship or can you leave the ship on your own.  How do we get a Visa?   Any help from experienced  folks that have done this please. 

I am interested in this topic as well. We are booked on Armonia in May '19. We have the passport cards, but from what I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong - that is the reason for my post on the topic), we would have to upgrade to a full passport, purchase a separate visa, AND book an MSC sponsored excursion to step foot off the ship in Cuba? I am more than happy with the other 3 ports and actually would like some time on the ship without crowds. So, we may just skip Cuba altogether, but I would like to hear the clarification as requested by the OP. Thanks!

• Like 1

I think these questions will be answered once the  Cuba itineraries start in December.  That said, the Cuba FAQs, as well as the sample Affidavit of Compliance indicate that approved 3rd party excursions may be booked and you’re not limited to MSC excursions.

• Thanks 1

Almost all nationalities don´t need a visa for Cuba. 

What most need is a Tourist Card. These are provided by MSC, either free or 15 Euros per person will be charged to your account. If you don´t want to leave the boat, you can cancel the tourist card at the reception. 

I have been to Cuba on a cruise.  You do not have to take an excursion.  You can wander on your own.  The ship docks right in the heart of Havana and it is extremely easy to walk around and see on your own.  You just need to get off the ship with your passport and tourist card each time.  Fascinating place, very safe and friendly!

• Thanks 1

The requirements for Americans leaving from Miami are different than those for Europeans/other nationalities embarking elsewhere.  I’ve read that there’s a $75 visa for US travelers, but it’s unclear as of now whether it’s automatically taken care of by MSC or if we have to affirmatively do anything ahead of time.

The Miami-based Cuba itineraries are a different animal than the existing Cuba itineraries, so the experience of cruisers taking the latter isn’t really applicable to the former.  As I said earlier, once these cruises start in December and people report their experiences, a lot of these questions will be answered.  

Edited by Cauzneffct
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 7:41 PM, Cauzneffct said:

The requirements for Americans leaving from Miami are different than those for Europeans/other nationalities embarking elsewhere.  I’ve read that there’s a $75 visa for US travelers, but it’s unclear as of now whether it’s automatically taken care of by MSC or if we have to affirmatively do anything ahead of time.

That must be a special rule at Miami cruise port if Havana is the first stop.

Here you can see that the US is not one of the 20 countries, that need a visa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Cuba#Visa_required

I wonder what bad things the Pinoys did to be on that list 😄

7 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

That must be a special rule at Miami cruise port if Havana is the first stop.

Here you can see that the US is not one of the 20 countries, that need a visa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Cuba#Visa_required

I wonder what bad things the Pinoys did to be on that list 😄

It may just be semantics.  NCL and Royal Caribbean both charge $75 to procure the Cuban “visa”  for US passengers.  Whether it’s cheaper/easier to do so ourselves, I don’t know.

Passengers embarking and disembarking from Cuba:  

Documents required: 

- Passport with 3 months of remaining validity; 
- Tourist Visa (please note below specifications for some countries)
- Medical Insurance. 

The following countries can obtain a Visa to Cuba free of charge:

Russia, Belarus, Vietnam, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Benin, Namibia, Grenada, St Vincent and Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, Barbados, Dominica. 

Passengers will receive a free Tourist Visa (known in Spanish as "Tarjeta de Turism") upon their arrival in any Cuban airport or port.

China is currently subject to a Visa fee; they must already have the Tarjeta prior to starting their journey. 

The following countries, on the contrary, must have a pre-issued Visa (instead of Tarjeta) issued by any Cuban Embassy/Consulate:

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Vietnam. In case of guests of these nationalities with a Diplomatic passport: please contact in advance OCC for feedback.

Passport holders are allowed to enter Cuba with a Tarjeta whose validity is of 30 days starting from the day of entrance and for one Entry /one Exit only.  All Passengers (adults, children or infants) travelling with “Cruise Only” must buy it autonomously at their own expenses; while passengers travelling with MSC "Fly & Cruise" will get it included in the Package.  

Regardless of the age and the Package typology, a further Tarjeta (or Visa) is required at the time when the ship returns in Havana: please note that such document is available on board at the cost of € 15,00 per Passenger.  

For avoidance of doubt, the Tarjeta is not a sticker to be applied on the passport but a separate paper to be shown at the Airport or Port of Immigration together with Travel Insurance. Passengers must show the Tarjeta at the airport of departure; failing to do so, the embarkation on the selected flight could be denied.        

All passengers must be provided of Medical Insurance valid for all ports of itinerary covering costs and expenses of repatriation to the country of origin in case of injury, death and any other type of risk.  
Should Passengers undertake a Medical Insurance offered by a State Social Security System or Private Company, an appropriate written certification must be disclosed in support of such insurance coverage preferably in Spanish or, alternatively, in English. 

Airport Exit tax is no longer required to be paid at the airport of Havana or at any other Cuban airport given that it is included in the airplane ticket.     

The Use of ATM (Automatic Teller Machines) is extremely limited in Cuba and credit cards are accepted only in few places.  

For the transit in the ports of Jamaica/Cayman Islands/Mexico/Honduras/Belize, no local Visa is required regardless the nationality of passengers provided that the duration of the transit is max 24 hours with arrival/departure on the same vessel.    

Passengers embarking from Jamaica:    

Passengers are kindly informed that a passport with 3 months of remaining validity is required.   

Passengers embarking from Jamaica must have the Cuban Tourist Visa whose validity is of 30 days starting from the day of entrance in the Cuban territory for one Entry/one Exit only. Alternatively, the Cuban Tourist Visa can be purchased on board the vessel at the same price and conditions as above, € 15,00 per passenger (adults, children or infants).   

All passengers must have Medical Insurance valid in all ports of itinerary covering costs and expenses of repatriation to the country of origin in case of injury and/or death and any other type of risk. 
Should passengers undertake a Medical Insurance offered by a State Social Security System or a Private Company, an appropriate written certification must be disclosed in support of such insurance coverage, preferably in Spanish or, alternatively, in English. 

For the transit in the ports of Jamaica/Cayman Islands/Mexico/Honduras/Belize, no local Visa is required for any nationality provided that the duration of the transit is max 24 hours with arrival/departure on the same vessel.  

For the transit in the ports of Cuba: see above

Final notes:    

Please note that passengers with Cuban origin or who were born in Cuba may not be allowed to embark on the cruise ship.  Same or similar restrictions may apply for Cuban passengers with Cuban passport in possession of an official Residence Permit released by any country. Violation may create serious problems with local Immigration Authorities.   

U.S. Passengers are not allowed to enter Cuba unless the U.S. passenger has a license from OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) to travel to Cuba before embarkation.   

Passengers are strongly suggested to consult with their local Embassy for further specific and updated information regarding the above indications.   

The above is from MSC's Important Information section regarding travel to Cuba.  I am booked for December and as I am flying in from the UK they will take care of the Visa, but USA travellers are required to obtain their own.  I have highlighted these bits in red.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:00 AM, hlperez said:

I have been to Cuba on a cruise.  You do not have to take an excursion.  You can wander on your own.  The ship docks right in the heart of Havana and it is extremely easy to walk around and see on your own.

This is not true for US citizens, or at least not advisable as it is directly against most OFAC travel license reasons.

This is from the recently updated MSC USA Cuba FAQ.  So it looks like they'll take care of it.

What documents are required to cruise to Cuba?

All guests who are not Cuban-born citizens will need the following documents:  

• PASSPORT BOOK – All passengers must have their passport book and it must be valid at least 6 months after your cruise date (your passport card will NOT be accepted)
  • CUBAN VISA (a.k.a. Tarjeta del Turista) - This Visa will be available for purchase to all guests onboard during your cruise for $75 per person
  • AFFIDAVIT - All guests must have their U.S. government affidavit document completed prior to embarkation and give to the agent at check-in (please retain a copy for yourself and keep for 5 years) 
  • VALID U.S. VISA - documentation to enter the United States (when applicable, if guest is from another country outside of the USA)

*Guests may not travel to Cuba with a driver's license and/or birth certificate (including children).