Cancel anytime

Todd320

We are going to use the cancel anytime clause of the Princess platinum insurance for an upcoming cruise. How long does it take to get the credits and can you use them on a pre existing booking before final payment.

Its always nice to know what to expect before making the calls,

Thanks

We used this one time and our Travel Agent handled, but it was seamless to us.  We cancelled one cruise (about two months out) and when my agent cancelled she rebooked us on a different cruise later that same year and Princess just transferred the money.  We did not have to fill out any insurance forms or anything.   I don't know if you'd be able to use it on a pre-existing other booking but the credit is basically "instant".  

I used the Platinum Vacation Protection after final payment when I cancelled a cruise for a non-covered reason (I literally told them "I changed my mind"). It took about four days for 100% of what I had paid (minus the cost of the 'insurance'... it's not really insurance) to show as a Future Cruise Credit when I logged into 'My Princess'.

17 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Before Final Payment their is no penalty from Princess to insure ?

From a "cancel for any reason" standpoint, there is no need for any kind of insurance prior to final payment.  Anyone can cancel and get their deposit back up until then, unless they have booked with a non-refundable deposit.  Then you just lose the deposit.  Most folks don't actually buy the insurance until final payment so up until then you are not out the insurance fee.

Now if you actually buy insurance early (typically for medical look-back reasons) and back out before final payment you will have paid the insurance but  are probably not cancelling under the CFAR rule.  Insurance might reimburse a non-refundable deposit but your insurance cost is likely more than the deposit you would lose if you didn't buy insurance.

Many folks recommend buying insurance from a third party to cover your whole trip - air, hotels, ground transportation, luggage, missed connections, medical, evac, and the cruise.  But you may already have reimbursements available for a lot of these through your credit card or your normal insurance.  The third party sites like insuremytrip can advise you or check the insurance forum on cruise critic.