Belize Excursions

JaiJae

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, LostPuppy said:

Did a SCUBA excursion once in Belize and went straight from the ship to a dive boat that took us to some reef/island for the preliminaries (equipment, sign waivers, etc), out for the dive, then back to the ship.  Never set foot in Belize proper....

Another time took a water taxi from outside the gates to Caye Caulker.  Probably waited 10 minutes for the water taxi, then a 45 minute ride to the caye.  Once there we snorkeled, then had some fresh seafood at some hole-in-the-wall bar and grill on the north end of the "main" island whose name escapes me.  That was a very fun day...

I just googled Caye Caulker and it looks beautiful! Did you book this prior through someone? 

We enjoyed the Altun Ha Mayan ruins with River Wallace tour through Carnival.  The bus ride was entertaining with samples of Cashew Wine & bottled water. They passed around Belizean Currency and did a great job of telling us about Belize. The River Wallace Cruise was fun and we saw plenty of wildlife, monkeys, bats, gators, iguanas, manatees & the local coast guard. Between the boat tour and Altun Ha was a stop with local crafts & a restaurant if you wanted to try it. Very good food. 

We found the ruins, surprisingly, very very interesting.  We’d do this excursion again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 11:47 AM, bury me at sea said:

There really isn't much to do close to the port, other than shop and eat/drink.

Every excursion I know of will take you a fair distance out of the city.  There aren't even any usable beaches close.

When we don't want to spend the whole day on an excursion we've found a delightful coffee/chocolate shop close to the pier that's good for souvenir shopping.  Also, if you like beer, Belize bottles a local one, Belikin, that is really good.  My Belize mantra is, "Sit on the pier drinking Belikin beer."

We were thinking about doing the same thing. What are avg beer prices so we know how much $$ we need? Thanks!

I have been to Belize twice on cruises.  Both times, we took the San Pedro Water Taxi to Caye Caulker.   It is about a 45 minute ride to Caye Caulker.  This was done on our own with no guide.  It is THE most beautiful, tropical, post card picture place I've ever been to.  There is nothing franchised there, no paved streets, it is ALL island life.  The ticket counter is just to the left of the pier, through the gate, once you are tendered in.  There you will find lots of locals/peddlers but just keep walking and say no thank you and keep moving.  I've never felt threatened or afraid but to some it can be overwhelming.  I have two suggestions.  Pay very, very, very close attention to the time the taxi heads back to Belize City.  I believe, if I have this right, the schedule is on Belize time, not ship time????  If it hadn't have been for my husband paying attention we would have missed the last taxi back to Belize City and missed our ship!  Also, the taxi's do not have bathrooms!  Beware.  :classic_wacko:   

Hello all,  I am wondering about the snorkling wonder at barrier reef excursion.  We are with Princess Cruiseline.  Anyone who has done this excursion I would appreciate some feedback.  Thanks

On 1/28/2019 at 12:54 PM, junglecat said:

I have been to Belize twice on cruises.  Both times, we took the San Pedro Water Taxi to Caye Caulker.   It is about a 45 minute ride to Caye Caulker.  This was done on our own with no guide.  It is THE most beautiful, tropical, post card picture place I've ever been to.  There is nothing franchised there, no paved streets, it is ALL island life.  The ticket counter is just to the left of the pier, through the gate, once you are tendered in.  There you will find lots of locals/peddlers but just keep walking and say no thank you and keep moving.  I've never felt threatened or afraid but to some it can be overwhelming.  I have two suggestions.  Pay very, very, very close attention to the time the taxi heads back to Belize City.  I believe, if I have this right, the schedule is on Belize time, not ship time????  If it hadn't have been for my husband paying attention we would have missed the last taxi back to Belize City and missed our ship!  Also, the taxi's do not have bathrooms!  Beware.  :classic_wacko:   

When you get to the island Caye Caulker, is there a public beach that we can swims and snorkel from? Thank you

On 2/1/2019 at 3:10 PM, Gabruska said:

When you get to the island Caye Caulker, is there a public beach that we can swims and snorkel from? Thank you

Yes, we didn't do alot of either, we just walked around, shopped and ate.  My DH did swim near the Lazy Lizard at the end of the island.  I imagine you can swim and snorkel all around the island, I'm not sure.  My biggest piece of advise is watch the water taxi schedule/time.  It's NOT ship time.  It is hands down the most beautiful place I've been in the sense of "island life."    

7 hours ago, junglecat said:

Yes, we didn't do alot of either, we just walked around, shopped and ate.  My DH did swim near the Lazy Lizard at the end of the island.  I imagine you can swim and snorkel all around the island, I'm not sure.  My biggest piece of advise is watch the water taxi schedule/time.  It's NOT ship time.  It is hands down the most beautiful place I've been in the sense of "island life."    

Thank you, yes I am actually very nervous about getting stuck on that island and not making our boat lol. I see there are two different taxi companies? Which would you recommend? What if the taxi is full to get back on time?

On 10/31/2018 at 10:47 AM, bury me at sea said:

There really isn't much to do close to the port, other than shop and eat/drink.

Every excursion I know of will take you a fair distance out of the city.  There aren't even any usable beaches close.

When we don't want to spend the whole day on an excursion we've found a delightful coffee/chocolate shop close to the pier that's good for souvenir shopping.  Also, if you like beer, Belize bottles a local one, Belikin, that is really good.  My Belize mantra is, "Sit on the pier drinking Belikin beer."

Is the food there pretty good? Authentic?