Animal Flower Cave?

mlshum

We were there last month. We booked a tour with Glory Tours. We were the only couple on the tour, so we had the bus and the driver to ourselves. It took a while to get to the St. Lucy Parish area, where the caves are located, but our driver made a few stops to see other things, so I'm not sure how long of a drive it would be to go straight there from the cruise port. We were supposed to eat lunch there, as part of our tour, but the restaurant was closed for renovations. Out guide said that was not unusual for this time of year.  He stopped at another restaurant and we had a nice meal outside overlooking a beautiful beach. We did not see the caves, we chose to walk around and take photos of the cliffs, which were magnificent. We only had about 30 minutes in this area. If I were to return to Barbados, I would hire a cab to take me there, and spend several hours. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the question, mlshum! I never would have known about the cave. Whenginersnaps reply really has me wanting to go. Now, to decide on taking a private taxis or booking a tour. Guess, it will depend on the cost and timing.  I would like to stay in the $100 range. To bad NCL does not offer a Tour. Anyone have an opinion? If this does work out, guess I will stick to my town center/turtle plan👜🐢

Thanks again for the original post and detailed reply! Happy Cruising!

• 4 weeks later...

We were just there.  We booked a tour with Williams tours that stopped at Animal Flower Cave; tour was $85 pp and included lunch at a plantation house.  

It was $10 extra to go into the cave and we did not choose to do that.  There was no problem getting there in a port day; we were there until 5:30 though.  It was a longish drive, but we went all around the island besides that site.

• Thanks 1

We were there in January of 2017 as part group of four taking an island tour.  When one member mentioned the Caves, our guide warned us that most of the sea anemone (the animal flowers) had been destroyed in the hurricanes that fall. When we arrived at the Caves, they were closed anyway due to 'high waters'.  There was no charge to access the pretty overviews or the bar/restaurant at the area so all was not lost. But my advice is to take a tour of the island and make a visit to the Caves optional. Bathsheba and Little Bay were far more scenic in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

The Cave itself is OK.

If you're claustrophobic or anything, don't do the cave.

It's fairly basic. More of a curiosity

The scenery along the sea cliffs is much better

particularly if a North Swell is coming down

- things can get spectacular!!

Their restaurant serves up nice food, if you want to do Lunch there.

And there's a Bar.

WHALES are often seen just offshore during February and March

so keep your eyes peeled!

N.Point-008.jpg

NorthPoint-014.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Heading to the island in November.  How is the access to the restaurant? My mom walks with a cane and I am wondering about the access.  We would not be visiting the caves, but possibly enjoying a bite and a drink at the restaurant to enjoy the view. Also open to suggestions for a nice lunch spot with a view. Thanks !

We didn't eat at the restaurant, so I didn't particularly notice, but I think she would be fine there.  She might not want to walk along the cliff path, but I think she could still see some of the views.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1