Cruise for New Years Eve

Our experience several years for NYE was a count down on the Royal Promenade followed by a massive balloon drop at midnight. The party then moved to the pool deck. This was before RCL had drink packages and they did offer some cheap champagne or sparkling wine at midnight. 

I was on the Grandeur for the 2014-2015 NYE.  The Grandeur being one of the smaller and older ships in the fleet, it was impressive that they have FIVE concurrent parties going on that night.  1 in the Atrium, 1, in the Solarium, 1 on Seven Seas Lounge, 1 in the Schooner bar, and 1 in the Viking lounge.  EVERY one of them was jamming.  

Is it worth the extra cost? 

For the past few years we have been going to local resorts (We are lucky to live in a city and state that has highly rated hotels with amazing entertainment) where they offer package deals for $300-500 per couple that includes a 3-5 dinner, the party celebration, the room and breakfast the next day. This might be a better deal than a cruise. 

I am very adamant about cruising to the same places over and over when there so much in this works to explorer. So I might rather spend the cruise time and money going to new places. My neighbor wants to go on a NYE cruise but she’s not an explorer, she just likes to be in a ship because she’s afraid to fly and the unknown. 

What I remember from our Christmas cruise a couple of years ago, there were decorations, of course. Christmas Eve there was a carol sing in the Royal Promenade after dinner and a midnight mass. Christmas morning the skating rink had been turned into a "Winter Wonderland" with skating and a Santa house where kids could get visit/present from Santa (not sure if there was extra charge). Besides the MDR regular menu, there was also Christmas turkey dinner. We finished up our night watching Christmas Vacation on the big screen by the pool.

IIRC price wasn't that much higher than normal, it's usually the New Year's Cruises that have really higher prices.

Only downside I remember was we had a port stop on Boxing Day (12/26) at Costa Maya and not many shops were open. Tours were running though.