Cabin Privacy on Lower Promenade Deck?

tcpdjp

DH and I are planning on sailing on the Veendam the week of Thanksgiving and the least expensive outside cabin appears to be on the Lower Promenade Deck. We were on the Zaandam last year and when walking around the promenade I wondered about privacy for the passengers in those cabins. I don't want to keep the curtains closed since that defeats the whole purpose of an oceanvew cabin. Any of you stayed in cabins on promenade decks and if so, did you feel as if you were in a fishbowl? Would you book a promenade cabin again? Thanks in advance.

47 days until the Celebration cruise! :)

8 previous cruises on HAL, Carnival, NCL, and RCCL

Although we have not had a Cat C cabin, we did have a similar cabin on the Prinsendam but with a huge bay window facing aft on a public deck. (see photo attached).

We loved it! During the day time, folks on the outside cannot see anything on the inside unless they press their face right up against the window and shield their face from back/side light. We only saw one person do that ---- one of our tablemates!

We would open the curtains each morning to see the vista behind us and to see who was outside or in th spa.

Once the sun goes down, however, it all changes and if any lights are on in the cabin, your room is open for viewing, unless you have the curtains closed, which is really what we do anyway.

We are thinking of booking a Cat C cabin for our next "unbooked" cruise if one is available.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!

675935845_7-Prinsendamcabin197picturewindow.JPG.e22d28b74dd25e0de9c5c8f95d9b5d4b.JPG

We were on Veendam last April and had a cabin on the LP. We didn't like it. We never felt comfortable leaving the drapes open, even in the daylight, when it is difficult (not impossible) to see in from the outside. After dark, it was absolutely mandatory to keep them closed. With the lights on inside and darkness outside, seeing in is very easy. On top of that, our drapes wouldn't stay completely closed. There was always a gap of a couple of inches, particularly at the bottom.

At around 6:30am, every morning, we were awakened by the crew on deck, hosing the deck down, and dragging the deck chairs into a neat line. Then, about 7:00 or 7:30, the early risers started coming on deck, dragging the chairs where THEY wanted them, usually talking to each other rather loudly.

Don't get me wrong. We loved the Veendam in almost every other respect and would sail on her in a minute. We just wouldn't book a LP outside cabin.

Your mileage may vary. This question has come up before, and others have expressed just the opposite opinion to mine.

Paul Noble

I tried to see into my cabin from the outside. Even left my lifejacket on the shelf right next to the window; could barely see it from up close. You can see out perfectly well, but they can't see in during the daytime; an eerie feeling. But if you feel in the least bit uncomfortable with that sort of viewing arrangement, I'd recommend another type of cabin. I loved it myself.

Cabin windows are polarized, some better than others. We've stayed in these several times. I always first thing go outside to look at our window. We had one on Maasdam that the interior was quite clear in daylight. In any event you will have to close the drapes at night.

The main advantage that attracts most is having the largest balcony.;)

I tried very hard to see in my Lower Promenade cabin on the Rotterdam. Failed miserably.

At night (I toddle in very late) I would open the heavy drapery on one side and leave the shears closed. That let in plenty of light when I needed it, but still kept a degree of privacy.

We enjoyed our Lower Promenade cabin on the Maasdam. We tried first thing to see how well we could see inside. During the daytime, it was possible to see shapes and movement if the lights or TV were on. When they were off, you couldn't see in at all. At night, we would close the curtains. Sometimes, after turning off the lights, I'd partially open the heavy set of curtains and leave the shears closed so that we would have a little bit of light in the cabin instead of total darkness.

Our cabin was three doors away from an outside door. It was great to be able to be outside so quickly. I'd gladly book another cabin on that deck. (Although this time we just lucked out after booking a guarantee.)

Archived