CAYO LEVANTADO

maggie.1008

We have had our ports changed on our Nov. 15th, 2019 Riviera  cruise. We were going to Great Stirup Cay and we are now going to Cayo Levantado. 

Not sure if we should change our reservation. Can you tell me if you have been to Cayo Levantado and what you did . Cheers, Heather

Have not been but it is  an Island off DR  with  resorts 

are you still going to Punta Cana?

I could  see them exchanging PC for Cayo Levantado  as many ships miss PC due to sea conditions

Maybe CL  is more sheltered ?

We stopped at Cayo Levantado on a Regent Navigator cruise in 2011.  Those of us who chose not to take a ship's excursion (or stay aboard) were taken by tender the 1/4 mile or so to an island beach.  

The island appeared to be kind of football-shaped with our beach at one end.  There was a bar set up, a couple of souvenir vendors and some lounges on the sand.  That's it.  Some widely-spaced palm trees provided little shade.  I don't remember there being any food available, though that could be incorrect.  If you do a Google search for Cayo Levantado and click through the images, you will easily spot the exact beach:  wide, hot and boring.  

We could see from the tender when approaching that there was at least one nice-looking resort next to our beach.  However, once ashore, access to that property or anywhere else on the island was forbidden by security guards stationed along the path(s).

I recommend you take a ship's excursion to someplace more interesting unless you're starving for a few hours of baking on the sand, wondering "Why am I here?"

If you like beaches, Cayo Levantado is a much nicer beach than the one at Great Stirrup Cay.  Don't take the ship excursion there because you get on the same tender and go to the same beach and they cordon off a part of the beach with yellow crime scene tape , use the same chairs and give you a few free drinks:classic_biggrin:

When you get off the tender, there is a path to the beach that has a bunch of shacks selling stuff and there are several shacks selling food-including lobster, I believe.

The loungers(slotted plastic) are free.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a ship's tour - kayaking in a mangrove swamp with a visit to a cave with prehistoric remains. Wonderful trip. We were taken off the ship by launch for a transfer to the area with the kayaks. This was instead of tendering to the shore.