Cruising with a Handicapped Child

atruss00

My daughter, 10,  uses a wheelchair to get around, but can transfer on her own, as well as walk with assistance.  We've done WDW numerous times, so I know how accessible it is.  How accessible are the cruise ships?  We're looking at taking a 4 night cruise on the Dream in May 2019 & will obviously be getting a HA room. This is our first cruise with our kids & I'm just curious as to her ability to get around the ship, participate in activities, swim, etc.  Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, atruss00 said:

My daughter, 10,  uses a wheelchair to get around, but can transfer on her own, as well as walk with assistance.  We've done WDW numerous times, so I know how accessible it is.  How accessible are the cruise ships?  We're looking at taking a 4 night cruise on the Dream in May 2019 & will obviously be getting a HA room. This is our first cruise with our kids & I'm just curious as to her ability to get around the ship, participate in activities, swim, etc.  Thanks for your help!

I hope this is OK to post here to recommend a different website.  You might find better luck over on the Dis Boards website as they also have a DCL forum that gets lots of visitors.  There is also a forum they call disABILITIES as well.  As great a CC is the DCL board doesn't get a ton of traffic and that site is more specific.

Have a blast

Technically, it isn't allowed to post that site (I've had posts deleted) but agree, that is a better source for DCL info.

There is one poster here, mokismommy (hopefully spelled close to correct) that I believe travels with her disabled daughter who should be by and be able to answer your questions.

My daughter has an illness that causes mobility problems.  The ship is as accessible as it can possibly be.  There are a couple of places we had issues (on the Wonder, Shutters was closed one day with signs posted directing us to use the outside passageway; the problem was that the re-entry area had a step rather than a ramp.  What was really needed was to take the elevator to a different floor, go forward, then take another elevator back up.  This did not happen when Shutters was open as we'd go thru that area!).

As to swimming, there is a lift device to allow her to enter the pool--you must arrange a time for it at Guest Services as it is a portable device, not mounted poolside when not needed.  Kid programming is not an issue at all.  No problems while she is using her chair; they may or may not be comfortable providing out of chair assistance.  There are wheelchair areas for various activities (deck party, fireworks viewing, etc.)  As easy as WDW is, we found the ships to be easier.  On the Magic and Wonder, a CM will take you thru a CM only passageway so that you can get a first row seat for the theater if you are there 30 minutes before the show; otherwise it is the back row.   You must be able to transfer to use this option.  The chair is held in a safe storage area and brought to you after the show.  For the muster drill, assistance is provided (elevators are reserved for mobility impaired guests and one other; you'll be released from the drill about 2 minutes early, which allows you to get to the elevator before the crowds are released).  

The first time we cruised with a chair, I said hello to a "friend" CM who asked if he could help with anything. Since he is in dining, I did suggest that a table on an aisle would aid in transferring.  He said that it should have already been assigned that way(!) but he would confirm that it was and adjust if needed.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:30 PM, atruss00 said:

I do not have advice about traveling with a child,  but would recommend booking your room as soon as possible.  The ships have a limited number of HA rooms, and they may already be booked for May. 

10 hours ago, dcassetta said:

I do not have advice about traveling with a child,  but would recommend booking your room as soon as possible.  The ships have a limited number of HA rooms, and they may already be booked for May. 

While this is generally true, we have been able to get HA cabins within a month or two of cruising.  If you have your heart set on a particular date or cruise, book as soon as possible.  For specialty cruises, the HAs may "sell out" on day 1.  On the other hand, that is not always the case.

The worst situation  we encountered was when I attempted to book while on board, telling the booking agent that I wanted "exactly what we have now."  She  handed me a reservation that was not an HA cabin, which I pointed out to her.  I was told that there were no unbooked HAs, and I'd have to book the cat 6 she offered but be waitlisted for the HA.  When an HA didn't open, I canceled the cruise 2 days before the penalty period.  On the day after the penalty period started, 3 cat 6 HAs had opened up!  My TA contacted DCL, but they refused to reinstate the price that I'd booked at and I refused to pay several thousand dollars more.  I couldn't believe that at least 3 families had been so rude as to tie up these cabins for 15 months and then cancel at the last possible day that they could without penalty.

Bottom line--book ASAP, but you can always look  to see what is available if you choose near the cruise date.  And we did fine--we cruised Japan on a different cruise line!

• 2 weeks later...

My son is a chair user as well and we have never had any accessibility issues on board. The elevators can be a pain at peak times so we do the trip of going up or down...whichever way we can get on. The Wonder and Magic have huge HA rooms in the aft but to be honest I rather like the midship ones on Fantasy (Dream has same layout) better. Make sure and book early as someone mentioned above. They fill up fast. The cast all over the ship go out of their way to make everything as easy as possible for chairs. Even the characters make sure to kneel for all their photos 🙂

Not sure if this is a concern but be aware that kids in pull-ups or anything similar are not allowed in the kids clubs. 

One thing I DO not like is the separate tram on Castaway Cay to Serenity Bay. That's on and off twice fighting every grandma and her scooter for a spot but doesn't sound like your daughter is old enough to be out there anyway. 

Also be aware if any of your ports tender this could be an issue if you cannot  get her down or up the small flight of stairs. 

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

On 11/19/2018 at 7:38 PM, cantgetin said:

On the Magic and Wonder, a CM will take you thru a CM only passageway so that you can get a first row seat for the theater if you are there 30 minutes before the show; otherwise it is the back row.   You must be able to transfer to use this option. 

You can do this on Fantasy (so I am assuming Dream would be the same-it's the only one we haven't been on as well) and you can stay in your chair. We actually like the back row better but again you have to get to the show early to get a spot. LOTS of grandmas in scooters (think I mentioned this before 😉 )

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom