Are there tour guides at the port in St Kitts?

Ellaleah

Are there taxi drivers available to do tours?  Is this a reasonable plan?  We will have 1 day in St Kitts.  I’m interested in the scenic railroad and if it is worthwhile.  Also, any experiences with private tours operators.  Appreciate any input.  Thank you.

Are the tours at the port less expensive than the prices online? I thought I saw a post where someone said they found a full island tour for $20 pp with Calypso tours but I am not sure how current that was (& I can't seem to locate the post again!) When I look at the Calypso tour website it says $55 a person. Anyone booked at the port recently that could give me a price range? Want to do full island with Beach but not sure how tired we will be at this point since we have a full day booked at St Lucia the day before. We would prefer booking upon arrival at the port, unless it's more expensive. Thanks in advance! 

K

• 2 weeks later...

We just went to St. Kitts last year and found a tour guide when we got off the ship.  We had to wait awhile for other people that also wanted a tour of the island, because the driver wanted to fill the bus.  We toured the island and then got dropped off at a beach.  They came back to pick us up and take us to the ship.

Last time in St. Kitts, we took a tour from Sir Walter - it was $40 pp.  Lots or rum punch, if that's your thing.  They were just hanging around the cruise terminal with a board, like others, and they had a safari bus/truck with 4-5 rows of bench seats.  We made a quick stop at the Central Forest Reserve and then on to Brimstone Hill.  It was an extra fee to get into Brimstone, maybe $10.  Made a couple of other stops as well.  It was a nice tour and would do it again.

I highly recommend Michael with The Big Banana. He doesn't have any recent reviews. My group of 18 used him on December 5, 2016 and everyone said he was the best tour guide that we've used and we've been cruising since the late 70's.  He has a safari truck and a mini bus with working AC.  Additionally, he has a car service as well.  He has made me into a "Raving Fan."  I'l post his contact information tomorrow. 

• Like 1

For St. Kitts I would HIGHLY recommend Thenford Gray’s tour company.  I found him 3 years ago and have used him 3 times getting ready to book for my trip in 2020.

The first time we used the company we did the island tour with about 10-15 other people.  It was great, but we have found that we are ones that like to be in a tour of 5 or less so the last two years we have booked private tours where it was just the two of us.  We got to see so much more doing the private tour then just the regular tour.  We got to go to different things others did not get to see...this year we went to the Eco park and no one else on the ship went there.  We also got to eat a really good lunch at a hole in the wall place.  Because I wanted to go to a grocery store to get “local” spices we were able to stop there also!  

So I would say go with Thenford Grays tour company.   If you can afford it, I say do the private tour with them!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:20 PM, Ellaleah said:

Are there taxi drivers available to do tours?  Is this a reasonable plan?  We will have 1 day in St Kitts.  I’m interested in the scenic railroad and if it is worthwhile.  Also, any experiences with private tours operators.  Appreciate any input.  Thank you.

The Scenic Train is a good one -- takes you to parts of the inland you would not normally see otherwise.  :classic_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid tours by Annie. (Rum tour debacle) 

We were just canceled from our St Kitts Rum tour today (after waiting an hour for pick up) this after our tour and pick up was booked online prior to our trip and then specifically confirmed by Annie in the multiple emails during the 36 hours before the tour. 

This caused such a terrible inconvenience to us as you can imagine! Not only did this cost us a day of our very well planned and expensive vacation plans, but most important may this also cost us the opportunity to book with a more reliable and reputable local tour guide. Which basically took money away from their tour businesses as well. As a hospitality professional, and long time cruiser, this a sad day and is not acceptable. 

I just found something interesting about the train excursion.  We did it last year; booked through our cruiseline.  I knew that it could not be booked independently.

Yesterday I was browsing the St. Kitts website, and came across the train excursion, as available to hotel guests there.  It was twice the price of what we paid through our cruiseline!