Volendam in Alaska - just booked!

ghisl

I'm so excited as we've just booked for September 06. We are taking my parents along (in their 70's) and this seemed a perfect ship for them because of its size. I had a lot of confusion with regards to our cabin choice so I hope someone out there can reassure me that we booked okay. We have inside category J on the Lower Promenade Deck, midship. We are assuming that we can step out of our room and simply turn the corner to go outside. This was a major factor in our decision especially because of my folks. We had to turn down the 'upgrade possibility' because they can only upgrade one cabin at a time and even after we specifically asked, they wouldn't even consider upgrading our 2 cabins together. This really disappoints me but I'm assuming there's a good reason for it. We live in Western Canada so we've seen glaciers, mountains, true wilderness, bears, salmon...etc. I'm hoping that we can still have a unique experience and if anyone can recommend some great tours that are a must do, please post.

Alaska is fabulous. In my opinion, the lower promenade is the perfect location!! You are just steps away from a very big balcony :). I have been in that location in the past, and is was wonderful.

Wishing you a very memorable trip.

Marie

Volendam - great ship - you'll love her.

As for up-grading: one reason why they may not be able to up-grade both your cabins is that the next level of cabin may have only one opening. And if another cabin does become available at a later date, you may not have your cabins close together.

We love to do whale watching when we are in Alaska.

Congratulations on a well-chosen cruise. You'll find that the inside cabins on Lower Promenade have more room than the outsides on the same deck. Easy access to the great outdoors.

My Alaska cruise this summer will also be on the Volendam.

In Juneau it's required that you go to the Red Dog Saloon. I'm not certain why (other than I've always had a good time there), but on my first cruise to Alaska I was told that "as you drink your way around the world there are certain stops you must make". The Red Dog is one of them.

Archived