Deceptive pricing by Celebrity?

fideauxdon

I was looking at some cruise pricing on Celebrity's website last week, and I encountered something that was, in my opinion, very strange. Celebrity is currently offering one free "Go Big" perk with many of their cruises. However, when you get to the screen where you select the Perk, there is nothing that tells you that the Perk is free. There is, however, a little box to check if you don't want the perk. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want a free perk. It's possible that someone wouldn't want the Drink Package or Free Internet, but who can refuse a $300 SBC or Free gratuities? Now it's possible that someone would assume that if they check the box their cruise price would drop, but it doesn't drop. If you check the box or don't check the box, the price remains the same. I would assume that everyone who doesn't select the Perk gives Celebrity an extra $300 profit.

Here's a suggestion for Celebrity: On the Perk selection screen, and a sentence in Bold Capital Letters which reads: "PLEASE SELECT YOUR FREE PERK HERE".

Thank you, this is an on-going issue with many potential passengers who are not familiar with the pricing and how it all works, in general.

The moral is: do not think that anything is free. You will usually pay for it one way or another. If you remember this, then there will never be any surprizes or disappointments when booking. Just decide on how you wish to pay for them, if you want them at all.

bon voyage

• Like 1

The FREE perks are not free!  If you choose two FREE perks, it costs more than 1 free perk :classic_rolleyes:  In my experience, the check box usually takes you to a special rate such as exciting deal, senior rate or resident rate, or as i call them, the perk-less rates. 

The other option, may be, is to book through a TA who can provide some or all of the 'Perks' either at no charge or deeply discounted sailing where the savings will cover the 'Perks'...

Just an idea.

bon voyage

3 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

The FREE perks are not free!  If you choose two FREE perks, it costs more than 1 free perk :classic_rolleyes:  In my experience, the check box usually takes you to a special rate such as exciting deal, senior rate or resident rate, or as i call them, the perk-less rates. 

In the case of one standard perk being the same price as zero perks, you could definitely say that perk is free (unless you're using a special rate which is likely why the no perk box exists). If you choose Better or Best, it never says the additional perks are free. It says "Offers we found you". Ultimately it's not 'deceptive' to offer someone an item and have them deny the offer.