Balcony choice for Panama Canal

rgmacm

We are currently booked on the Caribbean Princess for the Panama Canal...in a Caribe balcony.  Those are half-covered/half-uncovered.  We like those for most Caribbean cruises, however, I'm beginning to second guess that decision when it comes to Panama Canal.

Will the intense heat/humidity make that 'uncovered part' unpleasant?  Would we be better off with a fully covered balcony for this particular cruise?  (There are many still available as this is a 2020 cruise...)

I'd just like some input from those who have cruised Panama...

Edited by rgmacm

The heat and humidity in Panama is no worse than the rest of the Southern Caribbean.  It may seem warmer as you move slowly through the canal, and are stationary for periods when in the locks.  The canal is only one day of your cruise, and don't plan on seeing the canal from your balcony, because you will miss 75% or more of the action.  EM

You will be heading basically south on the way to the PC, so morning sun will be on the port side, afternoon sun starboard. On the return back to F.L. the reverse is true. During the partial transit into the canal the sun will be on the port side, on exit the sun will be on the starboard side.

Regarding the Canal itself if you plan to stay on your balcony you will miss most of the views. The best views are from the upper open decks where you can move around and get 360 degree views. Deck 7 promenade also has nice views, especially from the deck 8 bow section, if open. The ship enters the canal around 6am, so sun at that time is not a big issue.

Expect it to be hot and humid in Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama. Tours in Panama are very hot and it rains a lot. 

• Thanks 1

To answer questions above....We're doing the partial transit from Ft. Lauderdale.

We're on starboard side right now.... perhaps I'll reconsider that as Skynight gave me some interesting things to think about...  (thanks)

Yes, we'll certainly be up on the deck on the day through the locks...  I know to do that!  🙂   I'm just wondering about that half uncovered balcony on the cruise as a whole - sailing days et al. but certainly once we get closer to the equator. 🙂  

Are there any more thoughts on balcony type...side of ship etc...?  I'm interested in as many opinions and thoughts...from as many people as are willing to comment on this.    I'm the person who likes LOTS of opinions!  

Thanks everyone!!!  😉  

Edited by rgmacm

I think if you are doing a partial the starboard side will have less sun.   

In the morning when the ship goes south, the port side gets the morning sun.  In the afternoon when the ship goes north, the port side again gets the afternoon sun.  

• Like 1

When we did that cruise we had full covered balcony and we very much enjoyed that.  As I can not sit in the sun for long this made the time we went through a great joy able.  I do not remember what deck it was on but we where one deck up from the post lights that shine in the water and this was fun to see the fish / other in the water at night , boy there was some veryl big others in the waters, that scared the little fishes away.  I hope this helps