flight schedule following pre-cruise extension arrives to ship after embarkation time

OnTheJourney

Didn't expect this. Our embarkation time for DV2 is 11 a.m., and yet they assigned us a flight from Oslo (pre-cruise extension port) to Bergen (where the cruise begins) that doesn't arrive until 1:00. I'd hate to wind up missing lunch onboard. Flip side of the coin, I suppose, is the possibility of missing an included breakfast in the hotel prior to leaving Oslo if the flight would wind up being too early. 

I talked to air services and the guy said that it's possible that a few weeks from now the air itinerary could even change in such a way that we might be given an earlier flight or could change it with no extra cost (?) And yet before he said that he mentioned that to make any changes we'd need to upgrade to air plus at $100 pp. (?)  Confusing....The ship does not leave Bergen until the following day so it's not like there is any concern about departure time, but I'm just a bit bummed that we won't be able to board when the rest of DV2 is eligible to do so. Worth changing the flight time or not? 

Any suggestions appreciated. I've never done any trips with Viking and so are not well versed in how they operate with regards to some of these issues. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

I believe ALL passengers are allowed to board the ship beginning at 11:00 A.M.  There are no specific boarding times assigned to each stateroom category.  The assigned times have to do with stateroom access. As a DV passenger, you will not have stateroom access until 2:00 P.M.  You will still be able to have lunch when you arrive.  If the World Café has already closed you can have lunch at the Pool Grill, which is very good.

No need to change your flight.

Enjoy your cruise.

Unless you think the lunch on board the ship is worth $200 I wouldn't bother.  In any case the World Café will most likely be serving lunch until at least 3:00pm.  If you initiate the changes it will require Viking Air Plus at $100 pp as you stated.  If they change, obviously, no charge.  My thoughts, go with the flow and have a good time.  You are most likely on at +- 14 day cruise, one lunch is not worth worrying about.

8 hours ago, planterx2 said:

I believe ALL passengers are allowed to board the ship beginning at 11:00 A.M.  There are no specific boarding times assigned to each stateroom category.  The assigned times have to do with stateroom access. As a DV passenger, you will not have stateroom access until 2:00 P.M.  You will still be able to have lunch when you arrive.  If the World Café has already closed you can have lunch at the Pool Grill, which is very good.

No need to change your flight.

Enjoy your cruise.

I can confirm from our recent wonderful cruise that we were permitted (according to the paperwork) to board the ship at 1100hrs, and that our accommodation (PS1) was going to be available from 1100 also.  However, our flight landed at 1115hrs, and by the time we got actually onboard the ship it was about 1245hrs.  We had such a lovely time chatting with other passengers on the coach from airport to ship that we forgot about lunch, but did manage a quick snack in the World Café.

We did notice the Pool Grill offering, and there was a good choice of nicely prepared food available.  If necessary, we could always have ordered food in I suppose?

As far as I know, passengers in other grades of accommodation just got on with having lunch in the WC or PG and then got access to their staterooms.

Don't worry about missing lunch - you can always find something.  However, having said that, because of previous experience with other cruise lines, we always board the flight outbound with snacks in our luggage, just 'in case'.  (Funny really, because it is in the case!).

• Like 1

gretschwhtfalcon,

Haven't done an Ocean Cruise before, but based on my research for our August 2019 Med Cruise, 
DV stateroom amenities include:

• 11:00 AM embarkation
  • 2:00 PM stateroom access
  • 24-hour room service

So you should be able to use room service if nothing else is available.  I have seen somewhere that room service is complimentry, but haven't been able to verify it.  

Maybe someone who has sailed with Viking before can confirm complementary room service.

Room service is complimentary and while they aren't complimentary unless you are on the drinks package, you can even have drinks delivered from the bar. I believe it is complimentary wine and beer only during meal hours, other times you will be charged.

Other nice perks you can look forward to on your cruise:

• Leave the rum-runners home. You can bring on board any potent potable you want, so feel free to sample the local beers, wines, liqueurs. etc.
  • You can drink your potent potables anywhere you want, without having to hide them in a sippy cup. No one gets upset if you carry your bottles into the bars. The bartenders will give you glasses if you ask.
  • There is no corkage fee in the dining room.
  • All coffees (except those made with alcohol), tea, hot chocolate are free 24/7 (Deck 1 bar makes the best; MDR breakfast coffee was the worst; WC has a dispenser which is somewhere between the two)
  • Seating in the main dining room is first come, first served. You may ask for a table for two or to share a larger table.
  • There is a sushi/seafood bar in the World Cafe each night, no charge. For those who want a seafood appetizer, you can stop there and then head downstairs to dinner.
  • Always check both sides of the buffet as there are different stations on each side.
  • Free gelato at lunch and dinner

On embarkation day, World Cafe will be open from Noon - 2pm but if you get there after 2:30, be sure to check both sides as they may close just one side at 2pm and keep the other side open a bit longer. Other places to cadge a snack after the buffet closes are Deck 1 Bar, Pool Grill (great burgers; gluten-free rolls available) and a bit later in the afternoon Mamsen's in the Explorer's Lounge and there is always room service.

• Thanks 1

Peregrina...thanks for the additional info. I'm thinking we probably won't make it onboard before World Cafe closes but will certainly check to find out if one side might still be open. Still sort of disappointed that our flight out of Oslo isn't a bit earlier, but I can't see paying the additional "Air Plus" fees to try to change it. If things turn out that we like Viking a great deal, I'm sure we'll be booking more trips with them - would especially like to try one of their river trips. 

Regarding seating in the MDR, so Viking doesn't do anything similar to "my time dining" (?) which is what we've usually done on cruises - always reserving a time for just the two of us. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

1 hour ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Peregrina...thanks for the additional info. I'm thinking we probably won't make it onboard before World Cafe closes but will certainly check to find out if one side might still be open. Still sort of disappointed that our flight out of Oslo isn't a bit earlier, but I can't see paying the additional "Air Plus" fees to try to change it. If things turn out that we like Viking a great deal, I'm sure we'll be booking more trips with them - would especially like to try one of their river trips. 

Regarding seating in the MDR, so Viking doesn't do anything similar to "my time dining" (?) which is what we've usually done on cruises - always reserving a time for just the two of us. 

If you go to the specialty restaurants, they do take reservations and encourage you to make them.  We have not had a problem getting a table for 2 without a reservation in the MDR.  We might have had to wait maybe 10 minutes, at the most on an occasion but that is usually not the case.  remember there are only 930 people on board and not everyone eats at the same time or in the same restaurant.  I don't like to go when the restaurant opens but some people always like to do that regardless if they are shopping or eating.  Those people usually have to wait.  Fifteen minutes after they start serving should be fine to let the opening rush die down and you should be fine.  I would suggest you go to the Restaurant upon boarding and check out the layout.  You will be surprised how many 2 tops there are.  Some are with booth seating on one side and others are really tables for 2.  Some are even located against the wall, towards the aft.  If you see one that you like, ask the people what you need to do see about getting that table.  It should be no problem. 

3 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Unless you are already ticketed, there are no additional fees from Viking. Additional fees would come from the airlines.

As for the MDR, they don't usually take standing reservations except perhaps for large parties traveling together who need one of the larger tables that seat 8-12 people BUT that doesn't mean that you can't do it that way. On the other hand, reservations are preferred at the two specialty venues. Sometimes, you can just walk up and be seated or be told to come back a later time but on the shorter cruises, don't depend on this.

2 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Peregrina...can onboard credit be used towards optional shore excursions? 

I can give you a definitive maybe on this one. OBC comes in flavors and it depends on what flavor you have been given. If you can use it, it will show up in your cart as a payment option. There have been a couple of threads on this topic, so go back a few pages (maybe to this past mid-summer).