How much for a glass of NZ Sauvignon?

Barwick Cruiser

Trying to justify the cost of upgrading with the current promo.  It would help to know what the cost of a glass of NZ Sauvignon costs onboard as this is my go to!  Doesn't matter which vineyard is came from, haven't tasted one that I didn't like yet...anyone have a list or been onboard recently and can remember?

Thanks so much!!

Just checked a menu from my cruise a month ago.   I found a couple Sauvignon's 

Passport Bar

Villa Maria - New Zealand        $12.00

Gran Aeaucaria - Chile                  9.00

Ocean View Cafe

Wairau River Marlborough , NZ   $14.00

The Ned, Marlborough, NZ           $12.00

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Trying to justify the cost of upgrading with the current promo.  It would help to know what the cost of a glass of NZ Sauvignon costs onboard as this is my go to!  Doesn't matter which vineyard is came from, haven't tasted one that I didn't like yet...anyone have a list or been onboard recently and can remember?

Thanks so much!!

On our Med cruise a year ago, we had the classic package. I always asked for NZ Sav, sometimes I was charged a dollar or two, other times not. For the dollar or two up charge, the waiters sometimes obviously decided it wasnt worth the hassle. I did carry around a few euros which I tipped with - mainly in the outdoor bar. Everyone was happy. 

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just checked a menu from my cruise a month ago.   I found a couple Sauvignon's 

Passport Bar

Villa Maria - New Zealand        $12.00

Gran Aeaucaria - Chile                  9.00

Ocean View Cafe

Wairau River Marlborough , NZ   $14.00

The Ned, Marlborough, NZ           $12.00

Thanks Jim, just wondering whether the service charge is included on those prices?  I know that cruises from Southampton increase the Classic limit to $11 and list prices that include the tax and we'll be doing Caribbean where limit is only $9 and service charge is added afterwards.

Cathy

I just got back last week and the Villa Maria from Marlborough was good and it was $12.  Each bar/venue has different wines. That was in the main dining room.  One bar did have a Marlborough S Blanc for a little less I believe.  

One thing I found frustrating was each of the 12 bars had different wines by the glass. If you come to like certain wines, you won't find them all over the ship.  Some venues had few wines by the glass for the premium drink package (of course they had cheaper stuff you could get).  However, since I do drink martinis, I found the premium worth upgrading to.  I got it 30% off  through an online offer.   

Edited by michaeljc70

12 minutes ago, michaeljc70 said:

I just got back last week and the Villa Maria from Marlborough was good and it was $12.  Each bar/venue has different wines. That was in the main dining room.  One bar did have a Marlborough S Blanc for a little less I believe.  

One thing I found frustrating was each of the 12 bars had different wines by the glass. If you come to like certain wines, you won't find them all over the ship.  Some venues had few wines by the glass for the premium drink package (of course they had cheaper stuff you could get).  However, since I do drink martinis, I found the premium worth upgrading to.  I got it 30% off  through an online offer.   

Thank you Michael...that's $3 over the Classic limit so two glasses and the upgrade will pay for itself.  I don't have to stick with VM, any NZ Sauvignon will do lol!  My husband likes the craft and more upgraded beers as well as Crown Royal so I think it'll def pay for him to upgrade as well.  Hope you had a good cruise, what ship and itinerary was it?

Cathy

4 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thank you Michael...that's $3 over the Classic limit so two glasses and the upgrade will pay for itself.  I don't have to stick with VM, any NZ Sauvignon will do lol!  My husband likes the craft and more upgraded beers as well as Crown Royal so I think it'll def pay for him to upgrade as well.  Hope you had a good cruise, what ship and itinerary was it?

Cathy

It was a 13 day Mediterranean/Adriatic itinerary.  I went mostly to see Dubrovnik. It was a great trip.  

If you like Red Bull, martinis, certain cordials/after dinner drinks and better wines the premium pkg is worth it IMO.  The one Pinot Noir I drank at dinner mostly was $14 a glass (Cherry Pie).  If you are you very light drinker, then it is probably cheaper to just pay the difference.  Personally, it was nice never having to sign for any drinks and deal with that knowing it was all prepaid.   In the dining room and bars once they know you and what you drink, with the premium pkg they will just keep filling your glass of wine and not even ask for your card. 

Though the trip was great and there were many positives, a few negatives did stick out (I've been on about 15 cruises, mostly Celebrity):  more nickel and diming (pay to stay on boat on last day, shuttles that used to be free, etc.) ,   small food portions in main dining room (not a big thing since you can order as many as you want, but still- and I'll add I am not expecting chain restaurant type portions) and  dining room service was fairly poor.  The other thing was Red bull is included in the premium pkg and at many bars they didn't have it or had to go get it and it took forever. Instead of bringing 6 cans or whatever they would bring 1 and next time it was the same story. 

What ship/itinerary are you going on?

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Cathy

$3 over for two glasses = $6.  Upgrade costs $10?

4 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

$3 over for two glasses = $6.  Upgrade costs $10?

Actually with the current promo, it's costing me $10 Cdn, which equals $7.50 US....so, $3US per upcharge plus the 18% is pretty close to what the upgrade equals in Cdn$.  Sounds confusing but pretty sure it's a good deal for us right now with this promo.  And that's just two glasses of wine...we'd probably get Aspen Coffees, Bailey's, Cointreau, better beers etc etc.

5 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thanks Jim, just wondering whether the service charge is included on those prices?  I know that cruises from Southampton increase the Classic limit to $11 and list prices that include the tax and we'll be doing Caribbean where limit is only $9 and service charge is added afterwards.

Cathy

Hi Cathy -

Yes the 18% gratuity is added to the menu price for a single glass of wine.  May be another reason why the Premium Package may be a good deal.    

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hi Cathy -

Yes the 18% gratuity is added to the menu price for a single glass of wine.  May be another reason why the Premium Package may be a good deal.    

Thanks, Jim, that would mean a glass of the Ned would be $5US plus 18% over the classic package.  Wow, def will be in my best interest to upgrade packages then!!  Thanks so much and looking forward to you and Iain sailing again...miss my morning dose of cruise updates from you!!

Cathy

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hi Cathy -

The 18% is added to the difference between the Classic and Premium as well as the upgrade from the Classic to the Premium.

56 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

The 18% is added to the difference between the Classic and Premium as well as the upgrade from the Classic to the Premium.

Agree...the price I was quoted for the upgrade included the 18% whereas if I went with the classic onto the ship I'd be paying the difference in the actual drink price plus the 18% and that would be in US$ where I've gotten the upgrade in $Cdn.  I did clarify that the upgrade to the premium package included the service charge and it did.