Shopping In port?

dis2cruise

Never been here before however, no excursion for us since my mom has difficulty walking.  My 

mom will have a scooter.  

However, Is there decent port shopping near by?

Also, does Dominica have anything know for such as booze, food or crafts 

that is a must to purchase??

Thanks!!

I use a scooter.  This port, IMO, is not worth getting off the ship unless you have a booked tour through the cruise ship.  We got off and couldn’t get back on the ship fast enough.  The streets were jammed with cars and the people were yelling and arguing in the streets.  Shopping is very limited at this port.  Like I said, if there’s a tour, i’ve heard there are beautiful areas inland.

• Like 1

I was also recently in Roseau, with a different experience than iuki. The main street right in front of the pier was closed to traffic except for the local tram. There were two rows of tents on the main street, with various vendors. Also the area behind the main street and to the left of the pier was lined with vendors. Most of them were selling the usual Caribbean items that you see at every port. I did find some local soaps.

The area is not very scooter friendly, but if you head into the Fort Young Hotel you will find a shaded eating area with lovely views and local beer. The hotel is quite accessible.

This island was heavily hit by last year's hurricane. My sister and I bought as many of the T shirt/ beachy items as we could here, to help the local economy. As we moved from stall to stall all the vendors thanked us for sharing the wealth, so to speak. We ended up going back to the ship to get more cash.

For us it was a very good stop, with very pleasant interactions with the Dominican folks.

This is one of the most beautiful, natural islands in the Caribbean and I would highly recommend you do a tour. We used a taxi company who tailored a tour to meet the needs of our friend who has difficulty walking. We had an amazing time with them 

www.bumpiingtours.com

We were just in Roseau this past week for the first time and had a great experience. We used AnTours for river tubing and a visit to Mero Beach and Trafalgar Falls. While those options aren’t suited for someone using a scooter, they may offer other options for those with limited mobility. It is a beautiful area and well worth seeing.

As far as shopping, we saw mostly local vendors as mentioned above. We did not find them pushy at all and a polite “No, Thank You” was all that was needed. The personnel in the shops on Main Street in St Thomas were far more pushy and annoying.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:13 PM, JT1962 said:

We were just in Roseau this past week for the first time and had a great experience. We used AnTours for river tubing and a visit to Mero Beach and Trafalgar Falls. While those options aren’t suited for someone using a scooter, they may offer other options for those with limited mobility. It is a beautiful area and well worth seeing.

As far as shopping, we saw mostly local vendors as mentioned above. We did not find them pushy at all and a polite “No, Thank You” was all that was needed. The personnel in the shops on Main Street in St Thomas were far more pushy and annoying.

We've been to Dominica several times and I agree that it's a beautiful island.

We're going again this winter and I'm not sure we want to do a tour again this time, though.

Is Mero Beach worth going to for the day?